Hemp/CBD Oil for Dogs

Not sure if it relates, but I tried hemp oil for a month and wasn't able to detect any decrease in joint pain. I'll be sixty in a month, have always enjoyed powerlifting and hope to continue for as long as I'm able. (At this stage, the competition is dying off, so if I can stick with it for a few more years I may eventually have a shot at the podium...) Was hoping the oil might roll me back a few years back in terms of aches and pains, but unfortunately that didn't turn out to be the case for me. I've got an EP with some joint issues and would love to get another season or two with him, but after my personal experience I don't have much confidence in hemp oil being the answer.

I used it when my dog had very hard pains after a surgery. It helped her a lot to get well. Pets shouldn't even smell it! I had been smoking cigarettes and cannabis before I discovered vaping for me, especially with cbd oil, because of this i became much happier becausei didn't need anymore to go out. I was slowly replacing smoking with vaping. The best alternative for cannabis is cbd juulpods what i am buying from online at knockoutcbd. It has similar effect as usual cannabis and the taste is amazing!
Well that’s a pretty solid argument against CBD. I don’t want my dog as dumb as this guy.

I've got my dog on cytopoint as well. Previously on apoquel. He seems to be a lot more comfortable with the cytopoint. It's been a battle the last two years with his allergies He's 10 and they just seemed to come out of nowhere. To get back to dakotazeb's original question, I tried the CBD oil for 6 weeks, and saw no difference in his itching/scratching. CBD didn't seem to help my dog at all. I can't speak to the flexibility as he has no stiffness issues, and I was so focused on his allergies I wasn't even looking for stiffness changes.

So far the cytopoint has been a god send. It's costing me about $65 every 6 weeks, hope I can move to every 8-10.

I didn't know that there is CBD oil for dogs. I can suppose that vets mostly use it. I know that CBD oil relieves pain. I had some problems with my teeth and had to wait a whole night before going to the dentist. Finally, I couldn't fall asleep, and I vaped some CBD oil. I constantly started to feel less pain. I can consider that it is given to dogs when they are at the vet and doing some painful procedures. I like that people start to use this substance to relax, and for some important purpose like this, that helps dogs feel less pain.

Last edited:
We are using Pet Releaf CBD oil for our springer since March of this year. Obie is 10, fell badly on the ice X 2 this winter and splayed out his lower back. The first two days, he was sleepy (I am unsure if he was dealing with increased pain or effects of the oil); now he is energetic and moving well. He still creaks in the morning with first movements, but I believe he has decreased pain with the CBD (able to chase ball, run, and move well). He has been into the vet this month for a physical with all labwork coming back within normal limits; so it's not causing harmful changes in his liver or kidneys. Pet Releaf is manufactured in Colorado from organic sources. So far, the CBD has not harmed the dog and hopefully improved his arthritic discomfort.

Hey friends! I'm new to this forum and just recently heard about Hemp/CBD Oil for Dogs. I have a Brittany with allergies, and I'm desperate to try anything that might help soothe her. After doing some digging, it sounds like the best hemp CBD oils could be the way to go - has anyone out there used them? They've helped me make my sleep better, but I'm not sure if they can help my dog. I'm hoping to get some advice on the best options to try. Appreciate it! :)

Last edited:
Last year our 11 year old lab had what appeared to be a "stroke" and was near death. We had a local at-home vet come over and she prescribed a bunch of different "hard" drugs and most importantly, showed us how to rehydrate her with subcutaneous fluids. The dog improved but never returned to normal. In desperation, to make her last days more comfortable we started her on CBD oil (not hemp oil. hemp oil basically contains no CBD). We used Full Spectrum CBD Tincture. 50mg CBD per ML of oil. We ended up at 2ml twice a day. Under the tongue worked best, because she was having a difficult time eating. All I can say is that it seemed to make her more comfortable. It didn't miraculously make her better, but had we to do it again, we would.

Also, this winter I was hunting quail in New Mexico for almost 2 1/2 months. Inevitably our 7 year old lab got into a few cactus. We were able to locate and remove most spines, but a few seemed to get into her feet and ankle joints. Took her to a local vet and his diagnosis was "yup", she has cactus spines. He recommended trying to surgically remove them only if they started to fester. They never did, but we started giving her 1ml of 50mg/ml CBD for about a week and she definitely started moving better and not showing any signs of tenderness or lameness. As others have noted the CBD industry has gone crazy. It is basically unregulated. About the only thing that is regulated is that the hemp it is made from must have less than 0.3% THC. We buy our CBD from https://www.lazarusnaturals.com/ They provide test information for all lots they sell. I'm not 100% confident in them, but they seem better than most CBD suppliers. You really don't have to buy pet-specific products unless it makes you feel better. The dosage for the oil tinctures is in mg/ml so it is easy to figure out.

Last, there are studies being conducted on the efficacy of CBD for various issues with canines. I believe Colorado State University is doing some on its effectiveness for seizures. Their are hunting veterinarians that have published information online regarding their personal use of CBD for their own dogs. At this point, though, it comes down to what you want to try. As far as I can tell, it is pretty benign and from our personal experience, seems to have some positive effects for pain management and anxiety.

Last year our 11 year old lab had what appeared to be a "stroke" and was near death. We had a local at-home vet come over and she prescribed a bunch of different "hard" drugs and most importantly, showed us how to rehydrate her with subcutaneous fluids. The dog improved but never returned to normal. In desperation, to make her last days more comfortable we started her on CBD oil (not hemp oil. hemp oil basically contains no CBD). We used Full Spectrum CBD Tincture. 50mg CBD per ML of oil. We ended up at 2ml twice a day. Under the tongue worked best, because she was having a difficult time eating. All I can say is that it seemed to make her more comfortable. It didn't miraculously make her better, but had we to do it again, we would.

Also, this winter I was hunting quail in New Mexico for almost 2 1/2 months. Inevitably our 7 year old lab got into a few cactus. We were able to locate and remove most spines, but a few seemed to get into her feet and ankle joints. Took her to a local vet and his diagnosis was "yup", she has cactus spines. He recommended trying to surgically remove them only if they started to fester. They never did, but we started giving her 1ml of 50mg/ml CBD for about a week and she definitely started moving better and not showing any signs of tenderness or lameness. As others have noted the CBD industry has gone crazy. It is basically unregulated. About the only thing that is regulated is that the hemp it is made from must have less than 0.3% THC. We buy our CBD from https://www.lazarusnaturals.com/ They provide test information for all lots they sell. I'm not 100% confident in them, but they seem better than most CBD suppliers. You really don't have to buy pet-specific products unless it makes you feel better. The dosage for the oil tinctures is in mg/ml so it is easy to figure out.

Last, there are studies being conducted on the efficacy of CBD for various issues with canines. I believe Colorado State University is doing some on its effectiveness for seizures. Their are hunting veterinarians that have published information online regarding their personal use of CBD for their own dogs. At this point, though, it comes down to what you want to try. As far as I can tell, it is pretty benign and from our personal experience, seems to have some positive effects for pain management and anxiety.
I give real cbd to my dogs after a long day of hunting all the time, especially on days where we plan to hunt back to back. I can tell a significant difference in the qualityof sleep at end of day when muscles and feet are sore. These are small doses not meant to induce sleep just relax.

try snake oil. i hear it's real good stuff.

We are using Pet Releaf CBD oil for our springer since March of this year. Obie is 10, fell badly on the ice X 2 this winter and splayed out his lower back. The first two days, he was sleepy (I am unsure if he was dealing with increased pain or effects of the oil); now he is energetic and moving well. He still creaks in the morning with first movements, but I believe he has decreased pain with the CBD (able to chase ball, run, and move well). He has been into the vet this month for a physical with all labwork coming back within normal limits; so it's not causing harmful changes in his liver or kidneys. Pet Releaf is manufactured in Colorado from organic sources. So far, the CBD has not harmed the dog and hopefully improved his arthritic discomfort.
It's not uncommon for dogs to need a little time to adjust to CBD, and the initial sleepiness might have been his body getting used to it. The fact that he's now more energetic and moving well is a positive sign.
Crase in the morning is common for older pups, and CBD can indeed help with arthritic discomfort. It's awesome that his labwork came back normal, too, showing no harm to his liver or kidneys. Organic sources from Colorado definitely sound promising.
If you're curious about more in-depth info on CBD and cannabis, you can check out the link at releaf.co.uk. They've got some solid educational content that can help you understand the ins and outs without getting too ad-like.

Last edited:
Been using cbd chews for my dogs and people cbd drops for several years now. Usedto give em rymadyl for pain or to ease the strain on my older dogs. Vet suggested minimizing the rymadyl as it can screw up the liver/kidneys in heavy use. The cbd has done the trick. Great for pain management supplement. Also, helps to relax the dogs on long trips in the vehicle. In several years of use haven’t seen any adverse effects.

I've actually tried giving my dog CBD oil for similar issues, and it made a noticeable difference with his allergies. I found some great options on https://www.trythecbd.com/products/hhc-gummies/ website, like their HHC gummies for humans. It's worth a shot - just make sure to start with a small dose and monitor how your pup responds.

Last edited:
A gentleman on you tube I watch sometimes called a bird hunter's thoughts uses it he was running a 13-year-old britt that hunted unbelievably hard...

CBD oil is not THC and is not hallucinogenic. I have tried it in a calming formula for my 14 year old retired Brittany that has a pretty high level of anxiety when I leave her alone or we all leave her ... even though there are other dogs in the house. She is also on homeopathic joint care chews for some arthritic back hips.

She retired after her 12th year of hunting because of a "fallen trachea" and would be gasping for air after 10-15 minutes of hunting ... she just could not figure out how to slow down and pace her distance or speed ...

Back