Dog (Lab Specific) Question

henhenROOSTER!!!

How long on the law of fairly-reliable AVERAGES can a lab be expected to live??? :confused: My 1st one developed a notorious vagabond/runaway habit with a police/animal-shelter rap sheet a mile long, he made it to 14 before I lost him for good (ran away one time too many & didn't come back while my teenage son at the time was "watching" him for me during one of my missions trips to India)...my 2nd dog was a golden (he made it to about the same ripe old age of 13)...sold my 3rd dog (another lab) to a young friend/duck-hunter at just 3 yrs old & my current lab is now 6+ yrs old...I have heard of quite a few people lately who have lost labs at 7,8,9 yrs old even though I know of an equal number that have made it anywhere from 10-14. Also, do active working labs tend to far outlive the fat, inactive typical household variety?

Primary Reason For This Question:
The lab I currently own is from incredible & also very nostalgic bloodlines for me dating all the way back to my first dog (& is the last of the now-expired sire's direct lineage)...I'm not quite ready for a new pup at this stage of my life, but I DO NOT want to wind up waiting too long & lose the opportunity to selectively-breed him for a choice pup to carry on the lineage & memory.

Anybody got a real laid-back/easy-natured & hard-huntin female with classic lab conformity/looks & top-notch bloodlines for a possible match within the next year or two??? Gawd, I didn't know a man could get so attached to one dog - I'm already starting to hyperventilate even thinking about losing this one! :eek:
All the human loss/tragedy/crisis of late in my life has probably made me more acutely aware than normal of the canine possibility sooner than later... :(

Last edited:
i am on my 3rd lab. The first one died when he was 11. The last one had a stroke at 6 and was never the same. I finally put him down this spring at 10. I have a great one now that is 2, unfortunately it is also a male. I don't think i would wait too much longer, as one never knows.

Anything after 10 is borrowed time, I would err on the side of breeding younger, as there is some evidence of lack of vitality after a certain point, smaller litters, genetic issues not previously seen, low semen motility, higher percentage of damaged sperm, etc. Though that point this becomes an issue, is very nebulous, and some breed on for a long time, with no issues, at all. I would definitely pick a younger bitch, if I were breeding an older dog, no sense in compounding the issue. By the way, I don't consider a dog old at 6, a bitch is getting close to time to quit, at the same age, in my opinion. Just like people it's a game for the young. I should know, I'm 57, and have an 8 year old, wouldn't trade her, but sure wish I had finished all that a long time ago!

Old labs

My 12 year lab still goes for walks every day, but is no longer able to hunt. Her last hunt was two years ago. Her back legs are pretty bad, not real stable. She still has a great personality. She has been my wife's favorite. My other buddies with labs have had 9-10 years of hunting, one was lost at age nine. I cannot draw form a large sampling. So this is very anecdotal. Pups are fun and a lot of work. It is your choice on when to get a new dog.

Ruff Ruff Made it to 14 1/2.
Did dang good until the last year or so.

Here is my wifes 12 year-old Lab Jake with my GSP Taz. The guilty look is what a food thief looks like when caught...note the tongue cleaning all evidence off the muzzle...:p
Pics1005.jpg

Jim, Taz looks as if he is the "beat cop" saying out of the side of his mouth, " we got him busted this time."

Jim, Good pic! :)

I love my Labs

Mike (1968-1981), Hutch(1985-1989), Duke (1985-1995), Narco (1998-2010) and Froid (2009-)

All Black Labs, all male except Hutch.

Back