Franchi Instinct SL vs. CZ Redhead

kenobi_fan

I'd like to replace my pheasant gun this season. For the last 7-8 years I've carried a stoeger condor o/u 12 ga 28" barrel and loved it. It's just a little too heavy and I'd like to get something nicer. I've been looking at the 12 ga 28" Franchi Instinct SL. I like the weight, fit and finish, fiber optic sight, and extended choke tubes. The other option I'm thinking about is the CZ Redhead 12 ga. I don't know a lot about it, but I like the price. Just wondering how it compares in weight and overall quality. Also does it have extractors or ejectors? I'm open to other suggestions, but keep in mind that weight is one of my biggest factors. Thanks.

I have a CZ Redhead Deluxe 12ga / 26".
I like it a lot but its not light. I can weigh it when I get home tonight if you'd like. The weight doesn't bother me at all but it might others.
It has ejectors, barrel selector and has been problem free for 5+ years.

The Redhead weights 7.7lbs and has ejectors with a 14.5 inch LOP with a stock that is cast to the right. They are more of a custom gun than the Franchi which is lazer ingraved and has more computerized manufacturing. The Redhead is made by Huglu and is built in a more old world fashion. The main difference is the cost.MSRP for the Franchi is 1349.00 :eek:and the Redhead is 926.00:D.
Yes I am partial for the CZ since they are located in KCK and they are also my employer. Another thing to consider is that CZ does alot with work with PF and DU which helps our sport.

PM me if you want more info on the CZ Redhead. I will be happy to help you.

Kick'em Up!
CZ Wingshooter

CZ is the Obrendorf the old third reich mauser factory I think. Politics be damn,they made the great square bridge M-98 mauser platform made famous for big bore, long catridges, like .375 H&H mag., .416 Rigby, and a lot of .500+ nitro express. Other smaller scale sizes for other calibers. If you can do that, they can make anything. A square bridge mauser retailed for around $1000.00 unfinished,when I was in high school, circa 1972.

That new Franchi Instinct SL looks pretty sweet. Very light weight. Which in a 12 ga. could be an issue if shooting some HV loads. Recoil could be painful. But with lighter loads it sure would be a dream to carry in the field.

The Redhead weights 7.7lbs and has ejectors with a 14.5 inch LOP with a stock that is cast to the right. They are more of a custom gun than the Franchi which is lazer ingraved and has more computerized manufacturing. The Redhead is made by Huglu and is built in a more old world fashion. The main difference is the cost.MSRP for the Franchi is 1349.00 :eek:and the Redhead is 926.00:D.
Yes I am partial for the CZ since they are located in KCK and they are also my employer. Another thing to consider is that CZ does alot with work with PF and DU which helps our sport.

PM me if you want more info on the CZ Redhead. I will be happy to help you.

Kick'em Up!
CZ Wingshooter

Thanks for the reply. What does "cast to the right" mean?

I have a CZ Redhead Deluxe 12ga / 26".
I like it a lot but its not light. I can weigh it when I get home tonight if you'd like. The weight doesn't bother me at all but it might others.
It has ejectors, barrel selector and has been problem free for 5+ years.

Mine is 7.8 lbs

CZ also has an excellent rep as far as standing behind their products. I have 3: 28 & 20 Bobwhites & 12 CZ Hammer Coach. Bought the 20 used; had a sear/safety problem & CZ fixed it, no charge, only shipping. Service like that is hard to find.

Here is the technical discription.

The terms 'cast-off' and 'cast-on' are also used to describe stock configuration. Simply put, they refer to the deviation of the butt away from the center line of the gun. A gun with no cast is straight. A line down the center of the barrel will continue straight down the center of the butt stock, as viewed from above. With cast-off, the center of the butt is moved in the direction of the shoulder of the shooter. The opposite is true of cast-on, the butt deviating toward the center of the shooter's chest. The diagram at left shows cast-off in a right handed gun, by the amount between the arrows. Neither cast-off or cast-on are commonly built into guns, these days, and cast-on has always been fairly rare. The purpose of both is simply to make it easier to align the eye with the sights. Just as the height of the comb helps align the eye with the sights in a vertical direction, up and down, cast can make it easier to line the eye up in a side to side direction. A knowledgeable stock builder can use cast to cure alignment problems for people with particularly wide or narrow faces, for example.

It good unless you are a lefty:eek:

Thanks,

Kick'em Up!

Franchi For Sure

Buy the Franchi. Divide the cost by the next 20 years of bird hunting with it and it's not much. You won't miss the money after a week or two and you will just love the Franchi. With the CZ you are right back into a heavy gun.

Lock and Load! :D

Buy the Franchi. Divide the cost by the next 20 years of bird hunting with it and it's not much. You won't miss the money after a week or two and you will just love the Franchi. With the CZ you are right back into a heavy gun.

Lock and Load! :D

I agree. I think the Franchi SL is a really nice gun. I have had a chance to shoot and they're nice guns. Lightweight (slightly under 7 lbs I believe). Good feel. Very nice O/U for the money. For hunting, I think it is a nice gun. If you do a lot of trap, with the light weight, recoil may be much. The L version is heavier if you were going to do more trap shooting. I would like to get an SL for grouse and occasionally pheasant. Still prefer the Maxus for pheasant.

Did buy a Franchi Instinct SL in the 20 gauge this fall. Took about a month to find one. I was able to find the L but the SLs seemed to go very quickly. Sales rep said the SLs go as quick as they put them on the floor. At any rate...nice gun. Certainly nothing you would use for heavy trap shooting but occasional ok. Really a hunting gun....I used primarily for grouse late fall. Light gun...specs are around 5.5 but I would say maybe 6 (will weigh it). Quality is decent for the price with nice wood on stock. Very little recoil. Overall pleased with the Franchi thus far.

I have a 20ga CZ redhead deluxe. Very nice gun for the money but maybe a touch on the heavy side. I also have a 28ga ringneck and love the fact you can get a true gauge specific frame from CZ in this price category. I wish my ringneck had the redheads wood as the wood on the deluxe is much nicer.

You might want to look for a used Beretta O/U. You may be able to get one without expanding your price range very much. The CZ U mention is too heavy and the Franchi is too light in weight for 12 with the loads most people use on pheasant.

You might want to look for a used Beretta O/U. You may be able to get one without expanding your price range very much. The CZ U mention is too heavy and the Franchi is too light in weight for 12 with the loads most people use on pheasant.

I agree. I think the Franchi SL is a really nice gun. I have had a chance to shoot and they're nice guns. Lightweight (slightly under 7 lbs I believe). Good feel. Very nice O/U for the money. For hunting, I think it is a nice gun. If you do a lot of trap, with the light weight, recoil may be much. The L version is heavier if you were going to do more trap shooting. I would like to get an SL for grouse and occasionally pheasant. Still prefer the Maxus for pheasant.

Yup even the L is not heavy. I weighed my Instinct L which is a 2014 production, only had it for 1-2 months and it weighs just a sliver under 7lbs. For me that is very light. I'm used to my 1964 1100 for upland and using heavy guns from buddies for duck and geese. I looked at the Franchi and CZ and found the Franchi to be a better gun IMO. I choose the Franchi and am still super excited about it.

Beretta

In my opinion and that is what this is, I would definitely move up to a Beretta in 12 over the mentioned guns, you won't regret it. I like the browning's in 16 and 20, the new 725 in 12 is nice but looks a lot like a Beretta. Also you can get a Winchester 101 brand new at the top of that price range which I also feel is a step up from those guns. I'm heavy on Browning Citoris in 16 gauge, I could be twisted to sell one if a guy was really interested and promised to shoot a lot of birds and tuck it in at night :) Check this out http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=431500549 these guys have good prices on most firearms.

Last edited:
How about the CZ Upland Ultralight. Def wont break the bank and their website says it weights in around 6lbs. I also have heard that CZ has great customer service.

Maybe Kick them Up could chime in and let you know if these guns also have cast built into them.

Back