Dog Essentials.......

TheMorningRise

With the season right around the corner, I thought this may be a good thread idea. I think it can be a good asset for those who are just starting out, as well as those more seasoned, but who may have forgotten a few items.

With that said, what are the essentials that you feel one must always have on hand when in the field with your dog/s?

Water! Lots of water and leads in the field. Back in the truck; a basic first aid kit with a staple gun, ice compresses, scissors, forcecps, bandages, eye wash etc. Hydrogen peroxide to clean wounds and/or induce vomitting if needed. Dog boots just in case, could save a hunt for a dog that gets a pad injury.

All of my leads are made of paracord and there's about 50 or more feet in each of them if needed in some sort of emergency.

The rest of the junk I keep for them is probably not a necessity.

Just water and aspirin for me. A few things I've thought about adding. Gas x for bloat, Dixie cups and duck tape to stabilize an eye injury, and this year benedryl for a snake bite.

I've never thought about gas x. Coupled save a life or at least give you a little time if bloat is caught early. I had a scare with JP last season but the problem seemed to resolve in the frantic drive to the nearest E.R. My brother wasn't so lucky with Daisy, hers resulted in stomach torsion and an emergency surgery to correct it.

Hydrogen peroxide to clean wounds and/or induce vomitting if needed. .

Don't use Hydrogen Peroxide for cleaning wounds. It kills tissue and can delay healing. Use water or saline eye wash. That was the first thing my Vet told me when I asked what I should carry in my dog's first aid kit.

Tim

I carry 1.5 liter bottle of water and a small bowl in the game bag. On a warm day during a long trek my dog will drink the entire 1.5 liters in an hour or two. The bowl insures the water gets in the dog.

Last edited:
Awesome stuff so far guys!

One thing I like to see and find interesting, how gear varies from region to region. I know here in the Midwest, some things are not carried that guys did in Arizona. 95% of it is the same though.

Even as a die hard bow hunter, I am finding myself getting more and more excited about the up and coming bird seasons!

Water, doggie vests(warm and cold weather ones, blaze orange), another bottle of water with light corn syrup mixed in with it, first aid kit, suture kit, cold spray, on long trips I take some doggie pain pills in the kit just in case, food(dry and soft), bowls, gun, hat, vest, truck, ME!

Light corn syrup...have not heard of this. Please elaborate.

Thanks

Jeff is correct on the hypoglycemia part. But not why I use it. A vet that I hunt with regularly did this. It puts sugars back in the body that have been depleted. It also keeps the dogs salivating. In turn, keeping the dog's mouth shut and nose wet. He says the dogs lose heat and moisture from their mouths being open and tongues hanging out. They also do not smell as well either with their tongues hanging out. So the corn syrup mix has a few uses. He carries this mix in a 12 oz squirt bottle for 3 dogs. Can't let them drink too much of it.

Last edited:
I don't get it. How can inhibiting a dog from essentially sweating and cooling off be a good thing. A dog cools down from evaporation on the tongue and the cooling of blood flowing through the thin membranes of the ears and the stomach and flanks. Right?

I don't get it. How can inhibiting a dog from essentially sweating and cooling off be a good thing. A dog cools down from evaporation on the tongue and the cooling of blood flowing through the thin membranes of the ears and the stomach and flanks. Right?

My thought exactly. I will stay away from that practice.

It doesnt inhibit anything. It helps them regulate body temperature. They can still open their mouths if need be. They just dont have to as much. And it makes them salivate more, so they will cool off quicker if they get hot. But from experience it works. And mine dont generally get hot in the winter time. It's not a magic pill but you do notice a difference in a working dog. Plus, I didnt make it up, a vet that knows his stuff showed me this and he can probably explain it better than me. But I wouldnt knock it till you try it.

Back