Heading to Kansas

Typical guide tactic. Claim NW KS is loaded w/birds and kill 4 every time out. Forget to mention that it’s in private ground until called out on it. No wonder WIHA is beat to death but then it sure helps the guide bookings……
I never denied private ground. Not once. I’ve been open and said I hunt both. I have that right. Put your money where your mouth is dude and let’s go hunt some walk in. Bet me I won’t pull 4 in a morning with my dogs. Come up and we pick the walk ins together. You do enough scouting and time on the ground and you’ll find the good walk in stuff. Don’t be a sourpuss and have to bag on me cause you can’t do it. Tell me the time dude. Bring your dogs.

Do you guys have a shell preference for a mixed bag? I shoot a 16, but will also be bringing a 20 (and possibly a 12 just in case things get even more western).

I’m not saying anything cause all these guys will jump on me and think I’m BSing about a certain shell shot size too lol
Some did jump on ya - sometimes what is said online is taken the wrong way as there is no non verbal body language to go with it -

Anyways should we start an intro thread? May seem helpful - would also be nice to have more contributors here - many aren't active anymore due to discussion forums dying in general and a # of other reasons -- I enjoy this one and I know me personally would welcome some new participants such as yourself.

Also another question on blaze orange...the way I read the regs, blaze orange is only required for deer hunters? Am I reading this right? My vest has orange, and I usually try and throw on a orange hat, just want to make sure I am legal

Typical guide tactic. Claim NW KS is loaded w/birds and kill 4 every time out. Forget to mention that it’s in private ground until called out on it. No wonder WIHA is beat to death but then it sure helps the guide bookings……
Yeah definitely agree with this statement. When I first read his post he "kills 4 every time out" but now he is backtracking saying he doesn't hardly shoot any when he goes out? WTF seriously dude, stay the hell off this forum it is not for guides IMO

Also another question on blaze orange...the way I read the regs, blaze orange is only required for deer hunters? Am I reading this right? My vest has orange, and I usually try and throw on a orange hat, just want to make sure I am legal
You are correct blaze is only required for deer hunters. I wear a blaze orange ball cap when I hunt pheasants. Go back to brown tones when I chase prairie chickens.

Right, but if you're hunting public wear some orange to be safe, you never know who's out there or may come in on you especially if you're a single or small group.

Blows my mind how blaze orange isn't required. There's been a time or two when hunting public that I've gotten pretty close to someone not knowing they were there cause they didn't have a lick or orange on.

Yeah definitely agree with this statement. When I first read his post he "kills 4 every time out" but now he is backtracking saying he doesn't hardly shoot any when he goes out? WTF seriously dude, stay the hell off this forum it is not for guides IMO
I can shoot 4 rosters almost any morning out yes. If I’m running young dogs or training I won’t shoot due to circumstances. If they bust one, creep in on a point, or just don’t keep on the bird. I won’t kill a bird over a dog not doing his job. Does the dog no good. You are more than welcome to come up and hunt. I’ll kill 4 in a morning in front of you. Bring your dogs also. I’d like to see them work lol.

Do you guys have a shell preference for a mixed bag? I shoot a 16, but will also be bringing a 20 (and possibly a 12 just in case things get even more western).
IMO a 16 gauge is about perfect. When hunting in Kansas I shoot #6 in the first barrel and # 5 in the second. I also keep a handful of #7.5 for hunting up quail singles after a covey has flushed.

Headed out this Wednesday with son and brother in law for a pre Christmas hunt. Hope we can kick up a few in North Central KS.

Any idea on bird numbers around the centralia/manhattan area? My trip is going to be cut short due to a dog injury and work restrictions unfortunately, so I am looking to change areas. Hoping to be out there next week

Plenty of people quail hunt that area with some success, and even find an occasional pheasant or greater prairie chicken. I don't, but not because of the quality of the hunting. I just don't have the contacts with landowners, the time investment in scouting public and WIHA, and I'm closer to areas that are just as good or better.

Thank you for the advice! I just hate to drive too far to only hunt two days, but also hate to not drive far enough and waste two days! Hope everyone’s season is going well!

I have acces to about 1500 acres in the area you speak of , 10 years ago we had no reason to go west . We could do well on both pheasant and Quail .

There is some Quail I that area but I would think moving 3 coveys a day in present day would be a real good day and seeing a pheasant a rarity . There might be a fe was pockets with roosters but it’s skinny .

I would say your best bet is Salina west or even better Hays west .

Still going to be tougher than in years past .

Thank you for the advice! I have no problem driving to find the birds, we have about 5 in the entire state of Ohio it seems! Mainly in it for the experience with the dogs, both have never seen wild birds, so that's my main priority

Back