Danner Sharptail Boots

Dakotazeb

I was wondering if anyone on this site has used the Danner Sharptail boots.
http://www.danner.com/boots/sharptailtm-ii-gtxr-8-hunting-boots.html
I'm still on my quest for a new pair of boots to fit my funky feet. The Irish Setter Tamaracks went back to Cabelas as they continued to rub my heels and then started to leak. I recently ordered a pair of Danner Big Horns but they didn't fit worth a darn. I'm currently wearing a pair of the old style danner Pronghorns that I've used the past two seasons. I might have to try the new Pronghorns but would also like to consider the Sharptails. I'm going to wait until after the season and hopefully can pick up a new pair on sale sometime.

I have worn Danner sharptail covey boots for two years, these are the ones that pull on with the gusseted rear zipper and strap across the bridge of the foot. I also wear Russell Zeypher boots. Both about 9 inch. I love them! Got to where my ankles and feet hurt with lace ups. No problem with either of these two. I probably would go with the Danners, in the cordura and leather variety, even over the Russells. Price is right, waterproof, and light to walk in, required no break-in. Russell's are harder to get on, and the water will eventually get in, even through the triple vamp, moc. Danner's also give a little better lateral support. If your climbing a lot of hills, or clamboring through deep ditches, traction on both is a little light. But for covering upland rolling terrain, they are the berries.

Dakota, I think we've got the same issue. The only hunting boots I've found are the Pronghorns that don't leave a huge blister on the back of my heel. My 5 year old ones are worn out though and new style should be under the Christmas tree for me to give a shot. Dad wore his new ones this weekend for the first time and said so far so good, he too has the old ones and was happy with them.

I went to a podiatrist a couple weeks ago to look at my heel problem. He knew what it was right off, but x-rayed it for verification. My problem is a bone spur (not a heel spur, its different) on the back of my heel. This results in a big knob (think diameter of a golf ball, but sliced about 1/3 off and put on my heel). The medical diagnosis is "Haglund's Deformity" often referred to as 'Pump Bump'. Google it, lots of info out there.

He told me I'd eventually need surgery, but for now we'd try and fight it. He sold me some 'anklets', look like women's pantyhose that have a silicone pad in the back. I put these on with the pad to cover the bump. This weekend I wore the same Irish Setter boots that tore up my heels opening weekend. Same amount of time this weekend and not a single blister. I was pleased.

They also make a tool that you can put in your boots to stetch out the problem issue, I haven't tried that yet as his was out of the office that day.

Don't discount the pull ons if you want comfort. I'm saying this sitting in the kitchen in my Russell pull on's. If you must have laceups go to Russell and hve them made to fit your feet. Cost about 400.00 last a lifetime, and you can will them to your grandson, assuming he has the same funky feet as you!

i have the danner boots you linked to. I have used them for 2 years and I really like them. Super comfy right out of the box. I don't know if they are the most durable boot on the planet but for the price they are not bad.

Obviously I need to get to a store that has these boots in stock so I can try them on. I'm tired of ordering boots over the web and having to send them back.

I'm also looking at the Danner Grouse boot.
http://www.danner.com/boots/grousetm-hunting-boots.html
A little more money but I read a ton of reviews on them and all were excellent. And they are made in the USA.

I have worn the Pronghorn,the Grouse, and the Raptor. All nice boots and would rate them in that order. The nice thing about the newer Pronghorn is the protective covering over the toes. I love the Bob sole design on the Grouse and Raptor. I also need to get a new pair. I thought the new military boot might be the ticket, but it does not have thinsulate.

I have had the sharptails for four years now. They have held up well to miles of use and are very comfortable.

The boots do not have much for tread or grip but not a big issue in the grouse woods or on the prairie.

They are not insulated but pretty roomy and can accomodate a couple layers of socks easily on cold days. I have hunted in them comfortably to -5 degrees.

They do not seem to have a lot of arch support so if this important to you I'd definately try them on first. Not a big issue for me.

My biggest complaint (and this can be said of a lot of gortex lined boots) is that they only retained a good level of water resistance for about a season and a half. I already owned a couple pairs of gortex socks and have used these on wet days which has extended the life of the boots significantly. Just stick the boots on the boot dryer at night and with the gortex socks they are ready to go the next day.

DB

A little late to this I haven't been on the site much lately, I bought a pair of those before the season, because my Pronghorns always spring a leak after half a season, so I thought I'd try the all leather uppers. The boots fit different than the Pronghorns, they seemed wider and not as comfy, not as much arch support as the Pronghorns. Don't get me wrong they are good boots, but not as easy on your feet as the old Pronghorns, and the traction isn't as good, and unlike the PHs you have to break them in. 4 out of 5

Late in the season I wear Schnee's hunter 2 boots. They are made in Bozeman and are the way to go later in the year. Plus you can send them back every couple of years to get resoled and you are back in business. They have tons of support as I also use them mule deer and elk hunting in the Salmon River breaks. Early in the season when it is hot I have a pair of Danner Roseburgs that seem to do the trick. I have tried the Pronghorns and the pair I had lasted about 3 months before they started coming apart. My 2 cents....

My biggest complaint with my Pronghorns is they leak. The started leaking after the first half of the season, just after the store warranty expired.
It's not a bad leak and this year it's been dry in the Midwest so it hasn't been an issue but they do leak.
It seems when you spend that much money they should last for a couple of years!

Call Danner you might get a new pair, if that don't work email gore-tex they might get you a new pair.

Back