Hen! Hen! Rooster!

Do you guys have any tips for a guy getting ready to start recording this year? I bought a used GoPro 8 to start out with, been playing around with some. I don't know about the voice commands but I have been using the remote control with good results so far.

I don't want to post everything to YouTube, just want to be able to relive some hunts. My son's first season carrying a shotgun is this year so it's a pretty big one! 😁

I drilled a hole in the bill of my hat and secured a mount to it. This works for me, others like the headstrap better. It just comes down to preference. Otherwise, the big thing is having batteries charged and ready. Since pheasants are the least predictable of about any bird to be hunted, I let the camera run pretty much the entire time. I stop and start every 10-15 minutes when there isn't much action, but if I flush a bird, I typically stop after the flush if it's a hen and if it's a rooster, wait until I have it in hand. This helps when editing as you can determine the clips where the action happens much more quickly.

Cold weather is a beast on batteries. I just got a Hero 10 and will try out the "Enduro" battery to see if that helps. Regardless, I figure I can get about 45 minutes to a battery and like to make sure I have available juice, so I switch out when it gets down to the 20% range.

For settings, I do 2K, 30fps and Linear. I would like to go 60fps, as that helps with the slow motion aspect of things, but it seemed to eat up the battery and the storage a lot faster. Other tips would be to keep the backup batteries in a pocket where they'll stay relatively warm.

Get a couple 128GB microSD cards. I don't think I've ever filled one up on a hunt. Changing batteries in the field isn't too bad, but those little microSD cards in combination with cold hands and no finger nails isn't something I care to try. I also have a few 2 terabyte external hardrives for uploading all of the content I record. I organize by hunt and they are critical (for me) as I can fill one up with a season's worth of footage.

Another helpful tip would be to upload footage right after the hunt and mark the clips that contain the action shots. It's a lot fresher in one's mind right after the hunt than a few days later.

Regardless, choosing to record my hunts is the absolute best thing I've done. I have great memories, but being able to relive Sage's moments in the field is something I know I will cherish forever. With your son starting to hunt, that is another great reason to have it. And my last bit of advice - record for you. Don't worry about YouTube or social media, etc. Just enjoy reliving your hunts.

Last edited:
"My oldest son was like this for years as he is a thinker and would walk through fields doing anything except hunting." Carptom

I met and hunted with him, and while his dad's assessment may be true, he is a first-class thinker.

guys that brag incessantly about how good their dogs are
I'll go even further than that and add the guys that don't know their dog is ruining the hunt. Basically doing what you described as an obvious, glaring problem but pretending like it didn't happen. Then they get all butt hurt when you tell them their dog sucks lol

Last edited:
I drilled a hole in the bill of my hat and secured a mount to it. This works for me, others like the headstrap better. It just comes down to preference. Otherwise, the big thing is having batteries charged and ready. Since pheasants are the least predictable of about any bird to be hunted, I let the camera run pretty much the entire time. I stop and start every 10-15 minutes when there isn't much action, but if I flush a bird, I typically stop after the flush if it's a hen and if it's a rooster, wait until I have it in hand. This helps when editing as you can determine the clips where the action happens much more quickly.

Cold weather is a beast on batteries. I just got a Hero 10 and will try out the "Enduro" battery to see if that helps. Regardless, I figure I can get about 45 minutes to a battery and like to make sure I have available juice, so I switch out when it gets down to the 20% range.

For settings, I do 2K, 30fps and Linear. I would like to go 60fps, as that helps with the slow motion aspect of things, but it seemed to eat up the battery and the storage a lot faster. Other tips would be to keep the backup batteries in a pocket where they'll stay relatively warm.

Get a couple 128GB microSD cards. I don't think I've ever filled one up on a hunt. Changing batteries in the field isn't too bad, but those little microSD cards in combination with cold hands and no finger nails isn't something I care to try. I also have a few 2 terabyte external hardrives for uploading all of the content I record. I organize by hunt and they are critical (for me) as I can fill one up with a season's worth of footage.

Another helpful tip would be to upload footage right after the hunt and mark the clips that contain the action shots. It's a lot fresher in one's mind right after the hunt than a few days later.

Regardless, choosing to record my hunts is the absolute best thing I've done. I have great memories, but being able to relive Sage's moments in the field is something I know I will cherish forever. With your son starting to hunt, that is another great reason to have it. And my last bit of advice - record for you. Don't worry about YouTube or social media, etc. Just enjoy reliving your hunts.
I bought one of those mounts that goes in the hat. I should've just drilled a hole and went that route, the part thats there to "float" makes it uncomfortable. I got 3 batteries with it when I bought it, sure is crazy how fast they go!

Couple questions. Have you tried the time lapse feature for hunting? I heard some guys talking about it on a podcast, the way I understand it it is recording all the time then when some action happens and is over you tap the record button and it saves X amount of minutes before and after that point. Seemed like a good way to catch the highlights anyway.

What video editing software do you use? I can do a decent job with the GoPro software on mobile but sure would be nice to have it on the computer. Or at least a similar option.

My son hunting was one of my biggest reasons to go ahead and buy one. Plus I got some trips coming up that are once in a lifetime so will be cool to have them saved. I think the only reason I would put anything on YouTube is just to have a backup in case my hard drive were to crap out. I couldn't care less about likes and all that stuff. It would be an easy way to share with friends and family too. I wish I would've had this thing on our first kick and shoot hunt a couple years ago. He shot his first chukkar out of the air with a little single shot .410. I thought for sure he missed the way it flew, 100yds later it folded up and dropped, pretty sure it had 1 pellet in it. The older gentleman that was guiding still mentions it every time I see him, definitely a lifelong memory! 😁

The people I hunt with we are really quiet in the field. Usually if a hen flushes by me, I just say "hen" but don't yell it out. Although we agreed last year, that if a rooster flushes to be a little more vocal because I had one flush near me I couldn't make out and passed on a shot but my buddy clearly saw that it was a rooster right away. I guess the motto is, "stay silent if you can, verbalize if you must."

The first time I hunted pheasants we lost a couple opportunities because with the sun just wright we couldn't tell. So that night over many beers we decided to scream COCK when a rooster got up. we did it for years. We didn't even know it was a thing to call out. Not so much now, but once in a while a surprise flush will illicit that same response. I've even done it when by myself! I guess it's a shock response, like screaming like a girl when you step on a snake!!

I bought one of those mounts that goes in the hat. I should've just drilled a hole and went that route, the part thats there to "float" makes it uncomfortable. I got 3 batteries with it when I bought it, sure is crazy how fast they go!

Couple questions. Have you tried the time lapse feature for hunting? I heard some guys talking about it on a podcast, the way I understand it it is recording all the time then when some action happens and is over you tap the record button and it saves X amount of minutes before and after that point. Seemed like a good way to catch the highlights anyway.

What video editing software do you use? I can do a decent job with the GoPro software on mobile but sure would be nice to have it on the computer. Or at least a similar option.

I have not used the time lapse feature you mentioned. Sounds interesting.

I have Adobe Premiere Pro for editing. It's a subscription service, like $20 a month, but there isn't anything you can't do with it.

Recording is easy. Doesn't take any effort. Camera runs on voice commands, so you don't even have to touch it. Editing is the part that takes effort, but to have footage of my dog is beyond worth it to me.
Bruh, it's pretty obvious you're trying to hijack this thread about "Rooster! Rooster!" with camera talk because you're so skilled w/ yours. Why not steer it back on course, but maybe cover BOTH important topics. Do you have any very, VERY short video clips you could share that might highlight the proper way to holler/scream "Rooster!!!! Rooster!!!!" as well as your camera/editing skills?

There are some fellas that aren't afraid to express themselves in the field! But it was likely the last bird they saw that day after that out-burst. Yelling and gunshots like that would have every bird within a mile spooked and gone.

There are some fellas that aren't afraid to express themselves in the field! But it was likely the last bird they saw that day after that out-burst. Yelling and gunshots like that would have every bird within a mile spooked and gone.

probably pen-raised on bird ranch hunt. not for me.

Looked like it flew pretty well, which part was not to like, the "rooster" call-out? Looks like a couple friends bird hunting...I am all-in! I know most people claim to hunt silent here, but when hunting with another person or 2, I am guessing most of you do call out hens and roosters, but maybe not with the enthusiasm this fella does! Some guys are just best hunting solo. Even alone, I would call out the hens for the dog's benefit. I used to hunt alone, but I do prefer hunting with my best bud more than solo, fun to share the moments with someone....and I am not a people person. Some of you might hate hunting with me, calling out birds, but more than likely we would have our limits by noon, so you wouldn't be annoyed for too long! I think it would be difficult for me not to call them out. Iowa opener is 14 weeks from today!

I was being sarcastic when I said: "But it was likely the last bird they saw that day after that out-burst. Yelling and gunshots like that would have every bird within a mile spooked and gone." The birds I hunt (private) don't seem to be a spooky as most, is what I am thinking. Back to the public and private land = high pressured and low pressured birds, and how they react to you in the field debate.

I’ve never been put off by others except in two instances. 1) my nephew wouldn’t pay attention to where his gun was pointed (usually directly at me) and 2) My friend that wanted his Brittany to act like a lab and would pepper her with shot when she worked out of range. Actually, she was hunting according to her breeding and was not out of range, judging by her shot wounds.
I didn’t hunt with either after those displays.
Yelling “HEN!” is accepted practice and doesn’t bother me when I hear it.

Looked like it flew pretty well, which part was not to like, the "rooster" call-out? Looks like a couple friends bird hunting...I am all-in! I know most people claim to hunt silent here, but when hunting with another person or 2, I am guessing most of you do call out hens and roosters, but maybe not with the enthusiasm this fella does! Some guys are just best hunting solo. Even alone, I would call out the hens for the dog's benefit. I used to hunt alone, but I do prefer hunting with my best bud more than solo, fun to share the moments with someone....and I am not a people person. Some of you might hate hunting with me, calling out birds, but more than likely we would have our limits by noon, so you wouldn't be annoyed for too long! I think it would be difficult for me not to call them out. Iowa opener is 14 weeks from today!

I was being sarcastic when I said: "But it was likely the last bird they saw that day after that out-burst. Yelling and gunshots like that would have every bird within a mile spooked and gone." The birds I hunt (private) don't seem to be a spooky as most, is what I am thinking. Back to the public and private land = high pressured and low pressured birds, and how they react to you in the field debate.
I’m not sure BC watched the video, maybe just a comment from others he’s seen.
We don’t do much rooster calling out. But hens we will usually call if someone starts to mount on one which is usually the birds at your feet that get up and scare the crap out of you.
Chickens were the ones that usually got me. Doesn’t happen much anymore in the areas I usually hunt and there is no open season in that area anyway any longer. When one would get it up it would take me about 40 yds and I’d realize oh shoot that was a chicken

Yes, that was A5 and me. The rooster took off right at my feet and I figured I'd let A5 have the gimme shot as he was my guest, but wanted to have a little fun so I screamed "rooster" as loud as I could. I don't know if I've ever hollered like that before and certainly not when I'm alone. There were a ton of birds in this private land spot and we were at the end of that particular slough. I did catch your sarcasm.

I know most people claim to hunt silent here, but when hunting with another person or 2, I am guessing most of you do call out hens and roosters
I actually used to do it when I was younger. Then I realized that I was spooking birds further out when I yelled. Plus yelling hurts my throat too. So I simply stopped doing it. At one point I would definitely call it a habit, especially when a hen would flush and someone was with me, but all habits can be broken. And I believe that this particular one has helped keep birds flushing at closer ranges, which in turn, puts more roosters in the bag. Its a variable that I can control, so I am going to control it.

Yes, that was A5 and me. The rooster took off right at my feet and I figured I'd let A5 have the gimme shot as he was my guest, but wanted to have a little fun so I screamed "rooster" as loud as I could. I don't know if I've ever hollered like that before and certainly not when I'm alone. There were a ton of birds in this private land spot and we were at the end of that particular slough. I did catch your sarcasm.
Gimme?!? That was a nearly impossible shot. Range. Wind. Numb fingers. Extreme noise. Difficult to identify as a rooster. The perfect storm. I did as well as anyone could do just to whistle a couple bb's through his tail feathers. 🤣🤣

That was an odd day. January 2021. Sage was home on IR, so it was obvious GH's heart really wasn't in it. Consequently, neither was mine (at least in terms of actually killing birds). We spent much time one-upping each other with brilliance/humor. And our shooting really suffered for it. Uncharacteristically terrible. But otherwise a fun day.

You tube of guys yelling and birds are blowing out of the field on the other end…. Classic!
Along with all the yelling, nonstop whistling and yelling to dogs. Uncontrollable dogs is another one…

Ok, here are my thoughts. All this hollering while hunting is crap!!!

If I'm with some new pheasant hunters I may say "hen" when one is flushed to keep them legal, but I never say ROOSTER!!!

Of course, being an old fart, I grew up in a day when male pheasants were called "cocks" not "ROOSTER," so I don't prefer the later term and no way would I holler "ROOSTER!!!"

And there have been many occasions over the years that someone, experienced or not, hollered "HEN" or ROOSTER" and were wrong! Ultimately you have to make the decision yourself, regardless of what others holler!

My hunting friends communicate whether it be pheasant identification or location when we can't see each other in the Grouse thickets.
Somehow we still consistently get birds.

Back