Goldens vs. Labs

Dogs that break down have nothing to do with frame size, but more a weight and conditioning issue. My 91 lb male is 11 years old and can still out hunt my 5 year old athletic 55 lb female.

I don't think that's what dustin was saying at all. I think he was referring to confirmation, more importantly functional confirmation. But I can also see where an overstandard dog would be a liability to someone like David 0311 who is hunting 50 plus days a year.

Okay, I've had Goldens since the early 70's. I've had "dual" dogs that were great and ones that were marginal. One of my worst was also the most expensive from a top name kennel and one of my best was a backyard breeding that was so homely I almost was embarrassed to show people her. Generally speaking the field trial lines are the most consistent with producing long lasting brush busting hunters. Face it , if the dog can't see and run like a blaze to the mark it doesn't get bred. If you have a big boned dog that is kept lean and in condition, it can hunt a long time. If you keep the thin "scrawny" field trial dog in good condition it will hunt just as long. The secret is lots of exercise, if you can't feel ribs it is not good. As far as dew claws, the only place I found them nice was when booting dogs in the desert. Something for the tape to hang onto. Oh the field trial lines tend to have shorter and greasier hair that is easier to get burrs out of.

Dew claws can tear in the field. I know the other side says why were they created with them. They talk about the ability of the dog to use them to run and turn quickly and get out of the water onto ice if they break through. I have found that removal is a better solution for my uses than leaving them on. You want to start another debate throw that one out on a forum!

I don't think that's what dustin was saying at all. I think he was referring to confirmation, more importantly functional confirmation. But I can also see where an overstandard dog would be a liability to someone like David 0311 who is hunting 50 plus days a year.

I hunt quite a bit more than 50 days a year, and my over standard dog can hunt sun up to sun down for 4 or 5 days straight, at 11. Had another 90 lb male back in the 80's out of Nifty Nick that was the same way. Most people who have a 90 lb dog, have an overweight dog that can and will break down. Mine are and were 90 lbs with ribs showing. Big dogs that would raise their leg and pee on the little tuckered out dogs at the end of a hunt.

I hunt quite a bit more than 50 days a year, and my over standard dog can hunt sun up to sun down for 4 or 5 days straight, at 11. Had another 90 lb male back in the 80's out of Nifty Nick that was the same way. Most people who have a 90 lb dog, have an overweight dog that can and will break down. Mine are and were 90 lbs with ribs showing. Big dogs that would raise their leg and pee on the little tuckered out dogs at the end of a hunt.

You hunt 50 days upland in an eleven week season and teach school. My apologies I take it all back.

Let me throw this at everyone as well. What are your thoughts on dew claw removal? One breeder says that they do not remove them as they can be useful to the dog? Never heard that before. Not saying it isn’t true

In England, while not illegal to remove the dew claws on pups, it is certainly not standard procedure. I would say it's pretty rare to have them removed. I have brought 2 Labs to the US from England. Both had their dew claws intact of course. I also have a 5 year old Lab bred by a US vet. The vet did not remove dew claws from the litter due to the useful/helps climb out on ice in a pond theory.

To sum up, I've hunted three Labs with dew claws over the last 16 years or so. Never had a dew claw tear or injury on any one of the three dogs. Nor have I really seen where having that dew claw made much difference during the hunt. Just one more nail to trim though :)

That's my .02.

Last edited:
Labs, are more aggressive hunters.Goldens tend to be more mellow.Ive hunted with both.

Goosemaster that is a blanket statement that does not hold true for either breed. I have hunted with labs that are very mellow and not aggressive at all. I think my goldens are pretty amped up and are very aggressive in the field and in their drive to retrieve!

Goosemaster that is a blanket statement that does not hold true for either breed. I have hunted with labs that are very mellow and not aggressive at all. I think my goldens are pretty amped up and are very aggressive in the field and in their drive to retrieve!
Thanks, Joel - good response!

Ya know..I kinda don't get all this "XXXXXXXXXXX breed is the best! The only dog to have!"

Now, I admit, I've been a Lab guy all my life. No regrets.

But looking back, I wish I had had the right place, the free time, the money and places to hunt that would have allowed me to have tried a dozen different breeds, owning multiple different breeds at one time. Too bad I don't get a "do-over"!

I love 'em all. What great companions and field partners.

Whatever breed you partner up with.....enjoy your time.

Labs, are more aggressive hunters.Goldens tend to be more mellow.Ive hunted with both.

That is not a true statement. I have hunted with several Golden's over the years. Most were dual dogs, or show dogs that hunted a little. They were bigger good looking dogs, and poor hunters by our standards. I have hunted with a couple guy's on here that run Golden's. I really liked the temperament and size of Goldenboy's dogs. Unfortunately we really can't comment on each others dogs due to the fact we didn't get into many birds, and all of our dogs were losing interest a bit. I have spent many days hunting with Johhny B's golden. He is a bit more methodical than my Lab can be at times, but is a good bird finder, with a nice retrieve that likes to hunt cover. Overall a very good bird dog. Honestly i would own one in a minute. I would stay away from any type of breeder that had any kind of show dog whether it be LAb or Golden. I had a friend that bought a dual dog out of Colorado that was a total waste of a hunter. I have also hunted with plenty of worthless labs both big and small.

That is not a true statement. I have hunted with several Golden's over the years. Most were dual dogs, or show dogs that hunted a little. They were bigger good looking dogs, and poor hunters by our standards. I have hunted with a couple guy's on here that run Golden's. I really liked the temperament and size of Goldenboy's dogs. Unfortunately we really can't comment on each others dogs due to the fact we didn't get into many birds, and all of our dogs were losing interest a bit. I have spent many days hunting with Johhny B's golden. He is a bit more methodical than my Lab can be at times, but is a good bird finder, with a nice retrieve that likes to hunt cover. Overall a very good bird dog. Honestly i would own one in a minute. I would stay away from any type of breeder that had any kind of show dog whether it be LAb or Golden. I had a friend that bought a dual dog out of Colorado that was a total waste of a hunter. I have also hunted with plenty of worthless labs both big and small.

Thanks for the kind words, Tom.

Back