Heading to Kansas

Hey everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster. I am planning on heading out to Kansas in early January for my first out of state trip with my two hounds. Does anyone have any tips/tricks/packing items that I should bring? I have heard that the roads can be quite challenging, is this true? How is cell phone service out there? This will be our first out of state trip for wild birds, really looking forward to it.

Dont know exactly where you're headed but terrain varies depending on part of the state - some have gumbo roads if they're wet, some the stickiest dirt you've ever encountered if even a little wet, some have nice rock roads, some sandy roads etc -- definitely have all terrain tires at least and if going in some nasty stuff you'd be surprised how well you can navigate things by going slower and AIRING DOWN your tires to 15psi or so

Verizon IMO works best all across the state - followed by ATT, then tmobile/sprint -- though I dont know if the latter 3 have gotten any better -- Verizon was always best in rural areas.

Weather - pack for -10 to 75 degrees - breathable layers - can be 20 in the morning - 65 by 3pm and Sunny - or can go from 65 to 15 degrees - just no predicting it with accuracy until you're a couple days out.

Hey everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster. I am planning on heading out to Kansas in early January for my first out of state trip with my two hounds. Does anyone have any tips/tricks/packing items that I should bring? I have heard that the roads can be quite challenging, is this true? How is cell phone service out there? This will be our first out of state trip for wild birds, really looking forward to it.
We made our first trip to KS last January. Roads can be a challenge, pay attention, they aren't necessarily what the map service says or even there for that matter. Best approach is to go for it. Birds are skittish as hell but they are huntable. Cell service overall was pretty good (north central). Wear out the dogs and the boot leather, don't expect limits but you should have opportunities. Overall we had a great trip and expect to do a little better this yr., we learned a few things last yr. There is no substitute for doing it and learning the hard way.

Planning to be in North-West Kansas if that helps at all.
Checking the weather last year, looks like it was min 40's for the most part, but will make sure to bring lots of layers.
As for birds I am super excited, if we shoot one it will be great. Mainly want to get my older dog on some wild birds, and let the birds teach my young pup, as they both need some work on their wild bird manners.

NW to NC is where you'll see the "gumbo" roads. They can be treacherous. They take longer to dry out and be passable after a rain/snow event than you might expect. A shady spot/stretch on an east-west dirt road can be difficult for weeks.

I'll second KSHusker's comments about Verizon. Traditionally they have provided the best coverage in the state and I've used them or their predecessors for probably 20+ years.

I think nw ks is where most of the emergency haying took place.? I don’t how it’s going to affect those enrolled in walk-in hunting but we’ll know in a few weeks. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Planning to be in North-West Kansas if that helps at all.
Checking the weather last year, looks like it was min 40's for the most part, but will make sure to bring lots of layers.
As for birds I am super excited, if we shoot one it will be great. Mainly want to get my older dog on some wild birds, and let the birds teach my young pup, as they both need some work on their wild bird manners.
We hunted 5 days with 4 dogs. We found pheasants, quail and chickens, killed some of all. Certainly not limits though.We traveled from SW Va. Absolutely worth the effort. We will be back this January.

As to road conditions especially in NWKS is: IF IT LOOKS BLACK TURN BACK. Find another way in or pass on the spot. One of my best spots is like that. Any moisture it turns to pure hell.

Clothing is just like everybody has mentioned. Bring every combo and you’ll end up just wearing a T-shirt. Forget it and you’ll need it. There are Walmart’s along I-70 that generally have descent hunting departments. Don’t forget multiple pairs of boots. CRP can be wet in the morning and make for wet socks and boots.

Last bit of advise is to bring dog boots. Burrs, goat heads, cactus, and stickers can be prolific.

Other than that. First and foremost HAVE FUN!

Good call on the dog boots, as I would have never thought about that. My dogs have never had to wear them also, so it will be good to get them use to them before we get out there

I usually don’t take my dog boots where we hunt in Kansas but after seeing how bad the sand burs were around Salt Plains in Oklahoma this year, I threw them in the box just in case.

In NW Kansas in January it could be -20 with a foot plus of snow on the ground, or it could be 60 and bare. Prepare for both. It can change in an instant!

Good rule of thumb if there has been any moisture and then freezing at night: If you are not on a maintained, surfaced county road, get back to one by 10am or you may stay until it freezes the following night.

I've only had trouble on one opening weekend. Was in 2009. First day was fine. Second day bad. I'll never forget sliding perpendicular down the hill and having zero control over my truck. 4 low, 4 hi didn't matter. Thankfully there was a pull in over a cattle guard and I somehow managed to get up on the grass and turned around and wing it back the 1/2 mile to the highway. Changed clothes and headed home. They aren't lying. DO NOT drive on the Kansas back roads if wet.

These roads sounds like it will make for an adventure! Probably not a bad idea to bring a couple tow straps then I imagine, maybe a recovery board or two
Last yr we were driving down a road witch in a matter of feet change to grease and abruptly ended in a corn field. 5:00 in the evening , stratled the ditch and the edge of the "road" backing up to get out. Be very aware.

I've only had trouble on one opening weekend. Was in 2009. First day was fine. Second day bad. I'll never forget sliding perpendicular down the hill and having zero control over my truck. 4 low, 4 hi didn't matter. Thankfully there was a pull in over a cattle guard and I somehow managed to get up on the grass and turned around and wing it back the 1/2 mile to the highway. Changed clothes and headed home. They aren't lying. DO NOT drive on the Kansas back roads if wet.
I had just bought a new truck a month before the opener that year. At one point while sitting still at the top of a hill trying to decide which way to go the truck started sliding sideways. Needless to say the wife was not happy when I got home with mud from top to bottom.
I’m try to be smarter now and definitely agree that if the roads are wet I stay off of them.

Well, heading that way in the morning. Be safe everyone and good luck!

Jet, it was the worst situation I’ve been in. Would have been a long and lonely walk to a farm for a pull. Glad I didn’t have to do that!

Back