Dog tested positive for heart worms, season over:(

RoosterBuck

This is killing me, i would prefer to be sick over my dog. Plus, I am $800 lighter in the pocket because of the damn worms, but it will be worth it to have my dog back in the field next season.
He is a 2 1/2 yo english pointer and it was all coming together for him this year. He started his meds this week and it takes 4-6 weeks, in that time the doc specifically said NO HUNTING. he has to remain as calm as possible during that time. I dont know about you guys but keeping a young pointer calm is not an easy job.
Has anyone else out there had any issues with heart worm? If so, how did it turn out?

Best regards to all those that are going to take advantage of the snow this week, I wish me and Buck (dog) could be out there with you. Dont shootem all!!!!

I'll keep Buck's progress updated on this thread

Tough break.:( Hope he gets better quickly.
Good luck!
Scott

Was the dog on heartworm preventative? Lots of foxes, coyotes, around to foster a heartworm population. Medication used to amount to low dose poison, ( strychnine), over a course of time, and when the adults in the heart die, they have to be absorbed and expelled through the blood. Can be dangerous, as you said. Best Wishes for a full recovery, and a lesson to us all, even with preventative, it can happen.

Had a golden retriever back in the '90s that tested positive and was treated. He lived a long, happy life. The most difficult thing was keeping him "calm" during the recovery. It was only about 300 dollars to treat him back in '96 or so.

The way I understood it, the pieces of worms could travel to the lungs, etc.. as they broke up and dissolved. That was the reason for keeping him relatively calm.

Hope all turns out well with your dog.

My brother's pointer had hookworms last year. I had never saw a dog so sick and loose weight so fast. He is already a small dog maybe 40 lbs but all muscle when healthy but after 1 day of worms he was a bag of bones. The bloody diarrhea on the tile floor looked like a slasher film.
My gsp has been on iverheart since 7 months and at $60 a year for for life insurance in pill form I'll never complain.

That's terrible man. I hope the pup recovers. My grandparents migrated to Texas when they retired, so they get me Heartguard for a fraction of the price here in the States over in Mexico. I ALWAYS make sure to give it to her year-round.

SAD & wishin the best for your hunting partner! :(

Makes me really re-think stopping faithfully givin my dog heartworm meds since moving from the deep south to much colder/mosquito-less climes in CO...

Unforunately here in Arkansas the heartworm preventatives are losing their effectiveness. I know of at least three dogs right now who were on prevents and still came up with heartworms. Bad thing to have to deal with, had a lab in the past get them while on prevents, he was treated and hunted a few more years, glad some of you live where these pests are not found.

I have seen some different symptoms with different dogs. Most often a deep, hacking cough is one of the major symptoms. I had a lab who never coughed but would "pass out" when he got real excited, but then he would get up and be fine. I have seen other dogs that would just become tired and almost complacent to any activity. Weight loss and other symptoms associated with a sick dog can also be linked to heartworms. It is not a fun thing to deal with.

@KansasGSP

He didnt show any symptoms, i took him in for his yearly shots and went ahead and had them test. its a darn good thing i went ahead and had them do it!

Buck is responsing well, I really cant tell a difference in him as of now. Talked to doc when he called to check in on him ( his call and show of concern really impressed me) and he said from the tests it looks as if we caught it in the early stages, thank God!

Buck is loving the pampering and extra food he is getting, definetly soaking it up!

Thanks to everyone for the positive words of encouragment.

Roosterbuck,

Good point, dogs sometimes show no symptoms. Good luck with the treatment. My dog showed no long-term effects after the treatment, but it was tough on my dog.

I had a dog also that tested. She was put on Heartgaurd after the cure and was normal from then on out. All dogs should be on something 12 months a yr. Better safe than sorry. You can't tell she was ever sick. She was 90 lbs. in her prime and now at 14.5 shes 70 lbs. and shows no sign of passing
. Put the dog on a prevenitive and start workouts when it gets warmer again tobuild up the heart and lungs. Good luck.

I give the dogs Ivomec year round for heartworm and SafeGuard for the rest of the worms.

Glad you caught it before it was too late.

Rut

Hope the pup gets better, as far as the treatment, I used to work at a vet in high school and 95% of the cases we treated the animal bounced back like nothing had ever happened. Also back then some companies would pay for treatment if your animal tested positive and had been on the preventative for a year. Most required vet records saying the owner had purchased heartworm medication and was administering it properly. I don't know if they do it now, but if you have been on preventative and your dog test heartworm positive, it may be something to ask your vet about... just my .02

all my dogs are on ivermectine every 3 months wether they like it or not and also use other wormers for the other worms also

I start my dogs on interceptor at 8 wks of age. Never had a problem. I also spray my yard every month for bugs and mosquitos from spring til late fall. Once a month I clean my kennels with bleach. I also find that cedar chips for bedding elimates bugs. I don't use frontline and never had a need too.

We usually stop the heartguard in the winter months, shouldnt be any mosquitos then. Am I stupid for doing this?

We usually stop the heartguard in the winter months, shouldnt be any mosquitos then. Am I stupid for doing this?

I wouldn't say you were stupid, but there is still a possibility of your canine contracting heartworms in the winter. I'd rather err on the side of caution in this instance.

Back