good time for new pup???

FieldKing

Hunting KS first time last month showed me I need dog power, I only have one dog. I have a chance to buy a 5 month old Setter from good line and was thinking that would give me 10 months before next season to let it be a fool and train a little, when do u guys prefer to get pups and why?

The thing I hate about getting a pup at this time of year is. "House Breaking". I like to take a pup out every hour to get it use to going in the back yard. In the summer the back yard is nice and warm. Now you will freeze your buns. I should add when I take the pup out I give it this command. "Get It Done" The pup will learn to go potty on command that way. Sure helps on trips.....Bob

In buying a 5 month old pup I would use caution. I would be very concerned with what has happened in the first 5 months of this pup's life. How well has the dog been socialized? What training has it had to this point? If the pup hasnt been properly socialized and started on some basic obedience you could be in for trouble. Case in point, back in the 80's I bought a pup that was about 4 months old. The "backyard" breeder still had several pups left out of the litter. The dogs had virtually no socialization and no training of any kind. Basically left in the kennel to do as they pleased. That dog was untrainable. I finally gave up and gave the pup away.

The pup you are looking at may be just fine but I would take a close look at the breeder and what's happened in these first 5 months. I prefer to get a pup at around 8 weeks of age or buy one that is 1 1/2 to 2 years old and started. Good luck in your decision.

In buying a 5 month old pup I would use caution. I would be very concerned with what has happened in the first 5 months of this pup's life. How well has the dog been socialized? What training has it had to this point? If the pup hasnt been properly socialized and started on some basic obedience you could be in for trouble. Case in point, back in the 80's I bought a pup that was about 4 months old. The "backyard" breeder still had several pups left out of the litter. The dogs had virtually no socialization and no training of any kind. Basically left in the kennel to do as they pleased. That dog was untrainable. I finally gave up and gave the pup away.

The pup you are looking at may be just fine but I would take a close look at the breeder and what's happened in these first 5 months. I prefer to get a pup at around 8 weeks of age or buy one that is 1 1/2 to 2 years old and started. Good luck in your decision.

Listen closely to what DZ has said- he is a wise man.;)

MY experience is very similar after 40 years with all kinds of gun dogs. Short story, there was a Brittany litter in the middle of PA that nobody knew about.
Bred in the purple, by DC Char-Lee O Dee out of a DC Gringo bi**h. Both dogs are now in the FTHOF. We got wind of the litter and my buddy bot a female and I a male pup. Both dogs were untrainable at the end of the day. His ran off during a bird hunt and I finally gave mine away as a pet. The litter was well cared for but had not been properly socialized. Just kept in a nice kennel, fed watered and cleaned up daily. No socialization at all.

So check out that 5 mo ES pup very, very carefully. There may be a good reason he's left over.......

NB

I agree with the socialization aspects. Many of the pups I bought in the past greeted me at the car when I drove in the place, toys, kids everywhere, pups galloping around the yard. I think there is no bad time to get a dog, but it has to be the right dog. You know when you meet a dog right away, is he open to being messed with? Can you roll him over on his back without agression or resistence? If there is abond between you, you know. Some dogs are aloof, would rather be doing something else than be with you, not what you want. The last two pups I bought were ready just before Thanksgiving three years ago, I went to see them on a brutually cold sleeting day, husband hunter gone at work, shown by the wife who was home with a new baby, dogs in a kennel with a lightbulb for heat, French Britts, about the size of a purse dog, with my daughters in tow, open the kennel, two males rush into their arms, snuggle under their coats, not a cheap from either of them. Other pups wouldn't even come out. Went to get a female pup, guess which two came home? I didn't even know what color they were till it warmed up in the car. Have never regretted it, been two dogs which trained and finished themselves, just by exposure to birds. Been sleeping on the bed ever since. Ended up buying their mother. All three follow me everyhere, from room to room, in the house. Only other advice I have is get an older pup out as soon and often as you can, don't expect much, but as soon as the pup can break cover and is reliable to come and load, get it out! It may cost you shots in the short run, but will be worth it down the line. Some of the greatest hunts I've ever had was with a precocious pup, make a lot of memories to savor over a long hot off season, for both of you.

I don't think there is ever a "BAD" time of year to purchase the right Dog!!!!! Great Post!!!! :10sign:

I teach, so I like to have summer pups so I can spend the day with them, and house break them. That said, I have a 10 week old pup that I'm bringing up and the cold isn't much of an issue as far as housebreaking. I'd almost say it HELPS cause that little pup just runs outside, does her business then wants to get inside where it's warm! No dawdling here! :)

I would follow others advice but also add that there is no bad time to buy a pup. Don't put too much thought into the season or time of year you buy a pup but whether the time is right for you. Are you ready for the added responsibility and what not of a pup. Don't put too much emphasis on it being ready for next season and put more on just being everything the pup needs you to be. In time if you do it right no matter when you buy it you will have a great bird dog but more importantly a great friend to share time/memories with in the field. Just my two cents. Also I bought my older female at 4 months old and she has been nothing short of a joy to be around both in and out of the field.

I teach, so I like to have summer pups so I can spend the day with them, and house break them. That said, I have a 10 week old pup that I'm bringing up and the cold isn't much of an issue as far as housebreaking. I'd almost say it HELPS cause that little pup just runs outside, does her business then wants to get inside where it's warm! No dawdling here! :)

I agree. I think the cold helps. I can remember my little pup walking out the door of my office and peeing so fast that I could not even shut the door without hitting him. Plus I like being able to have the first hunting season at 1 year old. Keeps me from rushing things.

Sire and Dam are guide dogs on small preserve wth some field trial championships in the recent line, pretty good base, I am skeptical as to why it is the last one left, I like to have the pick of a few, I may skip this one!

Sire and Dam are guide dogs on small preserve wth some field trial championships in the recent line, pretty good base, I am skeptical as to why it is the last one left, I like to have the pick of a few, I may skip this one!

i sure would, it isn't worth the gamble........

Picking the breeding you want is much more important than the time of purchase. Like mentioned above, if picking an older or started pup, research what his past has been with socialization and training.

My best dog ever was the left over pup. So many puppy buyers pick cute over capable. If the litter was what you wanted, look at the pup. Do it with an educated eye, not with your heart.

Back