Goldens vs. Labs

JDR

As someone who’s had & hunted over labs his whole life, what are some differences between a lab as opposed to a Golden in the field? Leaning heavily towards a Golden pup this time.

Harder to find a good hunting golden line I think. But I’ve hunted over one and she’s similar to a good lab in finding, flushing and retrieving. In this case, any differences between the golden and the labs have more to do with differences in training than in the breeds of dog. Biggest difference for what I’ve seen is far more post-hunt grooming with a golden! Seeing her at the end of a muddy hunt or if there’s been any amount of burrs in the cover is enough to convince me to stick with labs!
Cheers,
Dave

Harder to find a good hunting golden line I think. But I’ve hunted over one and she’s similar to a good lab in finding, flushing and retrieving. In this case, any differences between the golden and the labs have more to do with differences in training than in the breeds of dog. Biggest difference for what I’ve seen is far more post-hunt grooming with a golden! Seeing her at the end of a muddy hunt or if there’s been any amount of burrs in the cover is enough to convince me to stick with labs!
Cheers,
Dave

Agree with all of the above. Pretty well sums it up IMO. Especially the post-hunt grooming.

If you are willing to do the research and due diligence to find the right dog and willing to give the dog its due in the post hunt every time, there's no reason not to get a good Golden if that's what you want.

Last edited:
As someone who’s had & hunted over labs his whole life, what are some differences between a lab as opposed to a Golden in the field? Leaning heavily towards a Golden pup this time.

I’m a hard core dedicated Lab guy-will probably never change—
HOWEVER—IV TRAINED HUNTED AND COMPETED AGAINST SOME GOLDENS I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO OWN ;D

As someone said just be careful-on picking a pup—avoid show none hunting lineage like the plague—same could be said for any breed including the Sainted Lab—

Now I’m going to sit back and have coffee and Wait —for someone to tell us how they-someone they know has a champion show dog -who is a fantastic hunter and retriever—

As can find its food bowl with out fail-and retrieve a tennis ball as far as your grand mother can throw it—:mad::rolleyes:

I spoke with one breeder who kept telling me about how her dogs dual show/hunting dogs & used the word “show” a little too much for me. Needless to say, it was a short conversation

I spoke with one breeder who kept telling me about how her dogs dual show/hunting dogs & used the word “show” a little too much for me. Needless to say, it was a short conversation

If one has a good line of hunting dogs,why involve them in field trials? And why the emphasis on field-trial accomplishments, when advertising their respective liters? Dunno.

If you read a pedigree some/most have various field trial accomplishments. As a hunter, this means very little (to me) as some of the trials are water-based...perhaps this appeals to the duck hunter.

Possible place to start in ones search for a dog, could be trainers in a given area. They may, at least, head you in the right direction.

Last edited:
To someone who really knows how to train a dog, breed won't matter. Most people have the ability to ruin either breed. Pick a dog that comes from titled parents and have all the health clearances. I would also want a dog that has every dog titled in the first 3 generations. Pick a breeder who actually hunts their dogs. Goldens have more hair, collect more burs.

Here is a good liter of goldens. https://www.archwindretrievers.com/upcoming-litters/

Here is another. https://www.phrgold.com/puppies

Last edited:
David0311

If one has a good line of hunting dogs,why involve them in field trials? And why the emphasis on field-trial accomplishments, when advertising their respective liters? Dunno.

If you read a pedigree some/most have various field trial accomplishments. As a hunter, this means very little (to me) as some of the trials are water-based...perhaps this appeals to the duck hunter.

Possible place to start in ones search for a dog, could be trainers in a given area. They may, at least, head you in the right direction.

I will grant there a lot of good to great hunting dogs out there-and if you’ve seen both parents work or hunted with them-your probably good-

However if you have not had that ability—
By going with a breeding that has a strong back round in field trials-you are much more likely to get a pup- -with prey drive-train ability-and marking ability-despite the breed-
The breeding that West Kansas left for you to check out looks good
Golden Boy -on this forum also do a first rate breeding program if he has a up coming litter

Okay, I will bite! Lots of good information shared so far here but no one is willing to go out on a limb. Yes I raise golden's, yes I am partial to golden's. I will say this. I love bringing my golden's out of the truck with people I have never hunted with before. Typically the conversation goes something like this: "Oh you run golden's I don't see many of them in the field." (followed by a sigh of this isn't going to be a good day of hunting!) After the hunt the conversation usually is this: "Wow, I have never seen golden's who can hunt like that. Where did you get those dogs?" I love to surprise people with what a true hunting golden can do in the field. I can send anyone a list of very happy clients who always call me when they are looking for a new hunting dog. That is the greatest marketing tool I have. But you only hunt with them for 3-4 months out of the year, the rest of the time you gotta like the dog! Nothing better than sitting down watching a boring super bowl with your loyal trusty golden at your side!

I appreciate everyone’s insight & thoughts on the subject. I’ve only ever owned & hunted labs. Mainly upland. That’s my passion. My last buddy passed away a couple years ago & ive been out of the game since then. I’m ready again. The reason I’m considering a Golden is that a friend of mine breeds Golden’s & runs them in hunt tests & they’re beautiful animals. He won’t have another litter for a year or so I’ve been doing some research. Ready to try a different breed. Really looking forward to my new pup!

I appreciate everyone’s insight & thoughts on the subject. I’ve only ever owned & hunted labs. Mainly upland. That’s my passion. My last buddy passed away a couple years ago & ive been out of the game since then. I’m ready again. The reason I’m considering a Golden is that a friend of mine breeds Golden’s & runs them in hunt tests & they’re beautiful animals. He won’t have another litter for a year or so I’ve been doing some research. Ready to try a different breed. Really looking forward to my new pup!

Where are you located? State? Perhaps some of us can help with your search...

I live in South central Indiana. I’m trying to avoid traveling across country & shipping. I found a breeder a few hours away from me & have talked to a few guys that know his kennel & have hunted behind his dogs & he’s gotten high praise from them. Think I might go with him but I’m open to suggestions

I live in South central Indiana. I’m trying to avoid traveling across country & shipping. I found a breeder a few hours away from me & have talked to a few guys that know his kennel & have hunted behind his dogs & he’s gotten high praise from them. Think I might go with him but I’m open to suggestions

Have you looked at the "Top Brass" line of Golden's? Their line of dogs have been included/used by several breeders in the Midwest. Jackie Mertens has been breeding field Golden's for a long time. She is located in the Chicago area which might be a bit of a hike for you...

Good luck in youir search.

I will add one tidbit, I had a friend who raised HUNTING goldens, and they mature to be light framed , very athletic dogs... He has passed, and his lineage lost. They were GREAT dogs.... I am a Lab guy, and would have be very happy with such well bred dogs
in Dual breedings you may end up with a MORE STOCKY specimen, which may hunt, and hunt hard, but in the end, can have have issues , with hips, and or Back,due to Carrying a large frame around in Upland situations.... I have seen in the field , and at hunt tests, Dual dogs perform well...
But you may not get the Lifespan of a dog, you could out of field breeding...

I would not let traveling deter you in buying a puppy. Worst mistake you can make in buying a dog is doing what is convenient. It is a 12 year investment, buy the best you can.

I will add one tidbit, I had a friend who raised HUNTING goldens, and they mature to be light framed , very athletic dogs... He has passed, and his lineage lost. They were GREAT dogs.... I am a Lab guy, and would have be very happy with such well bred dogs
in Dual breedings you may end up with a MORE STOCKY specimen, which may hunt, and hunt hard, but in the end, can have have issues , with hips, and or Back,due to Carrying a large frame around in Upland situations.... I have seen in the field , and at hunt tests, Dual dogs perform well...
But you may not get the Lifespan of a dog, you could out of field breeding...

Dogs that break down have nothing to do with frame size, but more a weight and conditioning issue. My 91 lb male is 11 years old and can still out hunt my 5 year old athletic 55 lb female.

I have briefly looked at Topbrass. I’ve had several recommendations about Jackie. I’m not totally against traveling to get a pup. I just don’t want to travel across country. Weekend trip....yeah.

Let me throw this at everyone as well. What are your thoughts on dew claw removal? One breeder says that they do not remove them as they can be useful to the dog? Never heard that before. Not saying it isn’t true

Let me throw this at everyone as well. What are your thoughts on dew claw removal? One breeder says that they do not remove them as they can be useful to the dog? Never heard that before. Not saying it isn’t true

You want them removed. Also I don't think I have ever bought a dog from a breeder. I buy them from trainers, hunters, and competitors who occasionally breed a litter.

Back