give them a chance.

iowa labs

This has without a doubt been brought up before (bye me:thumbsup:) but I certainly hope that some of you give the local animal shelters a good look before buying your dogs. 3 of the 4 dogs I hunt with were simply dogs that needed a home. Not to step on anyones toes but we all don't need field champions to hunt our birds do we??:cheers:

I have a friend who has 3 black labs, all rescued from a shelter. Him and his wife actually do a lot of traveling around and finding labs in shelters and trying to find homes for them. Sort of their thing. He doesn't hunt them, but they are great looking dogs. I have no doubt that if they would ever be taken to a place with birds, they would find them.

With that said....I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but here in WI, it has become a pain in the rear to adopt a dog. Background checks, interviews, applications. I think that all that run around hurts some dogs chances of finding a home.

The humane society here actually just had an entire litter of what they said were purebred English setters.

Gus, my Brittany, came from a Brit rescue organization at nine months. He's great in the uplands. We've had six great years together. For those interested in Brits, there is NBRAN (Nat'l Brittany Rescue and Adoption Network) and ABR (American Brittany Rescue). I checked out three rescue Brits and had the opportunity to put each of them in some sort of a field and fire a shotgun over them. In Gus's case, his foster master also had pen-raised chukars. We took three birds out to a field to test Gus. So just because a dog's in rescue does not mean that you can't do an evaluation. Such dog's usually cost $350.00 and have been vetted and neutered.

Last edited:
I own an adopted pointer that somehow ended up in a shelter in Korea that I just about couldn't be happier with, but I don't foresee ever going to a shelter to look for a dog. Due to the dog's prolonged stay at that shelter on an Air Force base, I was able to acquire a great deal of info on my adoptee before she came to me. I had no idea whether she'd ever point a bird -- the fact that she's pointed hundreds over the last 5 years is just a major bonus. She even got some extensive ink in the Pointing Dog Journal one time -- in fact, that message board is where I discovered that she even existed.

The acquisition of a bird dog is a lifetime commitment for me -- it won't end until one of us dies. That being the case, under ordinary circumstances, I'm going to take as many variables out of the equation as possible, and a big part of that is hard evidence of the dog's ancestors as field performers. I rolled the dice a little with the one I have and I came up a big winner, but it was a special situation and I doubt I'd get that lucky again. I'd try it if it seemed that the stars had lined up perfectly again, but I can't count on that happening.

My local shelter does a great job for our community and I always contribute to its fund-raisers and donate supplies when I can. But, barring extraordinary circumstances, it's not going to be the source of my field companions.

For those of you who go that route, God bless you, and may you and the dog have as much luck as me and my girl Kota have.

Here are a couple of "before and after" photos I like to show people. The first was taken when she was still at the Korean shelter and the second was about 2 years later.

This is a good thread.
NO!!! way is this bash on those that breed and raise quality dogs. :thumbsup:

Woody is a rescue Britt, Ateup rescued Woody I adopted Him.
Thanks again Ateup!!

Woody was like what? 8 months when I got Him.
What a NICE and happy pup.
You folks that rescue dogs, give them a chance, LOVE IT!! THANKS!!

Wayne

I agree rescue them when you can. My problem, I raise golden's. Because I have intact females they will not adopt a dog to me! I wanted to get a rescue dog for my daughter and was turned down numerous times. Nobody ever told me why until I pushed the issue and they said you cannot adopt a dog from any shelter because you are not conforming to their beliefs! I said what, because I am a conscientious breeder I am disqualified? They said yes. I said if you succeed at your mission we will no longer have dogs in one generation if they are all spayed or neutered. They then told me to just lie and say my dogs are not intact and then I can rescue a dog. I decided I value my integrity and the integrity of my kids and refused to lie on the application. I then went to a breeder, because they forced me and bought a dog.

Rescue organizations have their place. I appreciate what they do for troubled animals, but I am one person that is not allowed to adopt.

Here is a pic of Woody, "The Woodster" a 9,000 feet.
I'm gasping for air, the pups? Their good.
Star by the way, is rescue also.

And, Woodster helps with limits, :thumbsup:

Actually is mostly responsible for the limits.:cheers:

Dang Iowalabs, Singing Kumbiya already? They have you on some good pain meds dont they buddy!:cheers:;)

I agree, we all dont need field champions.

Mick, a Field Springer, came from American Brittany Rescue folks.

4-6 years old when I got him three years ago, he had apparently never hunted nor been in a house, but turned out wonderfully for me.

Worth some browsing for those in the market.

Like finding a jewel in a plowed field. :)

Dang Iowalabs, Singing Kumbiya already? They have you on some good pain meds dont they buddy!:cheers:;)

I agree, we all dont need field champions.

Yes Mary the meds are good :thumbsup:(i'm off work due to surgery). I just think it's important that members and viewers know there are ways to get into hunting with a dog in an inexpensive way that also helps a great cause.

I enjoyed the posts thanks for the pics and stories:10sign:.

The dog in my avatar is now about 12 years old. The ribbon is from his title pass for HRC finished (similar to AKC master). I ran him in HRC as he was a stray who adopted me by wandering into my yard. He is a damn fine bird dog and I still hunt him for short periods.

Steve

I'm trying to find a female JRT to adopt right now. I've also been keeping an eye on some other rescue sites, just to see what's out there.

Sadly little jacks end up at the pound regularly because people just don't understand what they're getting into. Once pup is old enough and starts digging, barking, fighting other dogs and killing cats they realise the dog portrayed on Frazier is not the dog they own and they get surrendered.:(

Last edited:
And wow to adopt a dog from overseas! :cheers:

2 of them actually.;) Adoption is much easier over there.
Yep, Jim and I miss hunting with ya. Mend up qucik and maybe we will get out yet.
How is old Bell holding up?

Sad that people fall into fads when it comes to TV dogs.
Fraziers dog had a constant job to keep it working and behaving well. They dont get that.

My big blue guy in my avatar picture is a rescue. We adopted him as a pet - found him on PetFinder "Good with other dogs, cats and likes to retrieve". We were at the dog park one day and I pulled out a Dokken dead fowl trainer that I had found earlier. He froze and his eyes got big. My wife said "It looks like you've got yourself a bird dog" ... "Ok so ... now what do I do with him?" :laugh: I actually started all of this crazy hunting nonsense because of him ... dogs, especially Weimaraners, need a job and bird dog stuff became our job. It keeps both of us out of trouble. I had never done any dog training other than the usual ... sit, stay, roll over, etc. I went to a few seminars and clinics, joined a dog club and learned as much as I could. I hadn't used my shotgun since I was a teenager, and even then, never did much more than shooting pie plates and cans. I went to a few AKC hunt tests and watched. There were some dog snobs there with fancy pedigrees and titles. I told myself "Dakota can do that" ... and we did. Dakota has an AKC Senior Hunter title, along with a WCA Shooting Dog and Novice Retrieving Dog title. We are working on AKC Master Hunter ... he does it in training, but we just haven't been able to pull it off in front of judges. Dakota is never happier than when we are out chasing roosters in Nebraska, Kansas or Colorado. I will just say that I have learned a lot about bird dog training in the last 4 years, but he has made me look really good. One gentleman came up to me and said "Chuck, you may do this the rest of your life and have many well bred bird dogs, but you will probably never have another dog as fine as Dakota." :)

:cheers:

6529618211_32479cd0f3.jpg

I love this thread. I keep a close eye on the Great Plains Pointer Rescue site, it seems like they have some really nice dogs come through. When I'm ready to expand my pack, I'm definitely going to consider a them. I've got my eye on a breeder for a pup but I'm leaving that door open. I'm just thrilled with the adult GSP who was 'gifted' to me this year. Not a rescue per say but all I knew is that he was decent in the house and yes he could hunt but had not in several years. The first gunshot sent him scurrying for cover but once I bought him some birds to work with it was game on. I think he trained me! I knew I liked him but by month 4 he was one of those dogs.

and I didn't have to do the puppy thing again! ;)

old bell

Bell is doing fine at 13 I just let her do what she wants during the hunts. She was 1 year old when I got her. My brother found her for me. The guy that had her no longer had time for her or simply lost interest I'm not sure. :cheers:

I own an adopted pointer that somehow ended up in a shelter in Korea that I just about couldn't be happier with, but I don't foresee ever going to a shelter to look for a dog. Due to the dog's prolonged stay at that shelter on an Air Force base, I was able to acquire a great deal of info on my adoptee before she came to me. I had no idea whether she'd ever point a bird -- the fact that she's pointed hundreds over the last 5 years is just a major bonus. She even got some extensive ink in the Pointing Dog Journal one time -- in fact, that message board is where I discovered that she even existed.

The acquisition of a bird dog is a lifetime commitment for me -- it won't end until one of us dies. That being the case, under ordinary circumstances, I'm going to take as many variables out of the equation as possible, and a big part of that is hard evidence of the dog's ancestors as field performers. I rolled the dice a little with the one I have and I came up a big winner, but it was a special situation and I doubt I'd get that lucky again. I'd try it if it seemed that the stars had lined up perfectly again, but I can't count on that happening.

My local shelter does a great job for our community and I always contribute to its fund-raisers and donate supplies when I can. But, barring extraordinary circumstances, it's not going to be the source of my field companions.

For those of you who go that route, God bless you, and may you and the dog have as much luck as me and my girl Kota have.

Here are a couple of "before and after" photos I like to show people. The first was taken when she was still at the Korean shelter and the second was about 2 years later.

ditchparrot19--What base were you at over there? Was the shelter on base or off? Just wondering as I know they are trying to get more folks with family's to commit to long tours at Osan AB. Dont think they had a shelter on base when I was there though.

ditchparrot19--What base were you at over there? Was the shelter on base or off? Just wondering as I know they are trying to get more folks with family's to commit to long tours at Osan AB. Dont think they had a shelter on base when I was there though.

I've never been in that country, but the AFB the dog was at was indeed Osan. From the courtesy and competence of the people I dealt with, I'd have to rate the shelter they have now as superb (sight unseen, of course).

The dog came to me as accompanied baggage with an American teacher (also a shelter volunteer) who was returning to the U.S. for the summer. The dog could fly that way for $100, which the soldier who'd rescued her off the streets of Seoul footed the bill for. All I had to do was drive to the San Francisco airport and pick up the dog.

It was far and away the best tank of gas I've ever burned up.

Back