Essential Gear

Gear

Maybe a little overkill but I carry two heavy 18 inch zip ties for the conibear trap, 25 ft of 1/4 poly rope for dog on thin ice scenario, and a wire cutters for snare and barb wire. Came within a second of losing my dog to a trap last year and got a little paranoid I guess. Hardly any added weight, though. All light stuff.

I never step into the woods or field wo/ a Leatherman (or eq) tool of some kind on my belt. Its a rare day that that thing isn't used for something.

NB

Maybe a little overkill but I carry two heavy 18 inch zip ties for the conibear trap, 25 ft of 1/4 poly rope for dog on thin ice scenario, and a wire cutters for snare and barb wire. Came within a second of losing my dog to a trap last year and got a little paranoid I guess. Hardly any added weight, though. All light stuff.

That makes a lot of sense, and like you say, they are light.

For decades now, shoulder strap game/gear bag. (Think baggy purse :) )

In a two-a-day state, it's big enough for two pheasants or three wood ducks, or couple of mallards, shells in the bottom, old bread bags to sleeve the birds. Water bottle for dog/me. Leash. Whistle. Steel comb for thistle. Gloves in or out, as necessary.

Weather in Wisconsin varies enough that I dress for the temperature, and sling the bag over my shoulder, across my chest. From light jacket to thick down, easy access to gear without trying to "layer" clothes under hunting coat.

Have one for waterfowl...steel shot in it; one for pheasants with lead.

Last edited:
Good point on the lead. I always have a short leash snapped on my belt.

First Aid Kit (stapler), Water, Shells, Gun, Upland Shotgun Sling, in that order. That way if I end up with a gun in my hands, everything else is always there! My wing works however, is filled with everything else people have mentioned and I seem to be a heavy packer so the WW vest fits the bill. Other vests fall short in distributing the weight to the hips

Back