First chick sighting

haymaker

I saw the first pheasant chick of the year for me today, it was big enough to fly. Everything is so tall it will be difficult to see them. We start cutting alfalfa tomorrow so that will tell me something.

Finally, I was beginning to think they had taken the year off. I am heading to farm tomorrow to spend 3 days clipping weeds in new CRP. Will be nice and toasty for them. Hope to see some except not in front of mower.....:(

Good eye Haymaker. I have not seen any yet, but for some reason I usually do not until the 4th of July here in the far east. Saw a good number of birds from here to Pierre on my fishing trip last week, and there was almost always a rooster crowing somewhere on the bank when we were fishing, either side nort of Pierre.
4 baby wood ducks walked thru my backyard yesterday. Hope they found their mom!

Thanks for the updates guys! Please keep them coming:thumbsup: The way things are going it could be a decent year in SD! Let's keep our fingers crossed and make a few prayers for the best:cheers:

The weather for next 10 days is perfect. 80's during day and 60's at night. Lots of bugs and pretty dry right now for 10 day forecast.

My gut tells me 20 % of nests have hatched and so 80 % of hens still on nests or in process of renesting.

I also believe the usual peak hatch date of June 15 is pushed back by at least 2 weeks this year.

The weather for next 10 days is perfect. 80's during day and 60's at night. Lots of bugs and pretty dry right now for 10 day forecast.

My gut tells me 20 % of nests have hatched and so 80 % of hens still on nests or in process of renesting.

I also believe the usual peak hatch date of June 15 is pushed back by at least 2 weeks this year.

Agreed. The roosters are still crowing heavy and you just do not see the hens.

Weather holds for you guy's and it is going to be hard finding a place to hunt this fall!!:D

I can't speak for elswhere in the state but with the low humidity the chicks may sruggle to find dew. We are not there yet, but damper air or an inch of rain would be a good thing around here.

I can't speak for elswhere in the state but with the low humidity the chicks may sruggle to find dew. We are not there yet, but damper air or an inch of rain would be a good thing around here.

How are the pot-holes out your way Haymaker?

The small ones are drying up. The corn is starting to show stress. It is a whole different deal than last year, but the air is getting drier. Great vegitation though but the mosquitos are less than a couple of weeks ago.

only saw two sets

Was kind of bummed out, only saw two sets one hen had 6 little ping pong ball size little ones and the other only had one. It's drying out in Clark County too.

Was kind of bummed out, only saw two sets one hen had 6 little ping pong ball size little ones and the other only had one. It's drying out in Clark County too.

It looks like you guys got some rain last night/early this morning:thumbsup:. Hopefully this helped the drying situation out a bit!!!

Back