Don't count Iowa out just yet!

i made it out today walked around in a crp field hope to get a pheasant out of there before storm came in got 0..so then i went into the woods looking for maybe a rabbit same resuilts... but i did see some deer... im always seeing deer when im out pheasant hunting i saw one good sized buck about a 1/2 mile from me out on a road heading north from where i was at half hr after i see this buck i saw a heard of about 7 or 8 deer looked like all does as i didnt see any racks on them

Yes, there's no doubt that Iowa's deer population is booming. Very rarely am I out and don't see any.

heading out in just a few short minutes..hope to atleast see/get a bunnie or a pheasant..gonna walk the middle part of this public hunting area.i walked the top yesterday which is crp field next to timber middle part has just about everything groves,woods plowed corn fields

no not a thing did end up seeing a nice buck and a few does...went to the bottom of this land and saw there was 2 corn fields so i worked them over pretty good they was pretty good sized fields too walked a crp that was kind of close to a creek got them deer from there they was bedding has i didnt see any of them grazing... didnt even see any rabbits either not 1 pheasant

Went out with my son and walked a couple fields this afternoon. Saw aobut 8-9 rooosters. Only had one shot and go this one.

He looks thrilled. Awesome. What region are you in jchristen?

Alan, that's how it's been for me down here too. The worst part is I've seen them running away from me and all sorts of tracks, they just don't want to get up down here when they have about 500 acres or more I believe of solid cover, even in the snow.

Went out with my son and walked a couple fields this afternoon. Saw aobut 8-9 rooosters. Only had one shot and go this one.

Nice work on the rooster!

I too took my 6 year old son out last week, on Thursday, and we hunted two short draws. The first erupted with what was a good mix of roosters-to-hens, probably about 20 to 25 birds in all. Two within range, two shots, two retrieves by Gunner.

Figured two was enough so we headed home. My son noticed some nice grass in a road ditch and suggested Gunner and I walk it. I complied, appreciating his participation in the hunt.

Gunner and I get out and work the ditch south into the wind. 20 seconds in he locks up solid. Picture perfect as he was on point in very little cover, fully exposed. Somewhat surprised I step in, flush a lone rooster that swings to my two-o-clock, catching the wind. One shot, one bird down. Gunner jumps through the barbed wire fence and retrieves the still alive bird to hand.

A limit of birds in very short order (< 5 minutes of field time), with my son guiding me on the last. Couldn't have been better. :)

Must be getting harder Nate you needed two dogs this time:D:coolpics:
Uguide got scared of all the chickens in Ia and had to move to SD ha ha ha:D

Must be getting harder Nate you needed two dogs this time:D:coolpics:

Ha! The setter hasn't yet figured things out, but we're working with him. His owner, my buddy, said he pointed 3 hens yesterday. Things may be on the up-and-up for him.

They are some awesome birds! What a great picture. I will have to wait until next year for another chance. Nice job.

Figured them out today, via persistence.

Saw 0 birds at the first field. Saw 0 birds at the second field. Saw 0 birds at the third field (a mile long draw, up and back).

Fourth field; Gunner goes on point and around 20 birds flush. Two shots, two down. Knew at least 6-8 more roosters were in the bunch so I felt comfortable taking one more.

Less than 30 seconds after we started working them, Gunner goes on point and .... BANG! ... BANG! ... missed! Couldn't believe it. Worked edges back to the truck and got 2 more hens and the final rooster up. Didn't miss this one, which happened to be a longer and more difficult shot. Figures.

Anyhow, just Gunner and me hunting today, so we were done with our 3. Nice day.

Back