Essential Gear

stevebrooks

Hi All!

I'm looking for some advice on essential upland hunting gear. I've got the dog and the shotgun, but need to know what else I need - the essentials.

Thanks!

A good pair of waterproof, well broke in boots is at the top of the list.

Quail hound is right about the boots for sure, shells, a good knife perhaps a nice scissors, a good hat, I like some kind of shooting glasses to wear

simple first aid kit and plenty of water for the dog. If your in the grouse woods up a compass is a handy tool to have as well.

Some type of brush pants or chaps. I personally like chaps as I can wear them over any pair of pants. Also an upland coat or vest. I've got a wingworks strap vest that I love. You can wear anything under it and carry all the water, shells and other misc. stuff you need. As you start out you'll always find ways to improve upon your particular setup. Some of it is trial and error.

Second the first aid kit & the ability to carry water. My pup comes first. I'm old, so all my boots are well-broken-in lol.

The first aid kit is critical IMO. I have found that a skin stapler is worth its weight in gold in reduced vet bills.

The other items that I now consider essential is a Garmin Astro or Alpha.
I want my dogs to get our there and hunt. But the cover we hunt in, is thick enough that you can't always see a dog on point. Beepers are too loud and I think they damage a dogs hearing. But the Garmin is great, and I don't put my dogs on the ground without them anymore.

A good quality vest, one that "holds" shells, not a cheapy that spills shells out of the pockets every time you bend down or has cheap loops that wear out in the first year. The cheap vests cost way more in the long run, IMO.I like the Columbia vests but there are plenty of quality vest out there; room for birds, extra clothes, water bottle, etc.

A razor, steri-strips, tape & bandage, and EMT Gel/Spray are also indispensable as are Benadryl & Imodium. Tweezers & tick-removal implements (I like Tick Twisters) are also included.

Very good advice from everyone!
The only things I can add are good socks under those good boots and a pair of gloves, I always carry rag-wool fingerless with a mit flap...easy to shoot with and keep your hands warm even when wet.

Chaps

If you go the chaps route don't make the same mistake that I did. I got Filsons with no snaps or zippers and getting them off after a full day is like skinning a catfish. 40 bucks a leg to install zippers or 120 bucks for the new ones. I gotta just keep taking my boots off. Not fun in December.

1. Vest with game bag for warm to fair days
2. Field coat with game bag for cool to cold days
3. Light weight brush pants, on the roomy side
4. Long underwear
5. Uninsulated boots
6. Insulated boots
7. Blaze orange cap or hat
8. Gloves
9. Sunglasses for snowy or bright days
10. Shooting (or safety) glasses w/yellow lenses for overcast days
11. Game shears
12. Bourbon

Last edited:
A good quality vest, one that "holds" shells, not a cheapy that spills shells out of the pockets every time you bend down or has cheap loops that wear out in the first year. The cheap vests cost way more in the long run, IMO.I like the Columbia vests but there are plenty of quality vest out there; room for birds, extra clothes, water bottle, etc.

do your best to buy what YOU want, not always what your buddy has or recommends. buy the best quality you can, as mentioned above, buying a cheap vest or whatever, will cost more in the long run. look on this forum, craigslist, ebay, and others to find nice used gear at a fraction of new prices. google is your friend, do some research first and take your time finding what you want.

Emergeny Vet info for the area you are hunting.:thumbsup: Found out the hard way once when my britt Ellie ripped most of her tongue out on a barbed wire fence in SD:eek::eek:. I have to drive thru the night with her in my lap to get to a qualified vet to do oral reattachment surgery. She lived but I learned a valuable lesson that day for sure!

Also suggest saline solution to rinse seeds from eye's and to clean wounds.
dog vest are hand too for thin coated dogs. Cordura for warm days and neoprene for cold wet environts.

Emergeny Vet info for the area you are hunting.:thumbsup: Found out the hard way once when my britt Ellie ripped most of her tongue out on a barbed wire fence in SD:eek::eek:. I have to drive thru the night with her in my lap to get to a qualified vet to do oral reattachment surgery. She lived but I learned a valuable lesson that day for sure!

Also suggest saline solution to rinse seeds from eye's and to clean wounds.
dog vest are hand too for thin coated dogs. Cordura for warm days and neoprene for cold wet environts.

That made my stomach churn just a bit...

I'll also second a protective vest for the dog. I'm a firm believer in the Skid Plate.

Back