Favorite shot size for pheasant?

Votes: 8 11.9%

Votes: 33 49.3%

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • #7 1/2

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters

terrym

All right, so far we polled favorite barrel length and gauge. Now let's see what everybody prefers for shot size?

#7.5

I switched from 6s to 5s this year based on the advice of this board and am much happier with the results. However I hunt with flushing dogs and 30 yards is the average shot. If I had pointers I might go smaller.

I can't believe that 6s and 7 1/2 have the same amount of votes. I have killed pen raised birds with 7 1/2 trap loads but I would think on wild birds you would want a bigger shot size.

I shoot 3/4 or 1oz (depending on which gun) of 7 1/2s through my cyl choke and 6s through my Ic all season. Most of the birds I shot this year fell on the first shot so I voted 7 1/2s and no I didn't lose any roosters this year. I cheated though because I was shooting win super X pheasants this year @1300fps.:eek: I guess I do shoot mags.:D

Last edited:
I can't believe that 6s and 7 1/2 have the same amount of votes. I have killed pen raised birds with 7 1/2 trap loads but I would think on wild birds you would want a bigger shot size.

alot of guys that hunt areas that have both pheasant and quail like the 7.5s or 6s.

I'm also kind of surprised at people using 7.5 shot? But then again it must be effective if they continue to use it.

Believe it or not, 3" 20ga 1.25oz 7-1/2 is one of my favorite 20 ga loadings. Killed lots of birds with those.

Believe it or not, 3" 20ga 1.25oz 7-1/2 is one of my favorite 20 ga loadings. Killed lots of birds with those.

If more people would pattern 7 1/2s they would see their usefulness, especially in a sub gauage. A good hunting load, not cheap trap loads, with chilled shot and all that good stuff is an excellent pheasant load. Those Super X 7 1/2s through my cyl choke throws a beautiful pattern out to 30yds that no pheasant could fly through.:cheers:

Good point on the pheasant and quail mix bag option for some guys. And reading some of the posts I think some of you may be opening my eyes that the 12 gauge is by far not the only option for upland hunting haha.

I voted for 6's. For all around loads for pheasant. I hunt quail and pheasants, I actually use 7 1/2's in the Fiochi "golden pheasant" nickel platted 1 3/8th ounces of shot, I believe. I shoot close range over pointers, use modified, 12ga. I also used 7's in british high antimony, high base, and really like those shells too.

Here's an interesting comparison between a #5 (lead) and #7.5.

#5 shell is .120 in diameter; #7.5 is .095 - not much difference.

#5 shell (1.25oz.) has 212 pellets; #7.5 (1.25) has 437. For some reason more pellets in the pattern seem to work better for me...

I shot birds with everything from wingmaster hd bb's-some fiocchi loaded 7.5's this year. They all worked and I didn't lose a pheasant but once they were feeling pressure and got to that next level of wild 4's or 5's and sometimes 3 inch loads (12 gauge) got the nod and I believe it makes a difference.

Our 3 year old drahthaar was at a whole different level this year when it comes to finding birds and that doesn't hurt.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting comparison between a #5 (lead) and #7.5.

#5 shell is .120 in diameter; #7.5 is .095 - not much difference.

#5 shell (1.25oz.) has 212 pellets; #7.5 (1.25) has 437. For some reason more pellets in the pattern seem to work better for me...

i have killed a bunch of roosters with the 7.5 winchester brand shooting 1350 ft per second it drills them but i voted for #5 stictly for phez

In 56 years of pheasnt hunting I have probably killed more pheasants with #6 shot than anything else. I've used a lot of #5's also but personally can't tell much difference. But then I'm mostly shooting over pointing dogs. I'm sure 7.5's would work great for me also I just wouldn't like picking that many pellets out of the bird. 4's I've never been real fond of, not enough pellets and I think 5's and 6's pattern better than 4's. Too many holes in the pattern with 4's for the bird to fly through. But, this is all from my person experience. Everyone has a different opinion. :)

I voted for 5's, but use way more 6's than 5's. Most of the areas I hunt have as many quail as phes. 6's seem to be a happy medium. Although when you shoot nothing but 16 gauge does it really matter?....LOL

Back