Hat

Nasty-G

Now that I have a pointer, French Britt, I feel I must Act & dress more Gentlemanly. Looking for a hat that looks the part of a Baron or such. The Austrian shooting hat with feathers looks nice. Thinking about staying away from the Breeks & Shooting jacket, but who knows. Would appreciate suggestions from those of you who are already "there" . Do I need a pipe ? I have a nice Browning BSS 20 ga. to hang over my arm.

Can't go wrong with a Browning BSS 20 ga. Sure wish I hadn't sold mine 30+ years ago for $300. :(

I too have been thinking about a hat. Always wear a cap but thought a nice orange hat would be nice for early in the season. Maybe even something like a straw type hat for those warmer days. Probably be okay when the wind isn't blowing too bad. Can't find much on the web. I did find this inexpensive cowboy style. For $14.99 I just might work.

http://www.e4hats.com/chin-strap-paper-straw-cowboy-hat-orange.html

Haha, I bought a nice hat a couple years ago. Objectively, it probably looks good on me too, but I feel dumb as hell wearing it. I think it's because I am not fancy, I don't have fancy dogs or gear, and the crowd I hunt with is pretty "git-er-done"... It's a nice hat though... I thought I would love it, but I grab the orange stocking hat and/or the ball cap every time. "It just aint' right." :cool:

Now that I have a pointer, French Britt, I feel I must Act & dress more Gentlemanly. Looking for a hat that looks the part of a Baron or such. The Austrian shooting hat with feathers looks nice. Thinking about staying away from the Breeks & Shooting jacket, but who knows. Would appreciate suggestions from those of you who are already "there" . Do I need a pipe ? I have a nice Browning BSS 20 ga. to hang over my arm.

Don't know about the pipe ect.--BUT--may want to avoid the Austrian Hat--

With a --FRENCH DOG-- any thing GERMAN--MAY CAUSE--THEM TO GO INTO UNCONTROLLED TREMBLING--UNCONTROLLED BLADDER AND SPHINCTER MUSCLE RELEASE--:mad::);)

I have a feeling this is just for fun, but I did kind of the same thing. As a half joke I bought a Bailey's Fedora at a Sportsmans Warehouse for opening day with the buddies to be an arse. And it actually became a heavily used piece of gear. Waterproof, and the wide brim has kept me from burning the ears off (been seeing too many farmers with ear amputations from cancer lately. Blocks the sun a whole lot better than the ballcap.

Of course it's for fun. That's what hunting should be. Nothing better to add a little class than a unique lid.

I guess if you want to be part of the stuffy crowd, that's OK. Hope your search for proper gear & outerwear goes well. I think to really "have arrived" though, there's a whole change in attitude you've got to adopt. For example, you can't call your shotgun something as hick as just "my gun". Assuming it fits the bill, try referring to it as "my fowling piece". See if it suits you & go from there. I really think there's no middle ground here.

Back