Help Please Im Goin Nuts!

Jtoby_3

Hello everyone,

Like a lot of other people I was researching dogs on the internet, again, and stumbled on this site and loved what i was hearing so i would love to pose my question to those who know much more then i do. So thank you so much for your time for reading this and hopefully ill find exactly what i need!
I am a college student who recently fell in love with bird hunting and i find myself unable to get enough. As soon as classes are over i find myself knee deep in North Dakota cat tails trying to kick out a bird. Not to long ago i had the absolute pleasure in working with a dog and watching him work the field and track birds and instantly fell in love.
Since then i have been reading everything both print and internet about hunting dogs and found myself longing for one of my own who i can develop that very special relationship of a hunter and his dog. But now i am offically at a stalemate and cant seem to decided on a breed and its driving me crazy!!!
My situation is a little different all though most of the year i am in North Dakota i spend the summers in Utah. In North Dakota i have a small house with a small unfenced yard and my buddy has a big ranch we would spend some weekends at but in utah i have a full acre lot. im looking for a companion I can take up to the mountains when i fish and camp and take just about anywhere when im hiking up the trail, as well as a dog that can hunt the prairies of north dakota. im leaning towards the smaller of the breeds but can decide if i want a flusher or a pointer!! Evertime i decide on what breed I read something else and my point a view starts to change!
so please any help would be greatly appriciated i have been leaning towards the Brit or Springer because of there size and seem to be a little better inside. If i dont decide soon im afraid my girl and my friends will end up leaving me cause this is all i can seem to do anymore so what do you all think?!

Last edited:
Your problem is understandable and I would steer you towards my personal preference of a German Shorthair as they are great companions and work a field like nobodies business. However you mentioned you are still in school so I would recommend you not add a dog to the mix until you have your studies completed. Any dog will take time away from the priority at this point of your life. Suffer for now and once you get out of school you can get a dog you can spend quality time with at home and in the field. If your parents are footing the bill I am sure they would agree. If you are toting the note on the tuition then it is your choice. School first.

Your problem is understandable and I would steer you towards my personal preference of a German Shorthair as they are great companions and work a field like nobodies business. However you mentioned you are still in school so I would recommend you not add a dog to the mix until you have your studies completed. Any dog will take time away from the priority at this point of your life. Suffer for now and once you get out of school you can get a dog you can spend quality time with at home and in the field. If your parents are footing the bill I am sure they would agree. If you are toting the note on the tuition then it is your choice. School first.

Totally agree...Adding a new dog to the family is like have a new baby. There will be plenty of dogs for you when you get out of school. But when it is time It is just gonna be up to you rather it be a pointer or a flusher...... But if you do go with a pointer I would have to say a shorthair with a brittany coming in 2nd.. There is just somthing about watching a pointer work the field and slam them points..good luck:cheers:

Thanks for taking time to help me with my question! I should have been more clear I am a senior and in my final semester taking only 3 classes on a pretty good scholarship so i wont lie i have plenty of time and energy thats why i have waited till now to get serious with actually buying a dog thanks again for your time! any more suggestions?

Jtoby

Vizsla! I can say no more.... Take a-look at these dogs. Great companion (friend) and great pointer to hunt behind. I am 53 and hunted behind Flushers too. Once you hunt behind a pointer there isn't much else. I have 3 viz and 2 I hunt. I also hunt ND and have a hunting house there. Everybody has an opinion but give these dogs a chance.

Lazlo

When you do get a new pup make sure you get him or her out of good hunting stock, just to up your chance of getting a good dog. Ask alot of questions and make sure you get what YOU want..This will be your buddy for the next 10 years or so...Good Luck

I'm glad to hear about your passion for the sport. I was in a similar boat a couple of years ago. I had decided I really loved pheasant hunting and was trying to figure out what breed to go with. I had only pheasant hunted behind a one year old brittany one time before so my preference toward one dog or another was mostly impartial. I was seriously considering a lab because I had grown up with one and do duck hunt as well.

I ended going with a brittany and have been completely satisfied. I too researched my a#% off, and the brittany just seemed to make the most sense. Gauge is now 2.5 years old and is doing great.

Some of the benefits I have found with him: he is smaller than most breeds which makes traveling easier. Trust me, a 40-50 pound dog is much easier than a 85 pound brute. He points with the best of them and has a great nose. He is great with people...including my 2 year old daughter. Suprisingly, he doesn't shed much...compared to a lab or a golden retriever. I thought he was relatively easy to train, but it was my first time training a dog, so I have no previous basis to judge him on. He tends not to range to far ahead of me, especially now that he is getting much needed experience. He loves to retrieve birds, even ducks.

There are a couple of disadvantages. His hair does collect burrs in the field, but this can be minimized if you keep him trimmed. I think they look better trimmed anyhow. He also loved digging holes in my yard, but seems to be outgrowing that stage. I think it was mostly a puppy thing.

Overall he is just a great dog and loves hunting. He loves being around me and my family and goes anywhere we'll take him. We are in the mountains all the time and he loves it. I'm sure there are other breeds out there that I would have been just as happy with, but I chose the brittany and it's worked out great.

Have you checked out french brittanys? My cousin picked a started one up last spring and loves him. We're taking him out on wild birds for the first time this weekend, so we'll see how he does. According to many websites, french brtittanys seem to hunt a little closer than there american cousins and aren't quite as "active." Just one more thing to think about.

I would agree with a previous poster that you need to find a breeder with good hunting stock. A dog with great instincts will make training easier and hunting much more enjoyable.

If you want to talk or have any questions, send me a PM. I don't mind chatting on the phone to answer any questions.

I am going to ring in here sinse this is a great topic and I will be the first one not to reccomend the breed I currently own. You need to consider the birds you will hunt the most often. I am going to guess pheasants. Flushing dogs handle these birds better (normally) than pointing breeds. They don't hold well and many pointing breeds don't like busting through heavy cover where these birds like to hide. I am sure someone will attempt to shoot me down on this and thats ok I am speeking in general here.

Handling a pointing dog most of the time can be more challenging due to their desire to reach out. Having said all this you should know I have owned a lab, two shorthairs, and I am on my second English Pointer. I prefer hunting over a pointing dog but can tell you given the time, money and space I would own several dogs and would keep some of all disiplines. The best advice I could give (which to some degree is given above) would be to investigate the breeders of the dogs you like. Don't be afraid to hire a pro trainer if you can afford it. Some even offer clinics which can help you handle your dog. Don't be easily satisfied with the first thing you see. The breeder / owner should be willing to work the parents for you. Also understand that dogs with real hunting backgrounds in their genes are bred for high energy and if left in your backyard will find something to do as in tear up, dig up anything they can find. The unfortunate side is these dogs don't last forever and your first will not be your last so enjoy every second. Good luck and have fun.

You will get a lot of personal opinions on this subject. Do your homework and based on the type of hunting you will be doing choose a breed that you think will work the best for you. It would probably be best if you could actually hunt behind a few different breeds to see which you prefer. Hunting season is nearly over for this year so take your time and don't rush into anything. Remember, getting a dog is a 12-15 year obligation. When you decide on a breed you again need to do your homework on selecting a breeder, etc. There are good and bad dogs in every breed. Check out the breeder, the sire & dam, the grandparents and their pedigrees. I prefer to get a dog from a reputable breeder than a couple of hunters that thought they should brred their dogs. A good breeder will generally produce better dogs and dogs that will be more predictable.

Another decision you will have to make is what sex dog to get. Again, there are a lot of personal preferences out their. I've had both and personally prefer a female. They are easier to train and work with and hunt just as hard as any male. And if you are going to have a house dog, a spayed female will be a better choice.

And I will disagree with EKBHNTR about pointing dogs not handling pheasants as well as flushers. Just come on down to Aberdeen and watch my 5 year old female Brittany work on a few old roosters. Of course, living in South Dakota gives my dog the opportunity to get on a lot of birds. I'm sure my dogs are exposed to more birds in one season than many dogs are in a lifetime. In two days of hunting this past Thursday and Friday I'm sure my Brittany pointed over 50 birds. Mostly hens buried under the snow. But a point is a point and just as much fun whether it's a hen or rooster. I've had springers, labs and for the past 13 years Brittanys. I could never go back to a flusher. There is just something about watching a dog lock up on point.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Give it time.

I also got a dog while in college and it was a huge hassle. I would advise waiting until you've graduated [which doesn't sound like long now] and are settled in a job. What happens if the job takes you to the city. Renting is tough with a pet, etc., wherever you go.

But like all of these guys are saying, do your research, take your time and choose what traits you like, not what someone tells you is the best. One man's opinion is just that, his opinion. And when talking dogs, every guy has his own.

With regards to breeding and history, make sure the specific bloodline fits what you are desiring for traits. For example, I had a boss who didn't talk to me for months because I got a setter instead of one of his beloved Vislas. His two Vislas were field trial stock and ran like a raped ape, out a quarter mile. He also had a friend with a Visla that he didn't think was worth a darn, because the dog was calm [translate for him "no desire"] and worked close [translate for him "boot licker"]. I like the other dog because it was well mannered and I enjoyed hunting with it.

Same for my setters. My current dog, Major, is 5 years old, doing well. He goes 75 lbs. and is a house dog. My wife objects to the shedding and that is work. Other strains of setter are much smaller, but can run like raped ape field trial dogs, too. Very different dogs, same breed. So be careful to research the kennel you are getting a pup from. Hunt with the owner and his dogs if you can. Most breeders are proud of their dogs and willing to show them off. You might also find some training help from those guys.

Good luck and have fun with your quest. Whether it is a pointing, or flushing dog, there's nothing better than coming home with a limit of birds shot over a good dog.

Breeds

You are living in a part of the country prone to extremes in weather. Plan for the extremes. You shouldn't get a short haired dog if you live on a glacier. Brit, Setter, Spaniels may lend well to your area. How you hunt is the next modifier. Do you hunt strip cover, CRP, crop, wetlands? The above mentioned breeds/groups lend themselves to house life. Smaller lines can be found in each breed. More research.

FC Springer is right. The fact that a dog is a field trial bred dog has little to do with whether they are out of control or not. That's generally a training issue. Many "wired" dogs are bred that way, not necessarily because they are from trial lines. Take Bozeann Mosley for instance. He was one of the biggest running, most imposing dogs in a trial, but a lap dog when he wasn't at work. They know when to turn it on and when to kick back. I have had trial bred dogs for 23 years and rarely find a bad one. I whelp pups in the kitchen and the females are in the house for 5-6 weeks while whelping without being "nuts". Your mission is to define your hunting, define what you want a dog to do, define what you want your dog to do away from hunting, and find breeds/strains/breeders that fit that ideal. Find some breeders and dog owners with the breeds you are looking at and go for a visit. Find one you like and find out where he/she got it. Go there and check the breeders background and currrent production group. Compare around and make a decision from what you can measure with your eye.

Very good points here. I do not have too much to add but note there was little mention of many of the lesser known versitle breeds other than the Vizla. The Wirehair is very popular in SD as a pheasant dog. Griffons GENERALLY noted as a closer hunting pointing breed are showing up more. Small Munsterlanders are not uncommon, and there is of course, my favorite the Pudelpointer.
There are few "field trials" attended by these dogs, but there is NAVHDA and the AKC hunt tests which good breeders rely on extensively. I am not knocking anyone's breeding selection criteria, but if I was looking for a first pup, pointing breed, I would go to a NAVHDA event or ten, see a number of different breeds and check out the successful breeders and make an informed selection.
________
Honda Xr400

Last edited:
which is the right dog for you

AKC is really good about explaining the breed standard and purpose of the dog. Like other posts have said do your homework. Everybody has an opinion as what breed they like and why. Being the I show and hunt with my dogs I get exposed to a lot of opnions. I always recommend that people go to a dog show to meet breeders and talk to them about the breed. Or in your case go to a professional kennel and ask that guy or gal the questions about what breed is better in what aspect.

Your dog is your pet first and as stated typically living 12 to 15 years. Is your dog going to live indoors with you or out door kennel? So many things to consider. It really comes down to the dog picks you! Good luck in your quest.

GO Vizsla's!

Check out the Braque Francais (French Pointer). I have 2 shorthairs that just turned 10. I love them dearly as they have both been true hunting companions and fishing buddies. They live in the house with 3 acres fenced and a dog door. When they were pups I used a bird wing on a fishing pole (only a few times). Ever since then when we go fishing and I cast a lure they both want to go after it. So, I had to start trolling (in a boat of course). They will stare at the rod tip until a strike occurs then bark like crazy letting everyone know a fish is on. They are calm dogs for the most part as long as they get a daily run off leash. They started scent pointing at about 6 months . They sight pointed from the time I got them at 8 weeks. Both GREAT hunters in all kinds of brush, from cattails to linear edges, open fields, or tall grass. With that said, when they go (They'll might half to be bury with them) I will be looking at the Frech Pointer. They look identical to the GSP but only smaller (30-45 lbs), hunt just as hard and well and a require a very light hand. I do highly recommend the GSP as well. But the BF is smaller and easier to handle. Good luck

What Breed of Bird Dog?

I hunted over several breeds before selecting what breed I wanted. Since picking my breed I have hunted over yet other breeds. I picked Brittany because I never saw a Brittany point other than absolutely rock solid -- no self flushes. Every Brittany I saw retrieved aggressively and consistently to hand. This is not so of other breeds I have observed. Vizsla: thin hair left dog with bloody sores on snout and chafed chest; would not capture wounded, mobile bird (affraid) or retrieve any bird; German shorthairs: would not retrieve at all; would not capture wounded, mobile bird (affraid). Weimaraners: thin hair leaving them with abrasions; often excessively large. Gordon Setters: reluctant retrievers. Every Brittany I have observed aggressively captures wounded, mobile birds. They bust cover like tanks. They have longer hair that protects them from abrasions from heavy cover. They are wonderful companions. They seem to be simply smarter than the other bird dog breeds, very easy to train. My observations are anecdotal, not scientific, so I am sure that of the breeds I mentioned, some examples are outstanding.

Last edited:
BritChaser,

I love my Brittany's too but I think you are going to catch a lot of grief from owners of the breeds you kind of put down. I don't really think what you saw in those other breeds is typical of the breed.

Just a friendly warning! :)

Dakotazeb

Well said Dakotazeb, we all have to learn this is a nationaly viewed web. and some things are better left in the ego bag. I am guilty myself and am going to try to keep it more real in the future. I have sent apologies for a couple posts that came accross wrong and have erased any I thought might be to harsh this is suposed to be informative and fun and will be makeing an honest effort to do so in the future. To the couple guy's That I did send the PM to I Truely ment it. Good luck to all of you and I wish I could hunt with every dog out there that you guy's own. Maybe I will have to make this a Quest.

Last edited:
Lots of great advice here! I'll just cast a quick vote for the Brittany. I have hunted over a few breeds and finally chose a male Brit. He is my constant companion and was VERY easy to train. Loyal and highly intellegent, he is a very disciplined pointer, retrieves upland birds with gusto (still working on ducks) and will hunt under any conditions.

As mentioned above, the NAVHDA is a great place to do some research and learn more about some of the versatile breeds discussed here.

One final point for consideration... Brits are known to be very family friendly and my Brit, Toby, is no exception.

Take your time and enjoy the process. Choosing and training your first hunting dog is an experience you'll remember forever!

Cheers!

Back