Don't count Iowa out just yet!

A pic from Monday, the last day of the season. A miserable day weather-wise, but I saw 39 birds. Got two shots and bagged both.

Congrats, nice job finding the birds, hard work pays off. My dad and I saw a bunch of hens this year, significantly more than in the past 3 or 4. Iowa sure looks to be on the rebound. A nice winter will help. But this is the first year in a while that I am optimistic about seeing more birds next year.

I am encouraged and thrilled by your experience, I hope you are knocking on wood! My experience has been when I think I have figured out pheasants, I am due for a humbling experience soon. I am crossing my fingers for you as I type! Also hoping for a rousing Iowa comeback.

Last edited:
thats awsome..glad to hear sucessful stories from iowa.. also, how much room does your dog have in that style of box? ive been lookin into getting one like that but with two big labs i worry about their comfort

nstric- Good job on your season and great looking dog im sure he hunts even better than he looks with all of your success this year congrats! :thumbsup:

You sure it wasn't 40 birds that you saw? :)
Fairly sure. :) I journal all of my hunts, keeping track of numbers, harvest rates, weather, bird location and habits, hunting partners, dog work, land owner interests, etc. It no doubt makes me a better hunter and land steward ... and I figure I could turn it into a book some day. At minimum it serves as opportunity for reflection during the off season.

I am encouraged and thrilled by your experience, I hope you are knocking on wood! My experience has been when I think I have figured out pheasants, I am due for a humbling experience soon. I am crossing my fingers for you as I type! Also hoping for a rousing Iowa comeback.
Well said. I give thanks for the blessings bestowed upon me everyday, which includes my bird hunting experiences.

thats awsome..glad to hear sucessful stories from iowa.. also, how much room does your dog have in that style of box? ive been lookin into getting one like that but with two big labs i worry about their comfort
Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been traveling on business -- something I allow to happen once the season closes. :)

You'd have plenty of room for your labs in this style of dog box. I've actually put two dogs in each side in years passed, when in a pinch for space. Not something I'd recommend, but I share as it serves as example for the amount of room to be had. Keep in mind I desire tight quarters, as it helps keep the dogs warm during those really cold days.

And truth be told, when it's just Gunner and me hunting, he's often in the cab alongside me. :) He's a great listener ... doesn't talk back too often.

nstric- Good job on your season and great looking dog im sure he hunts even better than he looks with all of your success this year congrats! :thumbsup:
Thank you.

Gunner and I had a nice year, particularly when considering all of the dire reports of Iowa's declining population. There's a lot of truth to what's been written, and as volunteer for PF I support the good land stewardship work we all champion, but birds were still available to be had for those willing to put in the time and work.

We saw well over 500 (all wild) birds this year, approximately half of which were roosters. My friend and I combined to shoot and bag 89 roosters over Gunner, all the while being very conscious of ethical shots and always very purposefully leaving roosters in each field we left. We've a system of sustainability in place that I believe has played a significant role in providing opportunity year after year.

Here's to wishing each of you enjoyed the Iowa upland season as much as Gunner and I did. :thumbsup:

Back