Hat

Key word, old boy: tweed.

Consider a blaze orange "Boonie hat"

They're durable, shield your ears, forehead, and some of your neck and face, shed precipitation, and come recommended by the armed services.

You may have to forego the blaze orange, but the best are Army surplus in my experience.

You may also need a second matched shotgun and someone to carry and load for you.

Be safe, have fun, look lordly.

:thumbsup:

My Doc warned me about baseball caps & being "seasoned" to many years in the Sun outdoors. He strongly suggested that to help avoid skin cancer
around the nose, ears, neck, eyes / temple areas to wear a hat with a brim wide enough to shade the aforementioned areas.

Consider a blaze orange "Boonie hat" :thumbsup:

Excellent recommendation, old boy. With a boonie that has a chin strap, when your ears get cold turn it upside down and the chin strap will hold the brim against your ears.

What ever happened to the old Jones style hunting cap? That's all I worn back in the 50's and 60's. I see you can still buy them online but i never see anyone wearing one in the field. They were quite versatile as you could pull the back down to shed water for provide some shade.

I have a Cabela's blaze orange cowboy hat. It has become my trademark over the years. Also it is quite handy to stick on a cornstalk or lay on the ground to mark the site of a lost bird.

REALLY like the campaign hat . Nice shell belt as well. Beaver is equally nice too. You have it all covered. Nice.

What ever happened to the old Jones style hunting cap? That's all I worn back in the 50's and 60's. I see you can still buy them online but i never see anyone wearing one in the field. They were quite versatile as you could pull the back down to shed water for provide some shade.
I wear a Jones Style when I am after geese and ducks when it’s cold , just like my dear old dad used to!
His was flannel lined however , mine is Gortex!
DHT

Last edited:
Of course it's for fun. That's what hunting should be. Nothing better to add a little class than a unique lid.
I agree. Its all for fun, and the fun thing is getting out there in the country.Numbers don't matter to me, although I like to get a few opportunities at birds.I bought a Stetson fedora several years ago, and I kind of like it.I don't pay to hunt, and I don't have fancy stuff, but I'm not cheap.I don't count every penny on a Bird hunting trip.I find frugal people extremely annoying.

Back