Hen! Hen! Rooster!

I am responsible for deciding when to pull the trigger for myself. If I cannot see well enough to identify a bird is it possible that the sun may be causing me to not see another hunter or something else? Pretty damn slim chance of this happening but I'm not going to risk it.

I am responsible for deciding when to pull the trigger for myself. If I cannot see well enough to identify a bird is it possible that the sun may be causing me to not see another hunter or something else? Pretty damn slim chance of this happening but I'm not going to risk it.
Great point, Gatzby. It's not just about hen or rooster. It seems like common sense, but then it ALL seems like common sense, & still, accidents happen. Ace flushed this one very late on opening day last season. There could've pretty easily (although unlikely) been something/somebody else in my sight picture & I'd have never known it. I was practically seeing spots because of that sun. (We were 'supposed' to have had our 3rd bird by that point. :ROFLMAO:)
cant tell.JPG

Ive hunted with a group of guys, 8-10 in a line and as the birds flying in front of us they are all yelling hen, hen, hen then when it gets in front of you, you see that it’s a rooster. They kept doing it all day! It almost like someone told them opposite. Lol. Wouldn’t shoot either, always said they were to far out. Out of staters, drove along ways to hunt and not shoot. I get a lot of birds when I hunt with them😜
This will be my group of 8 hunters' 26th straight season in South Dakota. We are from Georgia and we have gotten pretty good with our tactics and non-verbal communication. We all know what to do and when to do it to maximize fun and safety. We have a blast every year - birds or no birds.

A few days ago I was on the recliner, watching a pheasant hunt on YouTube. One of my Springers was asleep on my lap. One of the guys in the video yelled "rooster!" Berkley shot up, muscles all tense, looking around for the bird...apparently I yell "rooster", even though I mostly hunt alone?

Last edited:
Speaking of Hen, Hen. Two years ago I took one of my neighbors with me to eastern CO. He had hunted with me once before, about my age (70 now). He was to my right. A bird gets up between us and I yelled hen, hen! BOOM. He shoots and misses. I walk over and questioned why he shot. He said "I thought you were saying Ken, Ken", his name. True story.
Tom

Nobody I hunt with calls out anything, ever. Always remain silent. My dog doesn't need commands, or a ridiculous e collar.She knows what to do, because of thousands of hunting hours. If somebody accidentally shoots a hen, I don't care.Just don't make a habit of it.No drinking until after hunting is over.No smoking dope.No grab ass.

The standing around at the truck talking , the gear, the getting ready. Car doors being open and closed multiple times by the same GUy! and then being left open for me to walk back and shut.
Guys packing for the day like they’ll be gone for a week. The mess in the truck, hard gun cases , giant coolers.
Other people giving orders to your dog. The fuss over birds in the bag . It must be the new generation, wanting to put every bird on the wall.,
Collapsing of the line , there’s always one who is belining for the truck, sooooo tired…

Guys that get lost, guys that are always hungry, guys that are hungover
And don’t get me started on YouTube videos those guys and their dogs are a bunch of hacks
Yeah, that guy with yhat y lab makes good videos. Sage.I always have labs, they are great bird dogs.

I
I drilled a hole in the bill of my hat and secured a mount to it. This works for me, others like the headstrap better. It just comes down to preference. Otherwise, the big thing is having batteries charged and ready. Since pheasants are the least predictable of about any bird to be hunted, I let the camera run pretty much the entire time. I stop and start every 10-15 minutes when there isn't much action, but if I flush a bird, I typically stop after the flush if it's a hen and if it's a rooster, wait until I have it in hand. This helps when editing as you can determine the clips where the action happens much more quickly.

Cold weather is a beast on batteries. I just got a Hero 10 and will try out the "Enduro" battery to see if that helps. Regardless, I figure I can get about 45 minutes to a battery and like to make sure I have available juice, so I switch out when it gets down to the 20% range.

For settings, I do 2K, 30fps and Linear. I would like to go 60fps, as that helps with the slow motion aspect of things, but it seemed to eat up the battery and the storage a lot faster. Other tips would be to keep the backup batteries in a pocket where they'll stay relatively warm.

Get a couple 128GB microSD cards. I don't think I've ever filled one up on a hunt. Changing batteries in the field isn't too bad, but those little microSD cards in combination with cold hands and no finger nails isn't something I care to try. I also have a few 2 terabyte external hardrives for uploading all of the content I record. I organize by hunt and they are critical (for me) as I can fill one up with a season's worth of footage.

Another helpful tip would be to upload footage right after the hunt and mark the clips that contain the action shots. It's a lot fresher in one's mind right after the hunt than a few days later.

Regardless, choosing to record my hunts is the absolute best thing I've done. I have great memories, but being able to relive Sage's moments in the field is something I know I will cherish forever. With your son starting to hunt, that is another great reason to have it. And my last bit of advice - record for you. Don't worry about YouTube or social media, etc. Just enjoy reliving your hunts.
M going to take a video with my phone, and shoot a bird.Now thats a challenge. Hope I can post it.

Last January late in the season, I happened by a group of 18 lined up hunting a CRP field, so I stopped on the road to watch a couple minutes. Before long, one rooster with a death wish flushed near one end of the line & did his best John Dunbar impersonation, flying the entire length of the line. I really don't know whether he was at 30 yds or 60 yds, but there were probably 30 shots fired at him. And he flew away. I was extremely happy for him & elated to have witnessed the worst shooting exhibition I'll likely ever see. I only wish I'd thought to get video. Next time.
That's pathetic!!!

Late last season in Montana, my cousin and I got permission to hunt a farm that had corn around a slough. We approached into the wind, and tracks were everywhere. My lab got in there, and 30 birds flushed at 20 yards. I dropped 2 roosters, and my cousin dropped 1 rooster, and 2 hens. He claimed the sun, but I know better.They were mostly roosters in there. I should have called that out I guess. Anyway, we were done for the day, and grateful for the opportunity on such a fine spot.

Yeah, that guy with yhat y lab makes good videos. Sage.I always have labs, they are great bird dogs.
Thank you. I grew up with labs and naturally that's what I got as soon as I could.

Hope you can get some footage of you hunts! You might be able to find a used GoPro at a decent price. 🤷‍♂️

Nobody I hunt with calls out anything, ever. Always remain silent. My dog doesn't need commands, or a ridiculous e collar.She knows what to do, because of thousands of hunting hours. If somebody accidentally shoots a hen, I don't care.Just don't make a habit of it.No drinking until after hunting is over.No smoking dope.No grab ass.
Good to see you back Goose. It was getting a little boring around here. Looking forward to reading your opinions again!!I

Whistles, phone calls, smoke breaks, Braggers, elitists, game hogs, emptying a simi auto every time a bird flushes. Thanks for reminding me why I don't hunt with too many guys!!
Cheap people, people who don't spend any money, those rediculas e collars, poachers,rednecks, ect.

Was practice swinging on a hen this weekend when the guy next to me shot at it, suppose he figured that I was aiming at it so it was a rooster. Same guys, bird flys in front of a bunch of guys with not a single shot, comes in front of me, rooster, easy one for me. Same guys, guy screaming rooster at the top of his lungs, bird flys in front of everyone and no one shoots, hen. Definitely got some good laughs!

Back