Heading to Kansas

Just a reminder if the back roads are muddy don't go down them the graders won't run for maybe weeks and the farmers need to drive on them. Makes for some mad farmers.

If you can’t get yourself out it’s best to knock on doors and see if somebody can get you yanked out.

Just as a sanity check after reading the regulations this is all I should need to be legal right?
Non resident hunting license: $97.50
Greater Prairie Chicken Permit: $2.50

I did not see anything about a week long hunting license, anyone know if this is an option?

Kansas only offers a full year (365) day license. The license and prairie chicken permit are all you need to hunt upland birds.

I threw mine in the box for the opener. I have never used them in central kansas. Sand burs seemed spotty and only got into them in a few places. I did not use them this year. I'm sure that I would have needed them just a little further west. I'm sure it all depends on the location. If you have them then I'd take them for sure.

Sounds good! Better to have them and not need them I suppose. I was going to order some Lewis boots, but found out you can make your own using a bicycle tire, seems a lot more cost effective in case a dog kicks one off

IMO Lewis are the way to go. Used them a lot out in Western Oklahoma. Regarding Lewis boots, bring a roll of high quality duct tape. Go to gundog supply or search their videos on youtube on how to properly put them on. Otherwise, you may lose one or have to fix a sagging boot during a hunt. If done properly, they stay in place.

Do you guys recommend dog boots?
There have been a few places I'd need them but just avoid - a guy on some of the FB groups has a Youtube video floating around some of the upland groups (easy to find there) on how to make dog boots with duct tape - If I was planning on using them that's how I'd put them on - cost effective and your dog wont lose them - also with dog boots if you dont install right your dog can get a hellacious sore - a buddy of mine in HS would use them sometimes and his dog would get messed up sometimes not through his error - but you had to have the wraps etc on just right or they could rub. The duct tape idea looks SO much simpler.

facebook.com/100012744249726/videos/383481052086700
(Hunting with english setters group - Bob posted Dec 1 2017 - dont know where the youtube link is-- simplest version I've seen)

Other one is this

If I was going to do either one - it'd be one of the 2 above methods

Last edited:
Sounds like you are in them thick! I was concerned about bird numbers based off the bird report and some reports from others. It will be nice just to see some big country!

Back