• SD-1225

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Sport Basic G3

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenobi_fan

Hello everyone,

I've been looking around the forum for a month now and I finally decided to join. Everyone seems very helpful so I thought you might want to give me some advice on my first e collar purchase.

First some background. I live and hunt in Central Illinois from Nov. 1 to February, and I can get into some pretty nasty weather so I need something that is waterproof. I generally hunt in smaller CRP ground, so I don't need a huge range, and I only have one dog. This is my first year hunting with my new dog, Kolby a 14 month GSP.

I have narrowed it down to these three choices, and I'm leaning towards the SD-1225 because of the extra range and the price. Any other suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Sport Dog SD-800 $156

Sport Dog SD-1225 $210

Tri Tronics Sport Basic G3 $220

Last edited:
Go with the Tritronics. You will not regret it. Their Customer Service is top notch, 1/2 mile range is more then enough.

just my .02

I have had both, and prefer the Tritronics.

Don't overlook the Dogtra Element 300M or the Dogtra 280 NCP Platinum.

The 280 is a few bucks more but probably worth it. Retail on both units is what you are looking to spend. If you would decided to go with Dogtra contact FCSpringer on this site as he is a dealer and can save you some money.

Dogtra or TriTronics are the only way to go. I've owned both and they are excellent. I've had Dogtra for the past 8 years and never had one problem.

Thanks guys, If range is not a big deal then I'm leaning towards the tritronics sport basic g3. The Dogtra 280 NCP platinum looks like a great unit. Is it comparable to the tritronics in overall feel and value or is it more of an economy brand? How well does it hold up to water and snow? Also, I noticed the element 300m said for smaller dogs, so I wonder if it would work well for a good size german shorthair?

Also, I noticed that you can add multiple dogs to the tritronics. Is it possible to add more dogs to the dogtra models or are they single dog only?

Thanks guys, If range is not a big deal then I'm leaning towards the tritronics sport basic g3. The Dogtra 280 NCP platinum looks like a great unit. Is it comparable to the tritronics in overall feel and value or is it more of an economy brand? How well does it hold up to water and snow? Also, I noticed the element 300m said for smaller dogs, so I wonder if it would work well for a good size german shorthair?

Dogtra is not an economy brand. Same quality as TriTronics. I had the Dogtra 200 which was the predecessor to the 280. Water and snow were no problem. My buddy used it on his large Golden Retriever and it but the dog on it's butt so a GSP should be no problem.

The Dogtra 280 is a single dog only unit. The 282 has two collars.

Thanks Dakotazeb. My buddy is checking on one he found, that is lightly used, to figure out what brand and model it is. I'll post a price and description once he gets me some more info. Otherwise I'll probably end up with the 280 or sport basic g3. I'm really split between those two right now.

Tri-tronics for me. I've had other brands and I just feel like tri-tronics is more rugged and durable. Very easy to use and very reliable. Just my two cents.

I perfer Dogtra i've had other didn't care for sportdog didn't last, my Dogtra's take a beating and keep going, I have a entry level for my ESS and a beeper trainer for my ES both keep going and battery seems to last a long time.

Tritronics, i loved my G3,i have the sportdog 1825 now, it works well but i dought its the quality of the Tritronics

I like the Tri Tronics G3. It's been a great unit and have had no problems what so ever. The battery life for the hand held unit and the E colar are great. The hand held unit is easy to use with or with out gloves.

Not really responsive to your question, but I prefer Dogtra and got a new one dog unit with vibrate, nick, steady, and adjustable current on the internet for about $180. It's dandy.

I used to have a SportDog model and was disappointed. I now have a Dogtra 280 NCP and like it much better. Have heard nothing but positive about TriTronics, but don't have any personal experience....

I've been looking at dogtra also. What model did you get? And where?

I don't recall either. I bought it two years ago. It is a one dog with vibrate, nick, steady current, and a dial to adjust the current level. I just shopped around the internet and bought the cheapest, about $180.

Skip any Dogtra product. I have had nothing but problems with mine. It has been sent back twice now for total replacement. I bought it because I like the vibrate feature. Bad mistake.

I will go with a Tri-tronics next time.

Skip any Dogtra product. I have had nothing but problems with mine. It has been sent back twice now for total replacement. I bought it because I like the vibrate feature. Bad mistake.

I will go with a Tri-tronics next time.

You can get a bad unit with any brand. I've had both Dogtra and TriTronics and I would rate them equal. Never had a problem with either. I've been running Dogtra for the past 8 years and not one issue.

I have a Tri-Tronics Field 70 which is about 12-14 years old and works great, I think the G-3 model replaced it but mine is still functioning fine. A couple years ago I snagged the original rather long transmitter antennae while walking rows in a standing SD cornfield and lost it, called TT for a replacement, and they sent me a new smaller antennae-no charge. I think I may have replaced batteries 1 or 2 times. I charge it for 14 hours the 1st of every month year round as originally instructed and would recomment TT to anyone.

You can get a bad unit with any brand. I've had both Dogtra and TriTronics and I would rate them equal. Never had a problem with either. I've been running Dogtra for the past 8 years and not one issue.

I really like the unit when it works, but I am on my 3rd full replacement (transmitter, both collars, and all batteries).

Back