Eurasian Collared Dove

mnmthunting

Banned
Anybody hunt Eurasian Collared Doves? Their expanding their range in North America very rapidly.
I saw my first in Malta MT 3 years ago, just a few. Now all up and down the Milk River there are thousands of them. They have invaded all towns in MT as far as I know. They thrive within the protection of the residences and the trees. The Eurasains also do well along wooded river and creek bottoms.

Anyway, talking of "high volume shooting". in MT there is no season and no limits on the Eurasian Doves. I shot a couple dozen last Fall in a short time, (enough for me) They are some bigger then the Mourning Dove, fly the same and cook up the same, just a bigger chunk of meat.

Eurasian Doves raise several broods of 2 per year even into cold weather.

So far they don't seem to compete with the native Mourning Doves, We'll see?
Maybe filling the void left over from the extinction of the Passenger Pigeon?
Apparently many similarities between the two species.

Last edited:
Yes We hunt them all year long. No limit and no season on them here in AZ.

Yes they nest up to three time a year. I have a pair nesting right now in my front yard. I shot my 1st 3 years ago, during early dove season. This year and last year they are all over the place.

They like to nest around people, I've been told. :)

They stay all year too, even in cold climate. I have them all year long in South Dakota

Yup, The Eurasians seem to stay where the food is. Up North the Mourning Doves, where they breed and raise their young are gone South with the first frost.

we shoot them everytime we catch them outside the city limits or with a pellet gun of the tv antenna where they roost they stay year long and there is no limit or season on them here

I have not seen many of them around Manhattan yet. But I have seen them in other areas of the state.

I saw the first ones I have seen here, in Ray County, Missouri scratching around on a small town street. Look bigger and had a black patch across the neck at a distance, perceptively different than a mourning dove. I hunted around the town but never saw any out where you could shoot them. Gives us all sizes, big rock pigeons, collared doves, and the lightning mourners. As apposed to Starlings, house sparrows, and blackbirds, I say welcome!

I have not seen the Eurasian Doves in this part of MN.
They do seem to be smart enough to know, town is safety.
I was hunting Huns south of Malta, saw large bunches of doves feeding in a cut Sunflower field. Flying to a stock pond then back to feeding. I went back to the truck, grabbed a box of low base 7 1/2 shot. Got 24 Eurasians. :)
Guess I couldn't find the 25th.:confused:;)
It was fun, that was all the Dove I needed that day.:cheers:

I have not seen the Eurasian Doves in this part of MN.
They do seem to be smart enough to know, town is safety.
I was hunting Huns south of Malta, saw large bunches of doves feeding in a cut Sunflower field. Flying to a stock pond then back to feeding. I went back to the truck, grabbed a box of low base 7 1/2 shot. Got 24 Eurasians. :)
Guess I couldn't find the 25th.:confused:;)
It was fun, that was all the Dove I needed that day.:cheers:

24 with a box of shells? Thats some fine shooting.:cheers:

24 with a box of shells? Thats some fine shooting.:cheers:

When they come into water it's easy shooting. Leaving the water is a bit trickier. :eek:

100_1260.jpg

Do you mean these little beggars. Had up to 14 at the feeders.

I like the way they laugh when they land and they have a nice song as well. I must have 30 that roost in the pines around my house, they're nice to have around.:thumbsup:

I think the Eurasians are OK. Seem a bit tame:eek:

They are (I'm thinking) going to get quite plentiful. Shoot a few to eat if You like. :thumbsup:
When they come to water they seem to kinda float:cool: Most of You could not miss all that often.:cheers:

Good way to use up some shotgun shells.:eek:

Back