How BIG is to BIG

I'm with you only a pointer let them go and do what they were breed for if they are trained at all they will come back and check in

Let your pointer roll. That's the way they are made. The key is biddability and the pup needs to be hunting for you and not self hunting. If the pup is running big, but keeping track of you and checking in, you're in good shape. He will learn to stick and hold roosters, but that is something that only experience hunting them will teach him. Can't be taught on a preserve or in the yard and it isn't learned in one or two seasons.

I find when my Brittany points one about 100 yards. The bird will slip out when it hears me walking in for the flush. He will tell me with his eyes the bird has moved even though he still is on point. I have the dog relocate and find the bird again. Those birds are usually in the bag. He rarely bumps one, if he does it is usually the wind is blowing in the same direction he is going...........Bob

I find when my Brittany points one about 100 yards. The bird will slip out when it hears me walking in for the flush. He will tell me with his eyes the bird has moved even though he still is on point. I have the dog relocate and find the bird again. Those birds are usually in the bag. He rarely bumps one, if he does it is usually the wind is blowing in the same direction he is going...........Bob
thats great he never bumps one bob but in kansas when you go into a milo field your not dealing with 1 2 3 or 4 birds your dealing with at least fifty to a hundred so bumping a bird is going to happen mostly out the ends or sides but there will be birds that will hold if you get them trapped little different here in where i call gods country

I think the only time my britts don't bump a bird is when there is good cover with snow on the ground

So when your dog is running the outside of a slough and he points into the slough how far away are the birds he is pointing.

So when your dog is running the outside of a slough and he points into the slough how far away are the birds he is pointing.

ive seen him hit covey of quail on good wet scent conditions 40 yards .This was hard for my dad to understand to he wanted to hunt the roughest most toughest wooliest cover there was and i hated it think about it moeller when birds are in cover how do they act? birds like to come in and out of cover for example lets say there in crp and crops are along it birds will feed and then pop back in the cover well that leaves scent on the edges and if you got a dog with a nose he should stickem not that mine does all the time sometimes im emberrsed but each day is diff as it is with us i have bad days to beleive it or not!lolpheas are diff but act the same way but my dog will point i will go in nothing so you know its running a great PHEASANT DOG will hook way wide and try to cut him off my buddies dog does this and she is an very exp pheas dog but noth that great on quail but the answer to your question is if its quail prob from where your dog is pointing about ten feet if your pheas hunting never know ive seen them really smart and right under the dogs nose cmon ks hunters help me out here

The reason I ask is because in my neck of the woods there is little CRP. Almost everything I hunt is cattails between 5yards wide to 200 yards wide. Often the dog will be running 15 to 20 yards into the slough and kicking up birds. Now did we push them in that far or were they in there hunkered down. Most of the time I do not start hunting until 12 so the birds are done eating and have flown back into thick cover and are not in the trasitional zone. A lot of years the first 5 yards are blown in with snow.

First I want to say thanks for all the replys as a real rookie I just dont want to do anything to wrong with the pup that I will regret and spend a lifetime correcting. To answer a couple of questions he is under control and yes he checks in often enough that I am comfortable. I just thought maybe he was out to far but realized I had no clue as to what out to far was it is amazing watching a dog work I cant wait for the season and see how things go.

Only a Pointer. Boy would I love to have your trouble. If I see 3 birds at one time that is a whole day for me. With that many birds I wouldn't mind an accidental bump now then. Please note, I did Not say never I said he Rarely......Bob

Only a Pointer. Boy would I love to have your trouble. If I see 3 birds at one time that is a whole day for me. With that many birds I wouldn't mind an accidental bump now then. Please note, I did Not say never I said he Rarely......Bob
ya i knew birds were sparse in your area we could go on and on on this one its a great thread i love it.i was hoping more kansas hunters would try and explain as i am not that great of typing and making people understand

First I want to say thanks for all the replys as a real rookie I just dont want to do anything to wrong with the pup that I will regret and spend a lifetime correcting. To answer a couple of questions he is under control and yes he checks in often enough that I am comfortable. I just thought maybe he was out to far but realized I had no clue as to what out to far was it is amazing watching a dog work I cant wait for the season and see how things go.
great thread got me on the edge of my seat you can learn a ton on here recon i definately have!some people on here and i will say about 2percent talk and i know dnt have a clue they talk and its like what are you talking about your so full of sh%^&* but most really do know who have lots of experience hunting, dogs, kansas hunting, hunting styles, techniques,guns, bird patterns, you name it someone will know

I've been thinking a lot on this subject since it started. In the country I hunt I want my dogs hunting closer than I do when in a lot of that open country to the south of me:p It's a lot easier to control a dogs range in than out if you catch my drift. Give anyone a dog that doesn't overrun his nose and he's going to kill birds. It's hard to tell someone with little to no experience with bird dogs or pheasants how there dog should range.

Ok so maybe a mile isn't exactly all that accurate but he is definitely out 200/300 yards it just seemed like a mile shoot I cant even see a mile in some of the stuff we were in :)

half a mile is still to far. you cant shoot a bird that far... and if your dog goes on point, you arent gonna find your dog if its in brush or tall crops. i still stand at 20 yards up to 40 yards. its no fun to miss a bird. at a half a mile away, your bb's coming out of the barrel is gonna spread and spread to the ground if youre aiming toward a bird at half a mile away instead at 10 yards up in the air. think about it. your dog is gonna get hit at that distance bc we all know pheasants dont fly high. they will get up high enuf and then hover the ground.... shoot that bird going away from the dog, youre gonna end up hitting your dog. at 10-20 yards, the birds are gonna want to fly higher than you so they will go straight up and then gain distance.

also most of you know i was in law enforcement... training gets to me when i shoot. i always think about bbs spreading like a cone, and i think about if i dont hit the bird or the bbs that dont hit the bird, where is it gonna go? often time i see hunters in another field, i hear shooting, next thing i feel are bb's hitting my chest at low speed. oh you damn right i went over and said something, even then i had my flashy badge with me.

alot to consider, i dont want my dog in the path, and i wouldnt allow to shoot a bird at greater distance of 50 yards, and i always make sure theres no objects that i can hurt in the distance.

half a mile is still to far. you cant shoot a bird that far... and if your dog goes on point, you arent gonna find your dog if its in brush or tall crops. i still stand at 20 yards up to 40 yards. its no fun to miss a bird. at a half a mile away, your bb's coming out of the barrel is gonna spread and spread to the ground if youre aiming toward a bird at half a mile away instead at 10 yards up in the air. think about it. your dog is gonna get hit at that distance bc we all know pheasants dont fly high. they will get up high enuf and then hover the ground.... shoot that bird going away from the dog, youre gonna end up hitting your dog. at 10-20 yards, the birds are gonna want to fly higher than you so they will go straight up and then gain distance.

hover? I don't know what kind of birds you are hunting but a wild bird doesn't hover.

Back