HEVI-SHOT Turkey Ammo

Mr Hyde

I had a dream.... that one day an ammo manufacture would blend the best shot sizes together for turkey hunting and my Dream was answer. Hevi-shot blended 5,6, and 7 together to make "MAGNUM BLEND" I haven't shot it yet but I am intrige to see the shot pattern. Has anybody shot this yet ??

2944f22e4ea7b64b.jpg

2944f22e4ea8622c.jpg

I'm intrigued to shoot some of the Federal 3" 20 Turkey Loads

PHT258F 6 20-ga, 3”, 1-1/2 oz, #6 HEAVYWEIGHT 1100 fps
PHT258F 7 20-ga, 3”, 1-1/2 oz, #7 HEAVYWEIGHT 1100 fps"

I'm not sure some auto's are even up to the task of shooting 1-1/2oz loads out of them. They have to snocker the poop out of ya I bet.

Unless you use specific heavi-shot chokes you may get laterally oblong patterns, that has been my experience. I suspect some stringing as well but lack the equipment to test that. Density on target is adequate,just better with the specific choices.

Unless you use specific heavi-shot chokes you may get laterally oblong patterns, that has been my experience. I suspect some stringing as well but lack the equipment to test that. Density on target is adequate,just better with the specific choices.

I do have a Cabela's extra full choke for Hevi-shot I am willing to put one shell to the test thanke for the information

I'm not sure some auto's are even up to the task of shooting 1-1/2oz loads out of them. They have to snocker the poop out of ya I bet.

OP I made the mistake of ordering 3 1/2 inch @1200 fps so I think my shoulder will be feeling it if I shoot a turkey.

OP I made the mistake of ordering 3 1/2 inch @1200 fps so I think my shoulder will be feeling it if I shoot a turkey.

Ah, your a tough guy..you can handle it:cheers:

Not to hijack this thread, but I did a very unscientific test of 1 round of this ammo. Gun was a 26in fixed choke mod barrel on my Beretta O/U at a distance of 40 long paces. Fired offhand at a sheet of standard typing/copy paper. Pretty evenly covered with no big holes and a total of 56 pellets of No.6 impacting. Turkey would have been dead, but in my 5lb 14oz. gun I decided to save the other four for a live target.

BobM

Yes, I should it solely, as does my wife. I was just at a local sporting goods store this past weekend for a turkey expo and the stuff was outselling the HS Hevi-13 turkey loads, and they were clearance priced at 8.99 for 2 3/4", 10.99 for 3", and 12.99 for 3 1/2". I do shoot it out of a HeviShot turkey choke from Carlson's though, and get good patterns. My wife has yet to compare her JellyHead to the HS choke I just got her for her 20ga Nova. Good luck.

I would agree. Trying to stuff 1 1/2 oz. of shot down a 20 ga. barrel is a lot possibly leading to long shot strings and blown patterns. But, I guess if it patterns well in your gun "go for it". In the patterning I've done I've often found that a shell with a lessor amount of shot will actually throw more shot in the killing zone than one with more shot. I found this especially true when patterning for turkey hunting using a turkey head targets. Throwing more shot out there doesn't always produce the desired results.

Old topic I know.. BUT to answer a reply, the Hevi Shot Magblend can and will pattern great out of many different chokes. I personally have a Jebs in one of my Berettas for Turkey hunting and the patterns are insane. And another of my guns has a Turkey Creek choke and again insane patterns. So it really boils down to each gun/choke so give the MagBlend a try.

Hevi Blended vs. Winchester Longbeard XR

Ok, I tested the Blended Hevi loads in spring 2013 in the CZ 612 Wildfowl Magnum and liked what they looked like on paper, but didn't get in use them on a live subject.:confused:

Now with that said I tried the Longbeard XR in the #6 shot this year and was highly impressed with it's performance. I killed two birds and it devastated them.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
The LB XR loads have a unique additive that holds the shot together as it travels down the barrel thus causing it not to deform and lose energy. you can see it on my youtube video. Search 2014 Eastern Turkey KS. The kill shot is about 3:30.

I am sold on Winchester loads and plan to use them again the day before Rooster season starts on a RIO hunt. :cheers:

Kick'em Up!

Back