Gun Purchase Advice

Prairie Drifter

After all these years of attending banquets and never winning anything but the dog food that the ants wouldn't carry off, I finally won a gun. A Henry Big Boy .44 caliber lever action. Well, figure that I wouldn't hit many birds with that, so I sold it. My intent is to roll that money into a concealed carry auto and an adult bolt action .22. My leaning for the C/C is a Glock 43. The 9mm ammo is cheaper than the .32 of the Glock 42. I've looked a bit at the Ruger LC9, but already use a Glock at work. As for the .22 bolt, I've been looking at the Ruger American Rifle but one gun shop recommended either a Marlin or Mossberg as an option. Anyone have experience with any of these. I'm more at home with smooth bores!

an adult bolt action .22.

I know you said a .22 bolt but the absolute most accurate .22s I have ever shot have been the lever action Marlin 39As. I have a lot of friends that own one, there's one in my safe and every single one is a tack driver.

Plus, there's something fun and historical about a lever gun. You can be John Wayne at the river in The Searchers for only about 6 cents a round right now.

If it HAS to be a bolt, the CZ455 has a good reputation, the Ruger M77/.22s are really nice but pricey. Don't know anything about the Ruger American. Anschutz makes a good one too.

Troy,

Cant help you with the .22. I looked at the glocks but they just didn't fit well in my hand. I would suggest looking at the S&W MP Shield Line up, I purchased a .45 this winter and love it. Very little recoil and a nice little compact pistol. The price is pretty good as well. When I purchased mine it came with standard mag 6+1 and extended 7+1 they also had a deal going of a free extended. I chose to get the one with the thumb safety. The 9mm is basically on the same frame from what i'm told. They also have the MP 45 that is not a compact 7 oz heavier and capacity is 10+1. Just another option. I've sent 100+ rounds through mine and could shoot it all day.

I have both the Glock 43 and the Shield. They both shoot great. The Glock is a little lighter than the shield and easier to break down; however, I believe the Shield has a little less recoil. Can't go wrong with either one.

I have both the glock 43 and 42. I like the Glock 42 better for CC. I think its a little lighter and a little smaller. but I also really like the 43, and if I didn't have the 42 the 43 is what I would CC. I also have the 26 (the 9mm double stack (might be the 27, not sure)) and I do not like it for CC the 42 and 43 are so much easier to carry. I know you didn't really ask about the glocks just my 2 cents.

Jim

So, wha'd ya get??? I took some of the proceeds from the last gun I sold to buy a lever .22. Not too practical of a purchase, but it is fun to plink with. :cheers:

After all these years of attending banquets and never winning anything but the dog food that the ants wouldn't carry off, I finally won a gun. A Henry Big Boy .44 caliber lever action. Well, figure that I wouldn't hit many birds with that, so I sold it. My intent is to roll that money into a concealed carry auto and an adult bolt action .22. My leaning for the C/C is a Glock 43. The 9mm ammo is cheaper than the .32 of the Glock 42. I've looked a bit at the Ruger LC9, but already use a Glock at work. As for the .22 bolt, I've been looking at the Ruger American Rifle but one gun shop recommended either a Marlin or Mossberg as an option. Anyone have experience with any of these. I'm more at home with smooth bores!

If looking for a .22 for an adult the CZ line of 455's are great and superior accuracy. on the auto .9mm you may want to look at the CZ P10C (new striker fire gun) , or the CZ 75 D compact PCR. :10sign:

www.cz-usa.com

Last edited:
I've pretty much settled on the Glock 43. As a back up weapon, having armorers in house makes that an easy choice. As for the .22, I have looked at the CZ 455, Ruger American, Ruger 77/22, Marlin XT, Mossberg 802, Savage Axis, Remington 783, Mossberg Patriot Kryptek Highlander, and Savage Mark II. I like the CZ a lot. Could really like the 77/22, but it's twice the price. I could easily be happy with several of the others. Feel free to jump in and shorten my list!

Ah, the pursuit of toys! Went by Cabelas after calling and finding out they had a CZ 455 in the varmint model. Got to pet it and a Ruger 77/22. Both really nice guns, but the varmint model did feel ponderous with the heavy barrel. Unfortunately, the few stores that handle the CZ models don't have any in stock and can't tell me when they will. I can order one on line that would come to the store and I could look at it and deny it where they would rebate my credit card. That seems like a painful journey. There was a new and used 77/22 there, but the price tag is enormous! I'd like to pet the CZ American and the Trainer. Might also like to look at the higher end model I forgot the name of that has I think a 28 inch barrel. Thoughts?

I won 2 rifles in the last year and used up all my luck. Same as u I sold them both as I all ready have 3 deer rifles. I bought the 455 american and had it ordered from my LGS took 2 weeks. Recently got the third barrel direct from CZ website. 660$ and I've got all three rimfires. The downside to this gun is the glass is gonna cost you. In order to make use of the accuracy and range of the two bigger calibers you need more than the 3-9 burris I put on mine to try. Minimum glass I can find or recommended on rim fire site is another 200. The 17 is a rangy round and hard to really shoot at a 100 with nine power. I know it will shoot sub MOA. The other purchase I had to make was a torque wrench for 50$ to change the barrels. It is a fun gun! Could maybe be a little bigger gun.

Glock 43 or mp shield depending on what one feels better in your hands the shield can be had pretty cheap if the $75 rebate is still on.

Ruger or cz for the 22

Ah, the pursuit of toys! Went by Cabelas after calling and finding out they had a CZ 455 in the varmint model. Got to pet it and a Ruger 77/22. Both really nice guns, but the varmint model did feel ponderous with the heavy barrel. Unfortunately, the few stores that handle the CZ models don't have any in stock and can't tell me when they will. I can order one on line that would come to the store and I could look at it and deny it where they would rebate my credit card. That seems like a painful journey. There was a new and used 77/22 there, but the price tag is enormous! I'd like to pet the CZ American and the Trainer. Might also like to look at the higher end model I forgot the name of that has I think a 28 inch barrel. Thoughts?

PM me I believe I can assist you. :thumbsup:

Kick them Up
CZ-USA

CZ for the win. Wife and I both have 452's. Might check with Whittakers in Kentucky, they get some runs of 452 Americans in periodically even though they're supposedly discontinued. Most people like the 455 but then the ones that own both say they prefer the 452.

See if you can rent a few and try before you buy. Everyone is different. what feels good to me may not to you.

Lots of good choices for Everyday carry gun. Springfield XDS, M&P Shield, Walther PPS, Ruger LC9 etc.. That said, if your used to Glock's and like the way they handle then stick with a Glock.

Back