Hens

McFarmer

While making the first pass with the planter here in NW Iowa I saw more hens out getting grit/feeding or whatever they were doing than I have in years.

One spot had 20-25 hens together with one rooster. If the cold and wet conditions stay away it should be a good spring for them.

Southeast Iowa is looking very promising as well. A gentle spring and nice summer will seal the deal...:thumbsup:

Thanks for the good news Mc.:thumbsup: I may be making a trip to Iowa this year to hunt wild birds. I have a strange obsession with wild Iowa pheasants for some reason. A nice burly Iowa rooster on my wall will put a smile on my face.:)

Nick

I have a few relatives who work for the county driving road graders etc., here in NW Iowa. They've been seeing many birds ! I did see quite afew myself after last season. If the weather stays favorable it should be a good year.

Have a hen on the nest less than 50 feet from my dog pen. At least 12 eggs in there and she is sitting tight thru all kinds of weather. Hens lose their scent when nesting tho I have one dog that has sniffed a couple out. Hope I can keep her hid for 23 days!

Have a hen on the nest less than 50 feet from my dog pen. At least 12 eggs in there and she is sitting tight thru all kinds of weather. Hens lose their scent when nesting tho I have one dog that has sniffed a couple out. Hope I can keep her hid for 23 days!

You guys have a whole different bird out there:). There's no way in heck one of our wild hens would nest that close to anything let along a dog pen. We need some of our stock down here. Bring some down will you:D

Nick

Saw 2 nests at the field trial this last weekend in ND. Both had the same count of 14 eggs. But that cold rain and snow was a bummer. Not sure it will affect them or not. Should be OK. Seen lots of birds, hear lots of roosters. I think it's going to be a stellar bounce back year.:thumbsup:

I think it's going to be a stellar bounce back year.:thumbsup:

Yeah. So far so good:thumbsup: I don't want to speak too soon, but looking at were we are now and if it keeps up we could be looking at a very good season:)

Nick

Doing some thistle control on the new CRP and ran across a destroyed nest and lots of hen feathers.

Might set some live traps. Raccoon ? I always release them over the fence, with a warning shot to not come back.

So the last few days I have been seeing groups of hens with a rooster on the sides of the gravel roads. No chicks yet.

Think these hens lost their nests somehow ?

If we don't have a good hatch this year the DNR is going to have to come up with a new reason. Last winter's weather was certainly not what I would call tough, and this spring has been near ideal.

So the last few days I have been seeing groups of hens with a rooster on the sides of the gravel roads. No chicks yet.

Think these hens lost their nests somehow ?

If we don't have a good hatch this year the DNR is going to have to come up with a new reason. Last winter's weather was certainly not what I would call tough, and this spring has been near ideal.

Thanks for the upday Mc.:)

Did the hens seem to be apart of his harem? Hen's will leave the nest to feed, relieve themselves, find grit, etc. They'll stay near him while he keeps watch over his territory and his hen's. So those hen's may already be breed and nesting.

Nick

How does breeding work? Does the hen lay one egg a day? Is the hen and rooster together more than once? Does one egg then hatch everyday? I should know this.

How does breeding work? Does the hen lay one egg a day? Is the hen and rooster together more than once? Does one egg then hatch everyday? I should know this.

She can store his semen, so once she's bred she should be good. She'll lay her eggs (typically) one a day--after laying she'll leave her nest--at this point she doesn't incubate.

Once she's finished laying she'll then return to her nest to stay, and incubate her eggs--therefore, because she started incubating all her eggs at the same time, they will hatch on the same day.

Nick

Last edited:
According to my PF calendar, the peak of the pheasant hatch is-today, June 11.

And a somewhat related side note, what part of the state are you in? I've watched some of my hunting areas in NW iowa get some pretty terrific rainfall which always worries me. But you're right- if those rainstorms don't get 'em all teh other conditions were real good this winter/spring....

Last edited:
According to my PF calendar, the peak of the pheasant hatch is-today, June 11.

And a somewhat related side note, what part of the state are you in? I've watched some of my hunting areas in NW iowa get some pretty terrific rainfall which always worries me. But you're right- if those rainstorms don't get 'em all teh other conditions were real good this winter/spring....

I'm in eastern Clay county. Our land borders Trumbull lake.

Back