Hello North Dakota

henhenROOSTER!!!

Glad to see the ND state thread back up & running on UPH. I don't even live or hunt in the state, but I'll get a brand new thread rolling to start showing a little more action. It's up to some of you ND boys or those who hunt this great state a lot to pick it up from here! Gimme the scouting report will ya... ;)

First & best pheasant hunt of my life was in the southwest corner of this state. Saw some interesting & beautiful country, met a lot of really nice people, & have never be4 or since seen so many hundreds of roosters lining the roadsides everywhere we went. I still keep up with several people there & know some really sweet private spots to head straight for, if I can ever come up with the time & money to pull off a long road trip! It's a long way from home & been way too busy the last few yrs to ever get back - but I dream, oh how I dream... :thumbsup: :cheers:

just got another 14" of snow where i'm from. there are tons of birds along the road. i hope spring comes soon or it might get pretty bad again. although i havent seen that many dead birds from winter kill. and people need to get here and control the coyote problem man those things are everywhere

Hey gsp4life, noticed that you are a ND local boy. I have a couple friends & great places to hunt in the sw quadrant of the state if I can EVER find a way to get back up there - but if you take me to some of your honey-holes & come hang w/me a little I'll have a lot more good things to post about your awesome state! Please don't read anything into this & get mad at me (I'm not after your spots)...I'd be lucky to get up there once every 5-10 yrs anyway & I'm too old to make it that many more times in this life under those conditions! :D

Last edited:
i would love to take people out for a hunt. i usually go out by myself. the girlfriend is getting a little more involved. its just hard to find people that love the sport as much as me. anyone that wants to go out and hunt in ND just let me know.

i would love to take people out for a hunt. i usually go out by myself. the girlfriend is getting a little more involved. its just hard to find people that love the sport as much as me. anyone that wants to go out and hunt in ND just let me know.

glad you guys are off of death row. I have read through all of the old threads and find anything to do with bird hunting interesting.

I've had a lot of great bird hunting out in Western ND.:cheers:

i am going to make a trip up to the Ashley-Zeeland area in October, is that anywhere close to you, gspforlife?

i live in the central part of the state. ashley i think is more of the southern part. i think those areas get hit pretty hard. there are always plenty of birds were i'm from so i stick to my hometown. it hasent let me down yet even after all the bad winter storms we have had.

@gsp4life: I'll let you know if I can ever find the TIME (mostly) & $$$ to get up there again...You have a great state for more reasons than just the phez! :thumbsup:

I love visiting rural Americana, but it doesn't work out too well for me living-wise with the wifey & international ministry travel...

USAF Officer looking for a hunt

Gents...I'm stationed at Minot AFB, ND and have one more season left fall '11/winter '12. We'll be moving to God only knows where Summer '12 and I'm looking for a good final ND Pheasant experience with what will be by then my 2 year old Vizsla "Dakota". I'll be working to finish him this spring summer. Heard good things about the Western part of ND last season. Area around Minot AFB sucked last year. Didn't get a chance to hit Audobon like last year and hit only PLOTS in the immediate area and came up with only grouse. Would be interested in getting Dakota around some experienced dogs if at all possible.

Patrick S. Ballard, Lt Col, USAF
Minot AFB, ND

Gents...I'm stationed at Minot AFB, ND and have one more season left fall '11/winter '12. We'll be moving to God only knows where Summer '12 and I'm looking for a good final ND Pheasant experience with what will be by then my 2 year old Vizsla "Dakota". I'll be working to finish him this spring summer. Heard good things about the Western part of ND last season. Area around Minot AFB sucked last year. Didn't get a chance to hit Audobon like last year and hit only PLOTS in the immediate area and came up with only grouse. Would be interested in getting Dakota around some experienced dogs if at all possible.

Minot AFB, ND

Hey light col. Welcome to uph. Can't help you in ND. But someone on this sight will I'll bet. USMC retired. Thank you for your time IN.:)

Minot AFB, ND

well sir, thanks for your service and as for your pup, he won't need any help from other dogs, get him further south and into some birds next fall and he will quickly figure things out for himself, best part of starting a dog is watching "the light bulb" come on....good luck!

Pnsballard thanks for your service!
Great pick for a dog I have 3.
Ok great to have a home again.... ND must not fall.
See the squeeky door does get the grease.

lazlo

just got another 14" of snow where i'm from. there are tons of birds along the road. i hope spring comes soon or it might get pretty bad again. although i havent seen that many dead birds from winter kill. and people need to get here and control the coyote problem man those things are everywhere

Nice to hear that the birds are doing well. I worked on Antelope Valley Station in the 80s and enjoyed North Dakota so much that I bought a place in Reeder. Tons of birds and great people.

Back