Filson Tin Pants???

Birdog

Gents - anyone have experience with Filson single tin pants? I was considering a pair for chasing pheasants in SD. How do a pair of these pants perform vs the regular denim pants with cordura on the thighs?

Pros/Cons...any input appreciated

Last edited:
I have used them for the past 8 years and love them. They are heavier and pretty stiff. They can also heat up on a hot day, and make sure you wear under armor or something similiar underneath them. You wont get wet in them and no stick tights, which is wonderful when your watching the rest of the party sit there and pick them off. I have yet to find a briar patch or thorn that can cut them. Usually the only reason I have to replace them is when I dont get high enough over a fence and catch them on barbed wire. I would absolutely recommend them to anyone that hunts more then once or twice in a season.

Tim pants and Tin Chaps - hot

Greetings:

Here's my take on heavy pants: too hot, except for snow or cold weather. I don't have the pants, but wear the chaps with long underwear and hunting pants, when it's cold and snow.

If the sun is shining and it's 50 deg. they would be hot to wear. Regular hunting pants seem to shed the briar's and are a bit lighter. Cabala's has a pant that's water proof and sheds the burrs. Might be a good choice.

jon

jonnyB,
I tried those pants from Cabela's for one hunt. They seemed like they would work great, I ran into a hidden strand of barbwire and ripped them from knee to crotch. They took them back but didnt have my size so went back to filson. I do agree with you they can get pretty warm and have cussed them before in hot weather. But I'm a creature of habit and I will take the good with the bad.

I've been wearing them for about 10 years now. They're briar-busters for sure. They also keep you warm and dry but as others have mentioned, they can be a little warm on those "Indian Summer" like fall days.

Gents - anyone have experience with Filson single tin pants? I was considering a pair for chasing pheasants in SD. How do a pair of these pants perform vs the regular denim pants with cordura on the thighs?

I've been wearing the Wrangler demin jeans with the cordura facing and the prickles on the thistles go right through. Makes for some very uncomfortable walking after a while. I would recommend the Filson's or another lighter weight pair of chaps.

They are extremely comfortable and nothing pokes through them.

They are a little hot on warmer days.

They are not 100% waterproof.

I think it is good to have a pair of chaps and a pair of lighter weight pants.

They are great if you need the protection for crashing through briars but they weigh a ton & will wear you out stepping over logs & such. They get clammy when you sweat & are miserable to put on in the morning unless you're wearing long johns of some kind. They also make a sound exactly like a flushing bird when a branch scrapes off them.

They are very durable though. I use mine mostly for brush cutting & logging work now and have found other materials better for most upland hunting.

Since I began wearing the Tin Chaps, I've had no need for long johns (regardless of the temperature).

They are great if you need the protection for crashing through briars but they weigh a ton & will wear you out stepping over logs & such. They get clammy when you sweat & are miserable to put on in the morning unless you're wearing long johns of some kind. They also make a sound exactly like a flushing bird when a branch scrapes off them.

They are very durable though. I use mine mostly for brush cutting & logging work now and have found other materials better for most upland hunting.

My sentiments exactly. Mine are strictly relagated to Dec/Jan wood cutting. I like them for that use. They are bomber.

For hunting though, anything above 30 deg and they're just too hot. Even below 30 they're too heavy. Not to mention, the cuffs quickly fray. Zero breathability.

Give me a pair of hiking pants (i.e. LL Bean Guide Pants) and a pair of chaps (I'm partial to Orvis') and I'm much happier. Add some heavy weight wool long underwear and I'm good to go down to the teens. Colder than that, and I will add a Patagonia R1 insulating layer.

Love Filson for around the farm, but not when I'm going to be hiking mile after mile.

If you are hunting in a blizzard, good choice. Other than outright blizzard conditions, poor choice. Tin cloth was designed for loggers, not hunters.

Last edited:
My sentiments exactly, If you need survival gear, it's the best, but over-designed for bird hunting. I will pass on that She-Safari gear for women is the same. Bought a pair of pants for my wife, she wore them once and altered a pair of my summer weights!

thanks

thanks gents...appreciate the input. Sounds like they are too hot for the early season hunting I do.

Next question...do you guys prefer the Filson chaps over denim jeans when hunting heavy, ruff cover? Or are they too heavy/hot?

Better than denim jeans, yes. IMHO, there are just better options out there for hunting. For wood cutting, love em. Though I do wish they had a zippered leg.

I like these.
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=84X8

I picked up a back up pair off ebay for $43.

My only complaint, the zippers tend to work their way up a few inches, leaving the bottom of my pants exposed. I had a sewing shop put a snap on the bottom of them and now I'm completely happy with them.

I have a pair of the Lion Country Supply lightweight chaps and they're nice too. I think they're a little cooler, but they don't do a good job of keeping you dry in really heavy dew.

Tin chaps - hot

I think we agree on the tin chaps retaining heat...very uncomfortable.

Just found chaps at Cabala's - very light weight-100% nylon. Plan to wear them over the lightest khaki pant I can find. Obviously this for 45 degree day's , little wind or rain.

Rain and or snow present an entirely different clothing challenge: rain gear, gaiters and several combinations of pants and long underwear depending on temperature, deep snow et al.

I wear hiking boots rather than hunting - lighter weight. With them I use the short gaiter under my pants to keep out the seeds and grass. i wear this combo well into the fall, except in deep snow - then the knee- gaiter is used.

Good hunting.

jon

The better choice from Filson for hunting is their Shelter cloth rather than the tin cloth. Lighter, more flexible, not as hot but still spendy. I've taken to wearing $20 Carhart reinforced duck work pans and love them. Roomy, durable and thorns and thistles don't get too me, plus when my fat butt can't get over a barbed wire fence and I tear then to hell, I get another for $20.

Tin pants???

The only time I wear tin-type chaps is in very cold weather, over my hunting pants with gaiters under both. Otherwise the faced hunting pants work well to about 35 degrees. When it's 40-50 I bring out light cotton khakis, and very light chaps.

That's my outfit, of course fashion first!
jon

I've had a pair of Tin Cloth chaps for about 7 years now... I love them. Nothing can penetrate through those bad boys. After I washed them a few times, I started spraying them down with a couple coats of camp dry, rather than re-applying the paste Filson provided.

I think they're comfortable, but like others stated, they usually don't make the trip opening weekend - it's just too hot. Instead, I normally opt for a pair of Carhartt bibs.

I love mine.Once broke in they are the best. will last a long time:10sign:

:thumbsup::10sign::cheers:
I have used them for the past 8 years and love them. They are heavier and pretty stiff. They can also heat up on a hot day, and make sure you wear under armor or something similiar underneath them. You wont get wet in them and no stick tights, which is wonderful when your watching the rest of the party sit there and pick them off. I have yet to find a briar patch or thorn that can cut them. Usually the only reason I have to replace them is when I dont get high enough over a fence and catch them on barbed wire. I would absolutely recommend them to anyone that hunts more then once or twice in a season.

Back