Downsized Vehicle

Dakotazeb

I've been driving Ford Expeditions for 17 years and before that I had Ford Explorers for 10 years. I'm thinking of downsizing from the Expedition as I no longer need all the room (1 dog), don't go off road and don't tow anything anymore. I really don't want an Explorer and have been thinking of something the size of a Ford Edge. I think a vehicle the size of a Ford Escape might be too small. As you can probably tell I'm a Ford guy but I would consider a GM product. I don't need a 3rd seat as my wife drives a Buick Enclave. What are some of you others out there driving for smaller SUV's?

Hyundai Santa Fe fits a Brittany sized kennel in the back (I know this because we went to a dealer and loaded by kennel in facing backwards and not sideways). Leaning to buying this summer ... longest warranty program, rated well. No third seat !

I also have an Expedition (on #3 since '97) and plan to keep it. Smaller vehicle is for upland day trips and maybe weekend end trips. I want the bigger truck for camping, hauling, waterfowl hunting and cast & blast trips.

While I am rather loyal to the Expedition ... I do not want another smaller Ford.

My two Britts ride shotgun, but I have the kennel for the dog left in the truck and in cased one is hurt or sprayed in the field and needs a little more confinement.

Santa Fe is in built in Alabama and is in the middle of the pack for Trucks and SUVs with % of American Parts. F-150 right by it ... Expedition & Explorer more US parts ... Escape quite a bit less... go figure. Edge - didn't see it on the 2020 list.

Honda Passport is in the top 10 for % of American parts and is also assembled in Alabama.

Top was Ford Ranger and Jeep Cherokee. Not one GM vehicle ahead of the Passport. Doesn't GM pull a lot of their parts from Mexico ??

Went to a Honda Pilot last year, also 1 dog guy, was driving a jeep grand cherokee. The jeep drove a little better on the highway, but the pilot has more room for the dog, gun etc.

I've been driving Ford Expeditions for 17 years and before that I had Ford Explorers for 10 years. I'm thinking of downsizing from the Expedition as I no longer need all the room (1 dog), don't go off road and don't tow anything anymore. I really don't want an Explorer and have been thinking of something the size of a Ford Edge. I think a vehicle the size of a Ford Escape might be too small. As you can probably tell I'm a Ford guy but I would consider a GM product. I don't need a 3rd seat as my wife drives a Buick Enclave. What are some of you others out there driving for smaller SUV's?
Thomas and I came out one year in his Toyota Rav4. We had everything we needed, one large and one small kennel plus so all our gear. The new Chevy Blazer is sharp. Have you looked at the new Bronco's? You looking at new or used? My wife has a Subaru Crosstrex which I think would work well too, good ground clearance and all wheel drive.

Thomas and I came out one year in his Toyota Rav4. We had everything we needed, one large and one small kennel plus so all our gear. The new Chevy Blazer is sharp. Have you looked at the new Bronco's? You looking at new or used? My wife has a Subaru Crosstrex which I think would work well too, good ground clearance and all wheel drive.
Looking used in the $20-25K range so the Chevy Blazer is out. The Edge just really checks all the boxes and has more space than all the other 2 seat smaller SUV's.

I can second the Sante Fe as far as ease of ownership. My wife has one, getting ready to sell it. 75,000 miles with no maintenance other than oil changes and tires. Hasn't even needed a brake job yet. The 5yr/60k bumper to bumper + 100k drivetrain warranties are comforting although we've never needed them. If you check them out, the Santa Fe Sport is a bit too small IMO. The regular one has significantly more room for more $ of course.

I have a Santa Fe as well. 2019 Ultimate 2.0 turbo. I love it but Im not so sure I would use it as an outdoor activity suv. Plenty of power but would definitely need different tires.

My cousin bought a 2015 or so used Honda CR-V. I think it has a third row seat (don't quote me, only seen his once) but the back seats fold completely flat and there was alot of room. Enough for a 6 foot guy to lay in the back. Easily fit a kennel and room to spare for gear.

Subaru makes some good vehicles too. The Outback would probably work well as well as the Forester. If I could afford a second vehicle, I would probably get an Outback for those day/weekend hunting trips and save my truck when I need to haul my boat, ATV trailer and the long hunting trips.

I bought my Tahoe new in ‘97 and just sold it last fall as it seemed like it would not be trusted to take on long trips to hunt pheasants. I bought a used Outback and took it to hunt this past season. I have to tell you it was (still is) and adjustment. The Outback fits two RuffLand intermediate SUV type kennels side by side in the back- with the back seats In the sitting position. Whatever you get, I think you will be in for an adjustment. The Outback works and I (once) was finishing a lease (my mother’s) on an Escape and drove it during my trip. It worked, too. Both vehicles were packed tight for the trip out and back. It was not bad at all once I made it to the hotel and could unload some of the gear. I did enjoy the difference in mileage compared to the Tahoe.

Wife had and loved a couple Edges and loved them—buying yet another this summer-she currently has a Pilot to small in MHO
‘Not my idea of a hunting truck-didn’t care for it overall either
Currently have expedition -going back to150 or 250 this summer for the generator option

I agree it would be an adjustment. I had a 2000 Silverado for a few years then bought a 2015 Explorer. The Explorer worked for hunting trips but it was tight when I went with 2 or more people (only 1 dog at that time). Now I'm back in a Silverado haha it just didn't work for me. But depending on how you hunt and if you pretty much hunt alone, I think any of the ones mentioned would work without as big of an adjustment.

When I took my Suburban in for routine maintenance they would usually give me a Silverado as a loaner. Once when they didn't have one available, they put me in a Traverse. I was surprised how big it was inside and how nice it drove. That was my only experience, but I was very impressed and will look further when I'm ready to replace the Suburban.

I might just have to take my wife's 2020 Buick Enclave and buy her something smaller like a used Buick Envision. A few years back she had a 2013 Cadillac SRX and she'd be interested in another with low miles.

Sounds like you a couple options. The one issue I saw with the Edge was that the second seat would need to be dropped to fit a kennel in with the door facing the back.

I bought my Tahoe new in ‘97 and just sold it last fall as it seemed like it would not be trusted to take on long trips to hunt pheasants. I bought a used Outback and took it to hunt this past season. I have to tell you it was (still is) and adjustment. The Outback fits two RuffLand intermediate SUV type kennels side by side in the back- with the back seats In the sitting position. Whatever you get, I think you will be in for an adjustment. The Outback works and I (once) was finishing a lease (my mother’s) on an Escape and drove it during my trip. It worked, too. Both vehicles were packed tight for the trip out and back. It was not bad at all once I made it to the hotel and could unload some of the gear. I did enjoy the difference in mileage compared to the Tahoe.

Agree - for overnight trips (and longer) trips my Exp will be the go to vehicle. I like the idea of a smaller SUV for day trips. Fortunate to have may options for grouse and pheasants that are just for the day ... still driving some miles though.

My wife just bought an Escape and it wouldn’t be quite enough to hunt in if there was too much weather, but I think an Edge would be just right. My folks have one and I really like it and it gets through the wintertime roads quite well. I actually took over my wife’s Saturn Vue and have parked my Expedition. No need to run it across Watertown twice a day for work, but still use it for hunting and fishing, etc.

Sounds like you a couple options. The one issue I saw with the Edge was that the second seat would need to be dropped to fit a kennel in with the door facing the back.
I don't think that's the case. I had a 2010 Edge when I had two dogs and I could fit two intermediate size kennels in the back with the rear seat up. And the newer Edge's actually have more room than my 2010 did.

The Edge just really checks all the boxes and has more space than all the other 2 seat smaller SUV's.
First off, I'm glad to hear you're a Ford guy.

We bought a vehicle primarily for my wife 2 years ago. The two vehicles we considered were the Edge and the Escape. We eventually went with the Escape but I will give you my opinion.

The Edge is about 6 inches bigger than the Escape in the back for cargo when the seats are in standard riding position. The Edge has a slightly bigger engine and weighs more, so although it has more power, it gets less mileage. They drive very similarly though. You can fit two standard size kennels in the back of both without putting the seats down.

The Edge obviously costs more. All things being equal, it was about $4 grand more. I use an F-150 as my hunting and towing vehicle so the Escape was not considered for the reasons you may need it. In your case, an Edge is probably a bit better suited. The Titanium version is awesome but it ain't cheap.

Last edited:
Had a 2011 Edge was ok but not enough room if and it wasn't all wheel drive. Was driving out of a local DNR hunting spot and it was icy slipped back down and hit a rock damaging the rear bumper and quarter panel. Got it fixed and traded it in on a Ford Explorer been happy ever since.

Back