HELP With Imaginary "Fly Biting/Chasing"???

henhenROOSTER!!!

Anybody have any experience or knowledge on this??? My lab has just lately started exhibiting this bizarre behavior occasionally a couple times at 6 yrs old (I had never before now seen this in any dog). He is currently having a long, crazy episode that started up almost all of last night & is still going strong this morning - 2nd time he's done this. Some friends took him to their "vet" a month or so ago when he did this for the first time while I was out of town & the quack gave him antibiotics for an "anal gland" infection & wormed him - DUH... :((

After very careful personal observation in the wee hours of dawn this morning because he had pretty much kept the wife & I from sleeping most of the night, I suspecting that some sort of "hallucinations" were going on. I did some quick internet research on a hunch & easily found multiple videos of dogs mimicking the exact same pattern of behavior, but information on the condition is kind of sketchy/contradictory from there. Some say it is a form of seizure (and indeed hallucinatory), others say it is an OCD behavior derived from boredom or trauma, & in some cases it can be due to something toxic ingested such as locoweed (which we have in profusion here in my area of CO & my dog is a notorious indiscriminate grass/weed eater when he has an upset stomach, which is quite often).

There doesn't seem to be very many concrete/reliable answers or cures at all & I'm in no rush to get him started on the heavy anti-psychotic/seizure meds suggested. I read one guy's post that said his dog usually snaps right out of it when he throws a ball, so I got out the bumpers to test things tentatively at the crack of dawn (didn't want to worsen any seizure activity if that was going on, but the dog didn't seem unresponsive or totally out of it - just plain goofy). After easing him into things carefully, he had enough wits about him to perform multiple marked & blind retrieves for me but was still somewhat distracted & jumpy during the session. The excercise slowed the behavior down for a bit, but he's right back to non-stop imaginary "fly biting/chasing" & licking again. Weirdest thing I've ever seen in a dog, just came out of the blue/nowhere...STUMPED??? :confused: If any of you can, somebody please HELP enlighten me a bit more. I'm probably headed out to my vet shortly anyway, but I don't really want any more hurried or crackpot misdiagnosis leading me further in the wrong direction like the last clueless nut. So far, as is often the case with human doctors - I have pretty much already had to track down & figure out the basic problem for myself. Now I don't know what to do about it... :(

bump- let's try to keep this at the top to help HHR out. Lord knows the last thing he needs is more medical related complications.

HHR: please don't think this is crazy. Did you spray your yard at all with anything where he would have gotten it on him or ingested any of it, especially Round-Up? My black lab had that happen and you're describing everything he did. He had to go in for an IV treatment to flush his system and a steriod to stop the itching and biting. It worked great. The next morning it was the same old Rocky back. It was scary at first especially with the biting. Vet just said it was an allergic reaction. Happens alot this time of year especially with all the farmers (us included) spraying.

dursban, and diazanon flea and tick treatment or in sprays commonly overused by golf courses and homeowners alike. I would rate that equal to the vet who suggested worms, and anal glands which occurred to me as well, whips worms are very difficult to eradicate, and anal glands can block again in 30 days. By the way if you clear a blocked anal gland, you will remember it!!!!

Could the dog possibly have a piece of foreign debris floating around between the cornea and lens? I do in one eye and sometimes think an insect is flying near me. But if your dog is doing this in the dark, then something else is going on.

Could the dog possibly have a piece of foreign debris floating around between the cornea and lens? I do in one eye and sometimes think an insect is flying near me. But if your dog is doing this in the dark, then something else is going on.

I was thinking eye floaters too. Try a CERF doc. But I like what RF said too, sounds feasable. Good luck buddy and let us know.

It's lookin like there's at least a 'Chance' (LOL) that I might have a bit of a druggie dog with a little penchant for indiscriminate munching of wacky weeds and/or mushrooms when his stomach is sour/tore-up :eek: :D (& yeah, my wife did spray heavy round-up on some thistle that I didn't know about while I was gone to work the day be4 in part of the exact area where he was munching down)... :( My wife & I both noticed him eating everything in sight like a lawn mower or vacuum cleaner in the backyard the day be4 this happened. Things have calmed down considerably. Still taking him to a neurologist on Weds for thorough exam & x-rays just to be on the safe side...

Let's hope toxic/noxious ingestion is the case, because the other alternatives are far less purty! :(

i had a buddy in highschool who had a druggie dog it was a boxer he didn't like alot of peaple to be around him real nervouse well one day we noticed he was everyones friend and so we watched him sure enough he was going out and eating the wild hemp from the neighbors side of the road :D

It's lookin like there's at least a 'Chance' (LOL) that I might have a bit of a druggie dog with a little penchant for indiscriminate munching of wacky weeds and/or mushrooms when his stomach is sour/tore-up :eek: :D (& yeah, my wife did spray heavy round-up on some thistle that I didn't know about while I was gone to work the day be4 in part of the exact area where he was munching down)... :( My wife & I both noticed him eating everything in sight like a lawn mower or vacuum cleaner in the backyard the day be4 this happened. Things have calmed down considerably. Still taking him to a neurologist on Weds for thorough exam & x-rays just to be on the safe side...

Let's hope toxic/noxious ingestion is the case, because the other alternatives are far less purty! :(

Jimson weed, a common plant, can make a person go crazy for about two days. Might do that to a dog too.

Back