First Time to SD

The economy might keep some of the "average Joe's" away, but there are plenty of well-heeled hunters that come no matter what. It will be interesting to find out. Of course, even in questionable times of low bird counts or weather-related problems, the SD GF&P always predicts the best hunting ever.

The economy might keep some of the "average Joe's" away, but there are plenty of well-heeled hunters that come no matter what. It will be interesting to find out. Of course, even in questionable times of low bird counts or weather-related problems, the SD GF&P always predicts the best hunting ever.

I think it is just the opposite CRP. It seems that the outfitters that have catered to the top end hunter like corparations and those seeking all inclusive have really been hit hard by cancellations since the economy went ton the dumper. I believe the average joe is coming hell or high water.

We have grown in numbers every year since we started.

It will be interesting what GFP predicts this year but their bird count system is still the most scientific one out there yet it never tells the whole story. They have a lot of pressure on them to "bring hunters in".

i think you guys will see both type, class of hunters diminish this year, not wishing bad attendance on any one's state, but when outfitter's peak out at 200-300+ a day fee to provide lodging and a 3 bird day limit, well, value is a word that comes to my mind.....if you have a good deal of discretionary income, you still might find value and prestige in telling your buddies you dropped 1200 or 1500 hundred on a SD pheasant hunt, but for many others, (those not so well heeled) fighting over public ground, after making a long drive, sometimes does not equate to value....it just depends. it depends on the number of birds available, access and distance, especially if driving from other states, with dogs, etc. the point i am making is to have access to hunt SD almost requires paying a trespass fee, which is not a bad or unfair thing, unless you don't get to see many birds on top of that and have no true opportunity to shoot a limit, everyday.....i have been down that road and didn't enjoy the trip.

as for giving a rosy forecast, SD is not the only state prone to do that...it seldom is ever as good as anyone sez it is..

hunter94 you hit it square on the head. I live in SD, and its getting tough to find a place to hunt (other than WIA's etc). For the past several years, the non-residents have outnumbered resident hunters by a large margin. Its tough to watch our so-called "hunting heritage" be taken over by the dollar.
Several kids come through the hunter safety classes every year but have no place to hunt. If dad/uncle/grandfather etc. does not have a place for them to hunt anymore, they find something else to do. Lots of fomer hunters are now selling their guns/gear due to these conditions, which is sad.

I too have been in the local cafe's listening to the disgruntled out-of-state hunters that spent good money/vacation time to come up to SD to hunt only to find few (if any) birds on the public/WIA's. They would love to hunt the good private land, but like most folks don't feel that they can justify the $50-$100+ a bird cost to "play".

well, darn it, i don't want anyone to think i am picking on SD, but that is pretty much as i see it too, especially for the guys who live there and like to hunt, it is almost a curse....weird how that works out.

i grew up in Nebraska and now live in Texas and for me going to Kansas is the best bang for my buck. over a million acres of walk in and quail as a bonus, yes it gets hunted pretty hard, but available land is there for the asking and you can still knock on doors and get on with no trespass fee, so all in all, you have to hunt hard, but you won't be driving around, looking for a place to hunt.

I lived in Wichita from 1980-1993 and only hunted deer in the Flinthills a few times and around Belloit/Glasgow once. While deer hunting there were a few birds around Glen Elder, but most of the bird hunters all went out west to Quinter/Grainfield/Goodland etc.

Never did shoot a quail either, but going back to KS for both sounds like a great idea.

Last edited:
I have been going to SD for the last 3 years and only did the 'public' thing for all but the very last day I was there last year. I have hunted on bird farms before but found that to not be as enjoyful as hunting wild birds. The last day I hunted in SD was at a private farm. I think a good mix of the two makes for a very rewarding experience. The amount of birds I saw at the farm far outweighed the public experience. However, if I only went to the farm I would not appreciate it as much.

For public land, the best thing that I found was find an area that has everything a bird needs. Nesting cover, Food, and hardcore shelter. When I found those 3 in one area I cleaned up. This site is full of very experienced hunters and I learned a great deal the last 3 years reading on it, now after spending some time in the field I figured I'd contribute a little.

First Time in SD

Again the discussion and exchange of information on this site is excellent. My group mostly younger have hunted in the Britt Iowa for the past 15 years now and have made it a nice guys opening weekend tradition for us. It has turned into something we have looked forward to each year. The last two have been much more about the very young and watching them. You can't help but to be caught up in their excitement. It's contagious.

Part of wanting to hunt in South Dakota has evolved from conversations after the days of hunting are finished and we are out having something to eat. Don't misunderstand my point. There are some great places to hunt around the Britt area. We just have always wanted to try SD. Three of us decided we are going to try like heck to find a good place to hunt and the youngsters all decided they wanted to go with us. So, here we are. We have been lucky enough to have someone send me a note to try a place they have in SD. Maybe it will turn out to be someplace our group will return to each year. I have been getting some messages about Kansas also. I have to say they do sound interesting. My contact has been very accommodating and helpful. I think this may work out.

Please don't stop with the suggestions. I appreciate the intelligent information, experiences, and for-site.

New to SD hunting...

Have read your introduction message and can relate to your situation - finding hunting land in SD.

Have hunted SD for 15 years and noticed to shift to pay-to-hunt. This started in the Winner area and is now state-wide.

If you aren't interested in paying, I would suggest hunting the state after Thanksgiving into December. The weather can be a bit iffy, but private land can become available. The downside is competing with deer hunters for places to hunt.

The farther you travel from major towns the easier it is to find land. And you can negotiate fees late in the year as the demand isn't as great.

Good luck and good hunting.

jon

+1 for December. Yes, there is likely snow on the ground. Yes, it might even be COLD. However, the birds are bunched up, there is very little pressure, and most of the locals are home watching football. It can be very rewarding.

The cold and the snow don't bother us very much here in the upper Mississippi River Valley. I know the wind is a constant out there but we are very excited about our trip out. When I see the excitement in my 12 year olds eyes and hear it in his voice I can't help but get excited too. We're looking forward to looking around some while we are out there to look at habitat and enjoy the birds.

I'm very happy Iowa has finally caught on to what South Dakota and others have been doing over the years to improve their bird numbers and revenue for their states. We have a long way to go and need lots more support to begin to learn from our mistakes.

The Farmers, South Dakota Fish and Game and PF Chapters have done a good job with your program. I don't want to forget Kansas, they too have done a great job.

We're looking forward to coming out.:)

Have read your introduction message and can relate to your situation - finding hunting land in SD.

Have hunted SD for 15 years and noticed to shift to pay-to-hunt. This started in the Winner area and is now state-wide.

If you aren't interested in paying, I would suggest hunting the state after Thanksgiving into December. The weather can be a bit iffy, but private land can become available. The downside is competing with deer hunters for places to hunt.

The farther you travel from major towns the easier it is to find land. And you can negotiate fees late in the year as the demand isn't as great.

Good luck and good hunting.

jon
Great advise.
bobby g:)

If you are going to try public land don't come to the Winner area. There is very little public land. The pheasant numbers in the area are amazing but it is all private land. If you want to hunt Winner you either have to know someone or pay. If you love pheasant hunting though and have a little extra money you won't regret it.

Bob,
I've read your note (third time) on my thread and the advice is good. We have found someone willing to let us hunt for $130.00 a gun. We're going with that. I agree with your information regarding the quality of the hunting, it makes sense.
Ric

Wirehairs,

We are going to try the Aberdeen area it sound like things should be good for everyone in our group. We have a mixed bag of ages but it should be fun. We want the younger ones to experience this s it's important to give them a good time the first time out. You know start a family tradition and keep our young people enjoying as much as possible.

Alot of good suggestions. I'll share my experience. We have been coming to SD for about 10 years. Almost exclusively hunt the publics. Come both early in the season and late in the season. Success varies. Like one of the prior posters, do alot of scouting and get to know the areas. We have hunted most parts of the state at one time or another. We have had times where we have had limits early in the day, hunted all day for a limit, and everything in between including a bagel for birds shot. We have always, however, had a great time. In the great majority of hunts, I have usually always had an opportunity to shoot a limit during the day. Sad to say, I am not the best shooter and maybe hit 40-50% (sometimes more, sometimes less). In terms of hunters, you will find lots of competition for spots to hunt. Nevertheless, I have usually found most hunters to be very respectful of others. Maybe I have just been lucky but it has been rare when hunting a smaller or mid size parcel where I have had other hunters push there way in to hunt the same parcel. Likewise, when I see other hunters hunting a parcel, I usually just keep driving down the road and go hunt somewhere else. The exception might be a very large tract of land but usually that can support more than one party. So as one suggested, do your scouting, work hard, and you will see your share of birds hunting the publics.

Touche' niceshot! I go out annually and meet up with my bro-in-law who is a resident. When we can't get on private land we do the map/public land thing. Some successful...some not so much. Make sure you have room on the credit card for lots of gas, you will find yourself driving around a lot trying to make a decision on where to hunt with everyone having a different opinion. Bad thing is, once you feel like you are figuring it out, its time to go home. Good thing is, there are a ton of birds and you're sure to get some. If you don't have the connection, I would try to line up a guide service. You are going to spend a considerable amount of cash just getting there and being able to legally shoot a rooster. Make it a successful family vaca the first year and takes notes, maybe make some connections and be able to be more independent next year. Depending on how you define a successful trip, you are in gods country with family and bird dogs. I call that a no lose situation. Good luck!

I went to SD for the first time last year. We had a small advantage of areas to try b/c of a friend of my dads who has been hunting in SD for several years. We hunted the third week os Dec. and it was hard to get on the birds. They would bust out of gun range consistently. We were fortunate to find a farmer that would let us hunt and we limited out. My only problem is having to pay to hunt. Most were charging 150 a gun a day. To me, I would be better off going to Kansas ( which is a lot shorter drive for me) and paying 350 for 3 days to hunt on a preserve where I can kill roosters and hens and the limit does not matter. If paying 50.00 per bird is ok with you then by all means go for it. For me I did like a lot of these other guys said and drove from public area to public area. In Dec. though there were not very many hunters out at all.

First Time in SD

WOW.....lots of great thoughts and suggestions. It sure is nice to hear the thoughts from people that have "been there, done that". A few things I would have never thought about until it was almost to late.

My twelve year old son has been reading through this whole site and your suggestions since we discovered it. I have my own "Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Walter Cronkite". I get nightly reports and that's OK. I wish I could keep him on this site all the time.

The closest thing I had to social networking when I was young was the "Party Line" of 6 families on our phone line on the farm!

Lots of great reading. Thank You all!

I went to SD for the first time last year. We had a small advantage of areas to try b/c of a friend of my dads who has been hunting in SD for several years. We hunted the third week os Dec. and it was hard to get on the birds. They would bust out of gun range consistently. We were fortunate to find a farmer that would let us hunt and we limited out. My only problem is having to pay to hunt. Most were charging 150 a gun a day. To me, I would be better off going to Kansas ( which is a lot shorter drive for me) and paying 350 for 3 days to hunt on a preserve where I can kill roosters and hens and the limit does not matter. If paying 50.00 per bird is ok with you then by all means go for it. For me I did like a lot of these other guys said and drove from public area to public area. In Dec. though there were not very many hunters out at all.

you don't have to pay to hunt in Kansas.......:)

Back