Grass Eating!!

waggs

I don't know why they do it and the truth is I really don't care.

But!! My issue is--

Here is the every 3 or 4 day ritual that seems to be the norm around my 2 water heads.

Let them out.
They run around the property looking over and smelling every thing. Twice. Then they head over to any spot that has some grass 4 inches or longer and start eating like cattle.:nutz:

Well the proper amount of brewing time goes buy and after carefully selecting the proper location the urge hits them to deposit a land mine. Midway thru the job, one or the other is stuck in the fecal position with a dingleberry hanging off a blade of grass.

Thats when they turn and look at me with that look of Pleeease help me. :eek: Yuck!!

Thats It. I just had to vent.:mad:

Well it's normal as far as I know. It has been suggested that the grass soothes the stomach, or replaces the gut flora that a wild dog would get in the digestive tract of wild animals and birds they would eat. Be relieved that they don't add a little cat deposit and come in and vomit all over the carpet. the ladies love that trick!!!

Well it's normal as far as I know. It has been suggested that the grass soothes the stomach, or replaces the gut flora that a wild dog would get in the digestive tract of wild animals and birds they would eat. Be relieved that they don't add a little cat deposit and come in and vomit all over the carpet. the ladies love that trick!!!

I don't get a dogs fancy of cat $#!* either. Leave the access open to the litter box and its buffet time as soon as you look away.

Don't get me wrong, I love my dogs dearly and they get a little spoiled here.--- But, I think they would turn there nose up too prime rib for a go at a cat turd with sprinkles from the litter box.
Add some grass, some rabbit pellets and some bear crap to roll in and you got doggy heaven around here.

dining

I have a French Britt who does not like no for an answer.
This is a very good dog but determined.
It took four "Major Corrections" b4 he gave up on the catbox.
He was caught red handed each time & soundly & roundly punished.
He knew the score & continued. He finally decided it was not worth the price.
Nowadays he cannot be pushed into the area.
Must be delicious ?????????//

There is no self respecting dog that won't go for the cat #$@!@, or will refuse a roll on a dead skunk, or fresh cow pie. It's why I use a dog trailer!

There is no self respecting dog that won't go for the cat #$@!@, or will refuse a roll on a dead skunk, or fresh cow pie. It's why I use a dog trailer!

Ugh - my Britt went straight into a calf hutch and rolled around in it. Talk about disgusting. Unfortunately, I only drive a car, and had to take him home afterward. Managed to hose him off beforehand, but the smell remained. He would love to dine in the litter boxes too, but access is restricted. And, he mows our lawn, too.

I agree with oldandnew the grass settles their stomach because it is upset from something they ate. I give my gsp 1/2 cup of cottage cheese every day and she does okay with this. She has had a sensitive stomach ever since she had a bout with parvo when she was a pup, that is why I give her cottage cheese.....Phil

the joke around our house is that with those spots, our springer must be half cow. She eats grass like it's any other food source. Matter of fact, she was just doing it a half hour ago at the park.

She doesn't puke it up like I've heard from other folks. But chasing her a$$ around when a long weed is dangling out is pretty much standard fair every few weeks.

It has been suggested that the grass soothes the stomach, or replaces the gut flora that a wild dog would get in the digestive tract of wild animals and birds they would eat.

If it soothes the stomach then why do my dogs throw it up later? It's not the grass that's bad it's the yellow stuff with it. Really tough to get out of the carpet. :(

Back