GoPro Hero

Thrasher

I got a GoPro Hero3+ for Christmas. I have used it a few times but the videos don't seem to turn out to well. For those of you that have one, what settings do you use for your videos? Wide, Medium, Narrow? What program do you use to assemble a bunch of short clips into one longer video? I have finally got a few videos of Molly doing her thing and would like to share.

Thanks for the help!!

I have an older Hero 2. I have the FOV set on narrow, so that you can see the birds and other things at a distance.

I am using Movie Maker to edit the clips.

Thanks, I will keep working at it. I used narrow on the last hunt and got some good clips of her on point and retrieving pheasant, just have to get it assembled and posted.

I have the Hero HD and use the wide setting at 1080. If I use the narrow setting it seems to fisheye too much. I use movie maker also. You can go to the quail hunting forum here and see some examples. I have started turning mine on once the dog goes on point. A gopro is a great toy to have.

I have the Hero HD and use the wide setting at 1080. If I use the narrow setting it seems to fisheye too much. I use movie maker also. You can go to the quail hunting forum here and see some examples. I have started turning mine on once the dog goes on point. A gopro is a great toy to have.

You have it backwards, wide is fisheyed.

Better for pointing shots I am sure. I filmed a whole bunch now and have concluded it is subpar compared to what u see on TV:rolleyes:. Very disappointed in the product. Bordering on false advertising. I have the hd and same fish eye trouble. All modes make it seem as if things are a mile away. Once a bird flushes, after just a few feet you can not see them, or the dog on the retrieve. The gunners in my training videos are 30 feet from me and they look like a hundred yards. Dog is running down wind for example and at 40 yards looks like he is gone and out of control. Things up close and personal, its ok. Like your dog sitting right in front of you. And that is grainy at best all the time. It is cheap in the big picture, and you get what you pay for. If you think your going to film a new TV program for American bird hunter, it aint happenin. Pointing videos you are kicking up the bird within a few feet to 10 feet max. That's why they think it is OK. Our videos we do not shoot birds before they get 20 feet. They are out there at 50 yards or so, and often 80 yard retrieves. And in those, if you can see a spec of a bird or dog your eyes are good. Bow hunting I think it would be fun.;)

Better for pointing shots I am sure. I filmed a whole bunch now and have concluded it is subpar compared to what u see on TV:rolleyes:. Very disappointed in the product. Bordering on false advertising. I have the hd and same fish eye trouble. All modes make it seem as if things are a mile away. Once a bird flushes, after just a few feet you can not see them, or the dog on the retrieve. The gunners in my training videos are 30 feet from me and they look like a hundred yards. Dog is running down wind for example and at 40 yards looks like he is gone and out of control. Things up close and personal, its ok. Like your dog sitting right in front of you. And that is grainy at best all the time. It is cheap in the big picture, and you get what you pay for. If you think your going to film a new TV program for American bird hunter, it aint happenin. Pointing videos you are kicking up the bird within a few feet to 10 feet max. That's why they think it is OK. Our videos we do not shoot birds before they get 20 feet. They are out there at 50 yards or so, and often 80 yard retrieves. And in those, if you can see a spec of a bird or dog your eyes are good. Bow hunting I think it would be fun.;)

It will be better with pointing dogs, but what is better :)

I assume you guys have seen my videos in the Quail hunting forum. Those are on a narrow FOV on a Hero2

Yes I saw them. I rest my case.;) That is about the best you get with a go pro. I had no better. Just as I described. OK, but as said anything gets 10 yards out good luck seeing it. Even in slow mode. Grainy and in and out of focus. Totally interrupted by sun as were most of mine. Only video I have seen anyone post up where you see the bird shot the retrieve is 10 feet to 10 yards. I could watch them all day from anyone and nothing will change. They are what they are. It does give a little insight as to whats going on I will give it that. But to someone shopping spending money, I won't sugar coat the camera, your getting what you pay for and not the type of crystal clear stupendous action filming as seen on TV. Even the pointer vids notice how quick a bird 10 feet in the air is suddenly invisible. Gunners shooting as fast as they can, and still can not see the fall. I won't toss it in the trash, I did get good videos of fishing where you net fish next to the boat and your pal is holding it up 5 feet away. Great for that. Basic puppy training close up I use it. But hunting, I won't bother any more unless I am bow hunting. Wasted entirely way too much time with it already. Some day maybe they will improve, the concept is awesome. But the brain in the product still needs some better capability. As far as dogs whats better is not the topic, but that is just a matter of opinion.:D Enjoyed the videos none the less. And they are pretty much similar to the best I have ever gotten. I had one hunting vid I was excited to edit. I had the dog flushing a nice rooster and retrieve to "hand", then all the sudden on the cast off goes two white tails right next to us. By the time I got the bird in the vest they were 20 yards away running. One peeled out across a plowed bean field. I kept the camer right on the deer. Dog paid no mind and we kept hunting. Thought it would be cool. I could see nothing of the deer, and showed viewers a nice long view of a plowed bean field and a dog giving me a bird LOL. Ended up deleting most videos down to just up close training shots. Bout it. And fishing. Fishing they work pretty well.

I like mine for what it is worth. I dont turn mine on until the point. I have it set to 1080 Narrow. Truly you dont need 1080, 720 is just as good and saves battery. But it doesnt offer Narrow.
I have been happy enough with what i have videoed thus far.
Deer hunting was another story. I arrowed my deer at 15-17 yard and you couldnt see much. I added a tracer and that helped. But i wont waste my time with it again. Plus, if you are in low light, forget it.

I think this camera was designed for the pros as far as some of the resolutions our tv's dont eve support. Maybe is a bit of false advertising in some sense. But it still is fun to play with. The only way I can work my dogs and video at the same time.

Oh, I use the software that Gopro offers to edit. At first it sucked, but they have fixed it. I love the option to use slow motion or fast motion.

My movie maker constantly freezes up on my computer:mad:

This would be my favorite video this year. It should benoted that when you watch a video on Youtube you need to change the quality to 1080. It wont do it for you. SO when you click on the link, then click on the tool to change quality.

And yes, I know, I was behind on the first shot.:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofNdhTxYrIc

Loved the vids SN.The youngman did a fine job, as did the dogs!

This video of the bird being pointed and shot is more than 10 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r079FpanYIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjgPRxRnMX4

When you watch it on youtube is it is not as clear as when seen on the computer. But when watching on youtube, change the setting on the bottom right corner to 720 or 1080.

But when you have a camera with a fixed lens, you only have a range that is so big that you can focus on.

Not referring to yours, I saw some with labs pointing. Bird was flushed and shot at 10 feet. Others you can see clearly the gunner is shooting as fast as possible and no matter the distance still very hard to see. Yes Mst, they are fun to play with. For me and my thinking is just that it is not quite what I expected. Yes it is about the only option right now. But I would not be surprised if something better does not come out soon with the big market, and considering how many are messing around with them. I will most likely be in line to buy the next thing LOL.:D

Steve....is that editing program usable on a "regular PC" movie maker I thought I'd heard was only available for Mac? I'm a little...ok ALOT stupid when it comes to this stuff...you'd think that being a professional cameraman for a waterfowl company for 5 years would have better educated me :eek: I wish I'd learned to edit and all that good stuff...I just filmed ...all our editing was done elsewhere...most people now do it all in house

I am doing this on a window PC. My old computer was XP and the one I have now is Windows 8.

I think Movie Maker is free to down load.

Could it be a windows 8 issue? I have uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing works. I get almost dont and a message comes up saying it has stopped working.

Could it be a windows 8 issue? I have uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing works. I get almost dont and a message comes up saying it has stopped working.

I am running windows 8, and not having any problems. You might look at how much RAM is needed to run Movie Maker. That could be a problem if you are a little short in your PC.

Thanks for all the info. I was going to buy one for my spring snow goose hunt. I think I will hold off.

Steve

Back