Despite it all

CharBroiled

I think I'm ready
For the last 4 years, my hunting has unfortunately been limited as I've been my Mom's caretaker. Dad passed away five years ago in July of '18 and mom suddenly had a myriad of health issued come boiling up. She only had one functioning kidney and was in stage 4 of renal failure. Up to 2019, she was an un-diagnosed diabetic. Throw in the fact she broke her hip a week after dad passed which resulted in the loss of a third of her foot with macular degeneration and it worked out for me to be busy. She passed away six weeks ago.

Pheasant hunting has always been my passion since my first hunt back in 1988. I've gone a few times in the last four years, very sporadically but always with the caretaker role hanging over my head these last few seasons. However, I think Mom understood my sacrifices for her health. I do harken back to the old times, with my Dad, a family friend and me, traipsing about the Kansas countryside in an old blue Ford, as we knocked on doors to ask permission. I learned to read a plat map while we would listen to either the KU or KSU game on the radio. We had permission to hunt quite a bit of ground back in the day.

This year, the passion has been renewed thanks to a new companion. I'm writing this as my 5.5 month old GSP puppy annihilates a chew bone after a mile walk this afternoon. I don't care about the doom and gloom, Socks and I are going to put in miles this season as we both learn the ins and outs of being a team. I'm not even sure if I need to carry a gun as the joy of seeing him do things in the field has been so immense already so there is a boatload of anticipation of watching him develop into the bird dog I think he can be. (He's got the best friend thing down already.) Whether it's good, fair or bad, I can't wait to be in field with my pup.

Socks.jpg

Good luck to you. I lost my dad at 18 but he instilled in me a passion for hunting and fishing that I still have today. Every year I think of him and the things he taught me when I was young, funny I have used it many times to be successful. It has become less and less about killing and more and more about just doing it

Good luck! Sorry for your loss(es) also.

A GSP? If you're the guy I think you are, I've missed anything you've written before that didn't include your labs. Welcome to the pointy world!

A GSP? If you're the guy I think you are, I've missed anything you've written before that didn't include your labs. Welcome to the pointy world!

First gun dog for me. I've hunted over many GSPs including my pup's dad and grandad.

After a two year health problem, I am able to go out and see what happens.
Have some decent reports from the lo, and looks like the weather is going to be pretty good for the opening weekend.

Sorry to hear of your losses. The caretaker role is a honorable one. I hope you and the pup have many excellent days together.

The boy is picking things up. Eight months old and his honor is solid, he loves to retrieve and he's got a pretty decent nose. Of course, he's got some MPE (Mad Puppy Energy) so once in a while, recall is a battle, but the dog is pretty smart.

Back