Door knocking

You are missing the point.Im not going to agree that pay hunting is a good thing.
I think Nugent/Goosemaster just likes to state random controversial statements for the attention. You say you won't pay to hunt yet you give "gifts", using that term loosely, to the farmer. That is paying to hunt, whether you hand them cash or items it is all form of payment.

You say you won't pay to hunt yet you give "gifts", using that term loosely, to the farmer.
An old scraper, the passenger side floor mat from his '72 Ford farm truck, an IOU for a couple golf lessons out in the pasture once the snow melts. Very loosely!!

Maybe if I charge to hunt I should be licensed, fee goes to public land buying fund.
This!! I've always been personally conflicted about the CRP portion of the Farm Bill. Without it, my favorite activity in the world takes it in the shorts. But it's a giveaway program, which I can't stand. In SD, I'd say most CRP ground not enrolled in the Walk-in-Area or similar program, is in one form or another used for pay-to-hunt operations. To me, it's double-dipping on my tax dollar, but I can't fault the landowner. The Bill is bad. Something like McFarmer's suggestion (even if he wasn't serious) makes sense to me. Maybe not a license. That could turn you into a preserve & open a whole nuther can of worms. Keep preserve status & CRP separate. But maybe the enrollment agreements say something like, "A landowner with land not enrolled in a public-access program and for which payment is accepted in exchange for hunting, shall pay x% of his subsidy, with 100% of said payment going to the Walk-in-Area fund in that state." I'm guessing there's annual paperwork for the CRP. It's a simple question. Answer it, do the calculation, & submit on your honor. Should work, right? I mean, they're including every $20 bill & 6-pack of PBR GooseNuge gives them as Misc Income on their 1040. Right?
(Quite frankly, I kind of think the Bill should also say something like, "Even if you don't charge people to hunt your CRP, thou shalt, as happily as possible, receive requests to hunt it & grant permission (at your discretion) on a 1st-come-first-served basis.") (And...engineers with brown & white springers from Sioux Falls get a free pass.):p

Last edited:
This!! I've always been personally conflicted about the CRP portion of the Farm Bill. Without it, my favorite activity in the world takes it in the shorts. But it's a giveaway program, which I can't stand. In SD, I'd say most CRP ground not enrolled in the Walk-in-Area or similar program, is in one form or another used for pay-to-hunt operations.
(Quite frankly, I kind of think the Bill should also say something like, "Even if you don't charge people to hunt your CRP, thou shalt, as happily as possible, receive requests to hunt it & grant permission (at your discretion) on a 1st-come-first-served basis.")

Use of those programs, by law, states that the landowner has to allow reasonable public access to that property. I stopped into the GFP to ask about that one. They warden was really cool about it and, basically, anyone who isn't the landowner is "public", so wife, kids, etc. He also stated, as you alluded to, that those programs are going to provide the public more hunting opportunities, even if they aren't able to hunt that land.

Use of those programs, by law, states that the landowner has to allow reasonable public access to that property. I stopped into the GFP to ask about that one. They warden was really cool about it and, basically, anyone who isn't the landowner is "public", so wife, kids, etc. He also stated, as you alluded to, that those programs are going to provide the public more hunting opportunities, even if they aren't able to hunt that land.
When you say, "reasonable public access," I assume you're referring to CRP ground. I did not know that. Yes, in SD, some of it goes into the WIA, CREP, CHAP, etc. programs. But do I have reasonable access to the vast majority? Absolutely not. The highest bidder does. In my experience, that's usually the local ophthalmologist. :ROFLMAO: Maybe that's reasonable??? (n) (FWIW, this is one reason I briefly considered ophthalmology as a career path. But since I chose otherwise, it's now one reason I avoid patronizing ophthalmologists at all cost.)

Or are you saying there's a chance this scenario might be legal. My wife, kids & dog can go kick around on some CRP without asking permission, while I stand on the road & block?? :LOL:

When you say, "reasonable public access," I assume you're referring to CRP ground. I did not know that. Yes, in SD, some of it goes into the WIA, CREP, CHAP, etc. programs. But do I have reasonable access to the vast majority? Absolutely not. The highest bidder does. In my experience, that's usually the local ophthalmologist. :ROFLMAO: Maybe that's reasonable??? (n) (FWIW, this is one reason I briefly considered ophthalmology as a career path. But since I chose otherwise, it's now one reason I avoid patronizing ophthalmologists at all cost.)

Yes, CRP and any other habitat/conservation program where the landowner receives public tax dollars. I was a little incensed as there is a local guy who went to prison for tax evasion (right after video lottery came out), received a pardon when he got out and owns thousands of acres that he manages for wildlife. The sheer $$ annually of conservation subsidies he receives is staggering. I was in college when I researched some of these programs and saw that they all had an expectation of "reasonable public access". Which is just lip service to make bureaucrats and politicians happy and believe it isn't just another hand out :rolleyes:

At the same time, I have no qualms about hunting public land that abuts his property or road hunting (if I did that any more).

Opthalmology, huh? I wanted to be a lawyer, then, well, you've seen my commercial. :ROFLMAO:

No one has any right to my CRP land, I’d like to see where they do in any contract.

Maybe I‘m not understanding correctly.

I‘m serious about the fee, maybe could be tied into CRP. Yes, I agree charging for hunting CRP shouldn't happen and I believe is not allowed under the CRP contracts I have.

Very difficult to enforce. You pay to hunt this quarter and you can hunt this quarter no charge.

No one has any right to my CRP land, I’d like to see where they do in any contract.

Maybe I‘m not understanding correctly.

I‘m serious about the fee, maybe could be tied into CRP. Yes, I agree charging for hunting CRP shouldn't happen and I believe is not allowed under the CRP contracts I have.

Very difficult to enforce. You pay to hunt this quarter and you can hunt this quarter no charge.

I wasn't saying a "right", but for receipt of public dollars, there is an "expectation" of reasonable public access, which as I had mentioned, is lip service and not a demand. I don't have time to pull up the CRP legislation, but have included the SD Legislative Research Council's write up on cooperation in habitat with private landowners and their comments, which were explained to me to be modeled on the federal conservation programs. https://mylrc.sdlegislature.gov/api/Documents/122840.pdf

I‘m serious about the fee, maybe could be tied into CRP.
I like the idea. I really don't think it would have to be too complicated. And like taxes, paid to satisfy the contract/law, but on your honor. Screw up & get caught? 🤷‍♂️ Such fine lines when we start talking about individual liberty, personal property rights, government spending, doing the right thing as far as I'm concerned, etc.

I wasn't saying a "right", but for receipt of public dollars, there is an "expectation" of reasonable public access, which as I had mentioned, is lip service and not a demand. I don't have time to pull up the CRP legislation, but have included the SD Legislative Research Council's write up on cooperation in habitat with private landowners and their comments, which were explained to me to be modeled on the federal conservation programs. https://mylrc.sdlegislature.gov/api/Documents/122840.pdf
Regardless of "expectations", if you don't have permission to hunt a piece of CRP, and it is not posted as public access, you are trespassing.

What about a system where hunters check in like the walk-in program in Montana. Part of the lecense fee or another fee to gain access into those "CRP blocks" was paid by hunters and the state used that fee to offset the costs of CRP. Win/win. State doesn't have to pay the whole fee and hunters who actually use it pay the fee. If you choose to not hunt those CRP acres, then you don't need to pay that part of the license. Kind of like the new fee in SD right now. Maybe there would be enough hunters willing to pay that fee to hunt nice stands of CRP that it would pay for itself?! But what do I know I am just a simple man. Good hunting everyone. Cooler temps are here!

Like many things it depends on your perspective.

Got the money ? Pay hunting keeps the competition down. No money to spare ? Pay hunting shuts you out. Landowner ? Its yours to do as you please.

Maybe if I charge to hunt I should be licensed, fee goes to public land buying fund.
In my opinion,hunting should not be commercialized.I know there are a lot of people on this site,who pay when they hunt.I will pay with a 6 pack of pbr.

In my opinion,hunting should not be commercialized.I know there are a lot of people on this site,who pay when they hunt.I will pay with a 6 pack of pbr.

There are folks on here who hunt our farm, I’m always happy to meet people and show them our little corner of the world. I have no expectations of anyone (other than safety and courtesy) and I don’t make any promises. Other than exercise, I can promise that.

If those folks want to leave a token of appreciation in the form of something related to to their area that I might not be able to get around here, or tell me if I’m ever in their area to look them up so they can return the favor, that’s great. Again, not expected.

Leave your PBR in the truck, I can get that anywhere.

My opinion.

There are folks on here who hunt our farm, I’m always happy to meet people and show them our little corner of the world. I have no expectations of anyone (other than safety and courtesy) and I don’t make any promises. Other than exercise, I can promise that.

If those folks want to leave a token of appreciation in the form of something related to to their area that I might not be able to get around here, or tell me if I’m ever in their area to look them up so they can return the favor, that’s great. Again, not expected.

Leave your PBR in the truck, I can get that anywhere.

My opinion.
In 40 years of hunting, I have not once had a farmer turn down pbr.Not once.Last week, I gave a farmer a map of Montana. I have his Dad 2 five gallon buckets.

In 40 years of hunting, I have not once had a farmer turn down pbr.Not once.Last week, I gave a farmer a map of Montana. I have his Dad 2 five gallon buckets.
I don’t think I’d turn it down. Most rural folks are pretty polite, around here anyway. I don’t judge.

Money I turn down all the time.

Again, maybe just me.

He just cleans the crap out of the bed of his pickup & glove compartment!! Just any old thing!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
And he regularly travels w/ a 6-pk of PBR (at LEAST), so that's always an optional gift.
Jeez that's funny. Takes all types I guess.

I'm wondering this year with the china virus going around, will you guys still try door knocking? I've had good luck with it in the past for many other outdoor pursuits. And no, this won't be in the SD golden triangle where $$$ talks. I couldn't afford those hunts and it wouldn't feel right to me anyways. This is more for MN and IA.
Hey Bob, I couldn't agree more. Many years ago I hunted IA, SD and learned many lessons. IA was good, but started experiencing too many hunters and harder to get on private land. SD? Dam Bob you hit the nail right on the head! Its all about the $$$$ out there. I could not afford to pay those kind of prices......Then I thought what the hell am I doing???? There has gotta be a better way to enjoy pheasant hunting and not break the bank, or deal with a lot of other hunters. So doing some research and trying new things, now at 55 yrs old I have it dialed in!
Hunt ND, I don't even think ok breaking out the shotgun until the first part of December. Heres why, no other hunters, no crops standing and the WPA are so over looked and hardly ever hunted its a pheasant haven. Deer hunting season is over, so when you knock on a door to hunt private land I really can't remember a time that I was told no or paying any $. Ive been doing this for the past 8 yrs or so and have been having a great time and awesome hunts. So the way I look at it, keep the big $$$ down in SD and as long as you have a good dog get out to ND in late season, you won't regret it!

Back