Habitat stamp Required

Well, that is just one more strike against hunting SD again. I really enjoyed it for years hunting 1999 until 2016. After 2011 there were fewer and fewer birds each year. I have been hunting in Kansas since 2017. Lot of birds and the license is good for the year. I was thinking about a trip to SD in a year or two if the bird numbers improved. While the new stamp doesn't mean we need to have a tea party but it doesn't help.

i wouldn't say there are lots of birds in Kansas, as it has been spotty at best over the last few years.....more walk in and places to go, but hunting pressure can be an issue....yes, one time fee for the whole season is still a pretty good deal...a few more quail now too.

No question that they are trying to bridge the 6M gap. Another positive reason for calling it a habitat stamp and not just increasing the cost of the license is that it gives more flexibility for that money actually be spent on habitat, which I am 100% in favor of. If the increase was in license cost only then only a small percentage of that cost Would likely go directly to habitat.
the 700K spent on road surveys was IMO a horrible use of funds if the SDGFP was attempting to market pheasant hunting, which it was. Don’t get me wrong, I loved seeing the road counts released, but Showing -50% to -100% on road counts over a ten year period doesn’t encourage people on the fence to make a decision to go spend money in SD. Can’t wait for Fall and the chance to end socially distancing from pheasants.

So the price went up. I'm still going. It's an incredibly good break from "real life" with friends I've hunted with since 1981. It's great visiting with the friends we've made over the last 15 years or so. The dogs absolutely love it. I absolutely love it.

Will the politicians waste most of the additional $25? Absolutely! It's what politicians do. They tell you one thing and do another. Maybe there'll be a minuscule improvement in habitat and public hunting opportunities in the next few years; I'm certainly not expecting much though. And SD certainly lags other upland states in terms of quality public hunting opportunities in my humble opinion. (Oh those school sections....makes the acreage total look good but that's all).

But let's have a reality check. $25? Show stopper? Really? Let's see, last year that would have been about half a fill up of my old F-250 while we were hunting. It would be maybe two boxes of average pheasant loads; box and a half of premium fodder. 30-40 pound bag of dog food unless you feed premium dog food; then it'd buy 2/3 of a bag or so.

The beauty of it all is that everyday we get to make our own choices about how to spend our remaining time on this astral plane. (At least until the Antifa Fascists take control). I've moved back to Kansas, a top ranked pheasant state. I've had a lifetime license here for decades so I don't even have to buy a license. That said....I'm still going to SD.

Hope you all have a great year with friends, dogs and birds!

As has been stated previously, it's not the $25....I just like to be leveled with, whether it's my kids,or, SD GFP....I like it straight...maybe we're getting it straight, dunno....kind of don't think so, frankly. I will share an anecdote that provides tangible evidence, basically, of how to increase habitat; I was at a grad party in SD this weekend, and chatted with a woman who works for the NRCS as a tree technician....helps landowners plan, prep, and plant trees as part of their conservation plans. The district conservationist that she has worked with for 15 years is transferring to an office closer to his home. She is bummed, as he was great at convincing landowners to enroll land in the various programs like CRP that exist....which creates LOTS of work....I've done it, can only imagine the workload on their side of the desk....I don't think their paycheck changes whether they get more acres enrolled....but this guy has a passion for it, and hunters in that county are the beneficiaries...it takes guys like him that can promote these programs that exist at the federal level....the state can do some things, but the heavy lifting is provided by the USDA, USFWS, NRCS, etc. WIA basically needs land that's already enrolled in CRP, CREP, etc. If I had to allocate $700,000 to increase habitat, I would use it to provide $ incentives--bonuses, basically--for district conservationists who exceed acreage targets into the conservation programs that exist. Giving an employee that makes $60,000 or $75,000 a $15,000 bonus probably is enough to change behavior...you could potentially energize 50 of those district conservationists to enroll land...just my thought. I spent the past 5 days in SD,,,put on lots of miles....there are lots of areas that have good habitat, and there are good bird #'s in those areas. Some of these areas are very large...it should be a good season.

BB: As has been stated previously, it's not the $25....I just like to be leveled with, whether it's my kids,or, SD GFP....I like it straight

Yep, me too. I wish they would just level with us.

However, I think that's a forlorn hope. It's not the biologists making these decisions. It's the political type bureaucrats that make these decisions. In my experience, trying to get the straight scoop from a politician or a bureaucrat is not realistic.

The guys making these calls are primarily interested in themselves and their own advancement. If bringing NR hunter's money to SD helps them advance then any tactic is justifiable in their minds. Including not being straight with us.

As upland hunters we should have been promoting this stamp (and the funds it would generate) 10-years ago when it was clear the ethanol driven commodity price run-up was going to make a lot of marginal acres worth putting back into production. People always question State of SD, SDGF&P motives but their commitment to supporting & funding upland habitat, access etc. etc. is easily top quartile if not best in class.

I'm also not at all offended that it is all done within the context of simultaneously keeping the tourism hunting economy viable as well. Hunting and other resource heavy outdoor activities will always need public funding to survive but if we want to see them thrive there needs to be something additive. This can be an economic engine like what pheasant hunting can do in SD and also more long-term dollar contributions (and less entitlement attitudes) from those who directly consume the resource.

I hope SD takes these $$ and does what they accomplished with CREP. Match state dollars with Federal $$ and then leverage resources & knowledge from organizations like DU & PF to get good habitat w/access on the ground. This is an important time. Commodity prices are low, soil health is suffering and water quality is suffering. Great time to leverage some common sense partnerships between land owners, state & federal agencies, habitat organizations & conservation minded individuals etc. to make strategic lasting changes on the landscape that are more resilient than just relying on CRP funding & participation.

As upland hunters we should have been promoting this stamp (and the funds it would generate) 10-years ago when it was clear the ethanol driven commodity price run-up was going to make a lot of marginal acres worth putting back into production. People always question State of SD, SDGF&P motives but their commitment to supporting & funding upland habitat, access etc. etc. is easily top quartile if not best in class.

I'm also not at all offended that it is all done within the context of simultaneously keeping the tourism hunting economy viable as well. Hunting and other resource heavy outdoor activities will always need public funding to survive but if we want to see them thrive there needs to be something additive. This can be an economic engine like what pheasant hunting can do in SD and also more long-term dollar contributions (and less entitlement attitudes) from those who directly consume the resource.

I hope SD takes these $$ and does what they accomplished with CREP. Match state dollars with Federal $$ and then leverage resources & knowledge from organizations like DU & PF to get good habitat w/access on the ground. This is an important time. Commodity prices are low, soil health is suffering and water quality is suffering. Great time to leverage some common sense partnerships between land owners, state & federal agencies, habitat organizations & conservation minded individuals etc. to make strategic lasting changes on the landscape that are more resilient than just relying on CRP funding & participation.
Hope so, good points across the board. We’re now $27 trillion in debt, hope the Feds can find $ for this...doubt it.

SD has never been transparent regarding how they spend this money. Why, what are they hiding?
my point is people would/might be more supportive of this new surcharge if they knew the percentage of distribution of these newly generated funds,
doesn't seem like too much to ask, does it??

Last edited:
I don't know if we're in the 2nd inning of Covid or the 5th...either way, it's gonna co$t a lot...we'll be in the 32-35 trillion range as far as national debt by the time we're through it, IMO...people will be looking for their stimulus $, their unemployment enhancement, their 3rd round of PPP, etc...conservation may not be at the top of anybody's list...:(

These responses sound promising. Hope many more are thinking about cancelling their trip to SD this fall over a $25 habitat stamp. Less competition for me and my buddies. Heck, I Drive 1000 miles out there 2-3 times per season....I could go 12 trips out there for the cost of a condo for one week with the wife in Florida.

She booked a place last year that was about $2000 for a week....I complained a little....she said " Well you go to SD TWICE." I said "Yep! And I split a $50/night room with another guy!"
lodging $125
Licence $150 ( 2 trips)
Beer $60
Ammo $50 (at least 2 trips)
Wife: Silence

at the rate we are going, i figure a lot of states will be imposing a 14 day quarantine this fall, when the regular
flu hits and confuses everyone. could make for long lines at the border rest areas where some mandatory rapid testing may be required with a certificate of wellness to enter the state, unless you are essential in your position.
no telling how extreme things may get. hope not as that would slow things down a bit and make stay at home/ preserve hunting an option.

You bring up a good point. I am wondering what do I have to do to keep week two hunters safe from week one hunters and what do I have to do to keep my help and I safe as we clean up and prepare for the next group?

Oh haymaker you are so right. I think all you can do is ignore the politics and follow CDC's guidelines. Perhaps you need to keep an open day between groups? I understand that there are some commercial treatments that are pretty reliable on sanitanzing areas with ozone{?} or something else. Whatever you think it looks like masks help, maybe requiring them is necessary. And in 2 months things and recommendations will have changed. A couple of points is that many pheasant hunters are older and thus high risk, they will like to feel that you have taken every precaution that you can. Good luck and just try your best, this isn't going to magically get better sometime in the near future.

Oh haymaker you are so right. I think all you can do is ignore the politics and follow CDC's guidelines. Perhaps you need to keep an open day between groups? I understand that there are some commercial treatments that are pretty reliable on sanitanzing areas with ozone{?} or something else. Whatever you think it looks like masks help, maybe requiring them is necessary. And in 2 months things and recommendations will have changed. A couple of points is that many pheasant hunters are older and thus high risk, they will like to feel that you have taken every precaution that you can. Good luck and just try your best, this isn't going to magically get better sometime in the near future.

These responses sound promising. Hope many more are thinking about cancelling their trip to SD this fall over a $25 habitat stamp. Less competition for me and my buddies. Heck, I Drive 1000 miles out there 2-3 times per season....I could go 12 trips out there for the cost of a condo for one week with the wife in Florida.

She booked a place last year that was about $2000 for a week....I complained a little....she said " Well you go to SD TWICE." I said "Yep! And I split a $50/night room with another guy!"
lodging $125
Licence $150 ( 2 trips)
Beer $60
Ammo $50 (at least 2 trips)
Wife: Silence
My wife never complains- REALLY -
BELIEVE -if i tried that example though she might bring up—
1-Four wheel drive expedition-Needed to tow
2-Lance travel trailer
3-yearly vet bills and meds for the dogs
4-travel and time plus expense of training
5-gun safe full of shot guns
6-closet’s of hunting clothing/boots,ect.
7-being gone for month or more—😈-wait she might put that on the plus side😳

‘’ABOVE MEANT IN LIGHT HEARTED MANNER“

Do remember that when I was heavy into training and field trials-she did bring up how much we were spending—
‘My response—was “when you want to buy something ,go somewhere that we wish,do any thing with the house ect.
That I tell you we can’t afford be cause of the dogs “we will discuss it-
That spring we got home from Texas—we got all new hard wood floors,remodeled kitchen including granite countertops ,
and new carpet in the upstairs bedrooms,
She just waited for me to bring up the expense!!—I wasn’t that dumb—drove her crazy 😜

Back