Dog Troubles

Amos, since you are new to dog training I would highly recommend that you find a trainer in your area to work with. It would be the best thing for both you and your dog. You have spent money purchasing the dog and will spend a lot more over his lifetime. Spend some more right now and get the dog properly trained. You will thank yourself in the future, I guaranty it!

Amos, since you are new to dog training I would highly recommend that you find a trainer in your area to work with. It would be the best thing for both you and your dog. You have spent money purchasing the dog and will spend a lot more over his lifetime. Spend some more right now and get the dog properly trained. You will thank yourself in the future, I guaranty it!

good idea!

also this will show the trainer if the pup is biting him or how hes reacting to the trainer. he then can know what the problem is.

How old was he when he was taken from his litter if it was before ten weeks your in from serious socialization skills in the future. good luck. Socialize him as much as possible.

You beat me to it! I read this entire thread looking for that bit of information. I'm guessing 7 weeks or less.

Some good advice has been given.

At 11 weeks he is still a very young pup and the mouthing while normal needs to be to be kept in check. IF he's getting a little too aggressive then gently grab his snout with your hand saying "NO" and hold till he calms. If that doesn't work gently roll him over on his back and hold him down till he calms. Don't give in and keep him flipped over till he calms down. He will learn he is powerless and the only way he is going to get back up is to lay quietly. This is the way you are exerting your dominance over him, which he needs to learn at an early stage. Do this each time he gets too crazy.

I also wouldn't be trying to get him to fully comply with healing at this point. He is still just a baby and his attention span is going to be short so don't expect miracles at this stage. Think of it as trying to teach High school academics to a toddler (not ready yet). Keep your sessions short and fun.

Last edited:
Common practice has been to take pup home at 8 weeks old for who knows how long. Just recently have we learned its better to leave pup with littermates and mom till 10 weeks old. I know its better but that doesn't make or break a dog. The best, most sociable dog I've ever had was a pitbull I brought home at 4 weeks old after mom quit feeding the pups.

The whole when you take them home thing gets complicated, but in general I don't see anything to worry about with pups taken at 8 weeks if they come from a good breeder with good environment. 7 Weeks is getting iffy and 6 weeks is even more of a problem...they go through a lot of socialization learning at that age and if they are pulled away from mom and the other pups they are more likely to treat you, your wife, kids etc. as a pup in the litter. If you watch pups in a litter they are constantly harassing each other, testing each other, play fighting, etc.

However I don't see this behavior as being all that abnormal particularly since it seems it may have been supported here.

It's pretty simple as others have said--don't hit the pup, don't yell at the pup, don't think that some magic lead or collar or cord work will help (it may but that can come later with a pup as young as this)--just don't support the behavior! They really want to play and be with you. When they learn that doesn't happen if they bite, jump on you etc. things start to improve in short order.

This goes for the whole family, so if kids are involved--if you can't trust them to do exactly as you say--they should not be with the pup unless you are right there with them to supervise. Dollars to donuts your kids have not helped you in this situation if they have been playing with the pup.

I've done a number of things. Having something they can chew on safely around all the time helps sometimes especially if they are teething, the little tike can't be blamed for wanting to mouth something then. If they want to bite you, no matter how hard--saying "ouch" loudly (even if it doesn't hurt) and if they do it again, put them down and walk away works with some.

Some will still chase you and nip at your heels. If they are still real buggers I'll pick them up, hold them up in the air with their feet dangling and with no way for them to turn and bite until they settle down. NO excited talk, be calm and use a soft voice the whole time. Set them down when they settle down and sit down with them again. If they bite again, I might try hoisting them up again once more but if they keep at it, no more play for quite a while, into their kennel they go. Again with no angry actions or words, just calm and cool.

Takes a bit longer with some of the more aggressive pups, but those can be some good ones when they mature--it's worth it!

You mentioned Willow Creek--is this one of their pups?

Puppy's nip to play because that is how they play with their litter mates. When he nips, put your thumb in his mouth and push down on his tongue like you are lipping a bass and tell him no. Don't push down hard, just grab him like you would a fish. He will stop nipping you very quickly and it won't hurt him at all. It has worked on every pup I have ever tried it on.

Back