Grouse And Hun Opener

gjw

Hey all, well today was the opener for Grouse and Huns. It was a good day, temps lower, winds not too bad and sunny. We hunted a ranch where we have for close to 20 years now. Some of the prairie has been hayed, but still enough to hunt. We saw more grouse today than we have in the last couple years. Most of the birds were young (that's good!). Took Raina out and she did well, a bit tuckered as she is a bit out of shape, but she stuck with it. I was able to limit in an hour and a half. Got a double out of one group and then a single out of another. Jim managed 1. It was one of those not in the right place and the right time.

Anyway, here's Raina with the days tally. Jim used his AyA 20ga

QK89z4T.jpg

Here's my birds. I was using my "meat" gun. A Charles Boswell 16b BLE.

HL7m1qJ.jpg

It was a good day with number 2 son. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Best!

Greg

Good day where we were as well…88% of our birds were young of the year, great thing. Most others I am in touch with did well. MT was good as well….Huns included.

Greg great photos as normal! Congratulations. Ordered a AyA 4/53 16 this spring ! November delivery!!! North Dakota in November for a trial run🤩

Greg great photos as normal! Congratulations. Ordered a AyA 4/53 16 this spring ! November delivery!!! North Dakota in November for a trial run🤩

Thanks for the kind words!

When are you coming out in November? Our Deer gun season is Nov 7-22. Might be a bit tough hunting birds then unless you have some private land to hunt on. Most of the public land will be overrun with deer hunters.

Thanks again!

Greg

Are sharpies good to eat?

Yes I love them. Marinate in milk 24hrs, put 1/2 jalapeno in center, wrap in bacon then grill until bacon is cooked. Very simple!
With the older birds we do that..,we put pepperoni and red pepper inside and roll them up and bacon wrap….after marinating in zesty Italian dressing

Thanks for the kind words!

When are you coming out in November? Our Deer gun season is Nov 7-22. Might be a bit tough hunting birds then unless you have some private land to hunt on. Most of the public land will be overrun with deer hunters.

Thanks again!

Greg
I will likely make a trip both before and after deer season. Weather permitting!

A lot of rain, kind of screwed up some of our 1 st half day today. Sharpies were in family groups but were running and flying out of range- it was wet and muddy. We decided to push north and west another several hours to get out of the rain and hunt new territory for the evening- got into some good looking hun territory- made a couple of runs but no birds. Happy with the dog work- a little frustrated w/ weather and that they were getting up way out. Got into a fair amount of pheasant while walking through field bottoms while en route to the truck. A” little mad at them”—Going to hunt some fields we have history with tommorrow to even out the odds. We’ll see…

Didn't flush a single grouse, but saw a very mice mule buck bedded on a hill who thought he was well hidden. Too bad I didn't take a bow with, it was a very doable stalk...

Awesome, looks like a happy dog! Just curious, what type of shells and chokes on those nice shotguns?

Sharptails ... calm, warm and dry ... sit tight. cool, windy, cloudy, wet ... they tend to get up pretty far out ... even early season.

Sharptails love those sparcely vegitated hill tops on those cool, wet and windy days ...

In the winter they sit on the south side of hilltops basking in the sun trying to stay warm ... especially when windy is blowing hard from the N or NW.

Wet mornings ... sharptails love perching in those single row tree belts. If they get nervouse they fly a long ways away. Pheasants in trees tend to drop more straight down and more approachable ... well their scent is ... they still may run.

Last edited:
Hey all, well today was the opener for Grouse and Huns. It was a good day, temps lower, winds not too bad and sunny. We hunted a ranch where we have for close to 20 years now. Some of the prairie has been hayed, but still enough to hunt. We saw more grouse today than we have in the last couple years. Most of the birds were young (that's good!). Took Raina out and she did well, a bit tuckered as she is a bit out of shape, but she stuck with it. I was able to limit in an hour and a half. Got a double out of one group and then a single out of another. Jim managed 1. It was one of those not in the right place and the right time.

Anyway, here's Raina with the days tally. Jim used his AyA 20ga

QK89z4T.jpg

Here's my birds. I was using my "meat" gun. A Charles Boswell 16b BLE.

HL7m1qJ.jpg

It was a good day with number 2 son. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Best!

Greg
That is one beautiful "meat" gun! Did you guys see many pheasants around?

Back