D.o.g.s.

Dakotazeb

Dakota Outdoor Gundog Series (D.O.G.S.) http://www.dakotadogseries.com/

I ran across this site while surfing the web. I have participated in similar competitions but liked the format of this one because there is less emphasis on time than most others. I was wondering if anyone had run their dog in this?

Here is another organization that I know of that does this on a national scale.
http://www.nbdca.com/
My only problem I have found is that if you want to be competitive in these games you need to have dogs exclusively for the game! I competed a couple of times, was competitive, but when I asked the guys a couple of questions about how to get better they all told me stop hunting your dog on wild birds! The reason was my dog wanted to go to the cover to find birds and these birds are planted more in the open. I decided right there I probably wasn't going to continue in that game. I think something you are talking about, more on a "fun" level would be a great time.

Here is another organization that I know of that does this on a national scale.
http://www.nbdca.com/
My only problem I have found is that if you want to be competitive in these games you need to have dogs exclusively for the game! I competed a couple of times, was competitive, but when I asked the guys a couple of questions about how to get better they all told me stop hunting your dog on wild birds! The reason was my dog wanted to go to the cover to find birds and these birds are planted more in the open. I decided right there I probably wasn't going to continue in that game. I think something you are talking about, more on a "fun" level would be a great time.

D.O.G.S. is associated with the NBDCA and you have to be a member of the NBDCA to participate in their events. I don't buy what these guys are telling you about not hunting your dog on wild birds if you are going to play their game. I run my Brittany in NSTRA field trials and they are a lot more demanding and challenging than the NBDCA events. I have no problem going from field trials to hunting wild birds with my dog. She is competitive in NSTRA (one first place from her Championship) and anyone on this site that has hunted with Elle can vouch for her wild bird hunting ability. She is second to none.

I got involved in NSTRA for the fun of it and something to do in the off season. That would also be my intent with the NBDCA. However, I do have one issue with the NBDCA. It doesn't promote great dog work for a pointer. they only require a 3 second point and that's not much of a point. I'd like to try a couple of their events and seee how Elle would do. I have run her in a similar event at the Ringneck Festival in Huron, SD but their format scores too many points for time remaining.

I see the NBDCA has some events in Parkers Prairie, MN. Their next one is June 6th.

I've ran JP in a handful of NAGDA events (same exact rules). It's fun, the problem I've had is trying to get JP to run balls out right out of the gate when he's used to hunting all day long. I would run in more of them if they weren't mostly scheduled during hunting season.:eek: What goldenboy stated is true around here, the competitive guys only run their dogs in competition, doesn't mean a meat dog can't teach them how it's done once in a while though.

Elle is use to the NSTRA trials and is a rocket off the line so problem there. But I hear what you are saying about the really competitive guys only running their dogs in competition/trials. In NSTRA the guys running trials most every weekend and competing on the national stage have what I call "Professional Trial Dogs". That's all those dogs do. I doubt many of them ever are taken hunting. But that doesn't mean a combo hunting/trial dog can't do both well. The dogs learn the difference between being at a trial and going hunting. I have a friend in Williston, ND that has English Setters. He hunts them in the fall and also runs NSTRA. One of his dogs took 2nd place at a national trial last year.

Dakota Outdoor Gundog Series (D.O.G.S.) http://www.dakotadogseries.com/

I ran across this site while surfing the web. I have participated in similar competitions but liked the format of this one because there is less emphasis on time than most others. I was wondering if anyone had run their dog in this?

I've ran a couple club level "gun dog challenges". We flushed, shot, and retreived 3 chuckers to hand in 2 minutes and 38 seconds. This earned us a 3 rd place finish. If you are willing to let your flusher work at 70-90 yards while you run wide open you can be competitive. Take away the stop watch and I would still be playing.

Zeb - I think you are answering some of your own questions.

NSTRA is about each dog and their ability to garner points and possibly a champion status. Pride and accomplishment of the owner (& handler if different).

D.O.G.S. Trophies and payback will be awarded to the top 3 in each class

The Tournament Hunting Circuit is run differently with guys often traveling the circuit for trophies and cash payouts. The dog is just part of the tools needed to win - so I can see why some have dogs dedicated just to this. You have to be a darn good shot too.

There is also NATHA (North American Tournament Hunting Association).

Reminds me more of Texas Hold'em Poker Tournaments, Bass Tournaments, or Rodeo circuits. Most of it is about winning and the cash the comes with the win.

Definitely a revenue generator for hunting preserves.

My only question was if anyone on the site was running in these competitions. I am well aware of differences between NSTRA and the Gun Dog Series competitions. Like you said, NSTRA is more for pride and if you are a breeder getting a Championship on your dog so you can possibly ask more for your pups. It's also judged solely on the work of the dog. The Gun Dog competitions are more about the money. Some are truly "run and gun" competitions. But NBDCA (and D.O.G.S.) you cannot run in the field and there is a lot less emphasis and fewer points awarded for time remaining than in some of the other gun dog competitions. I think that's was Gatzby was talking about in his post and I'm in total agreement with him.

Guys, I was just wondering if anyone on the site participates in these events. Always looking for something to do with the pup in the off season. It's also interesting to see how your dog stacks up with others. The perfect field trial or gun dog competition hasn't been invented. It's all what YOU make of them. I try to not get too serious about any of them and just have fun.

Heck, we could do our own little friendly competition when some of the UPH members gather for a hunt. In fact we talked about this 2-3 years ago but it never got off the ground. I think I even wrote up some rules and guidelines for the event. Not sure I still have them. Anyone interested?

Depending on location I would be interested, have looked into NBDCA as a preserve not to far from me has hosted these events. Almost pulled the trigger and entered but work got in the way. As I have both brits and labs it would be fun to run both. Have done a few cover dog trials with my pup but when running in the open category the politics run heavy to the professionals. One trial a bracemate ran back to the starting line/parking area and just ran around, judges could still hear her bell and she ended up placing in the event, kinda soured me after that experience......but I think a UPH fun hunt would be great and fun to put faces and dogs with names.

Can't imagine dropping that much money and time (the day) for 15 minutes in the field and then hanging out with highly charged / jacked up "hunters" talking about banging 4 birds in 5 minutes.

If it sounds fun for you - try it and tell us how it went.

Can't imagine dropping that much money and time (the day) for 15 minutes in the field and then hanging out with highly charged / jacked up "hunters" talking about banging 4 birds in 5 minutes.

I hear ya. Kind of what will probably keep me away. Although it might be fun to go to one just to see how good my dog, or their dogs, really are. I might even win some money!! :D

My departed Roxy was one of the better Brittanys (certainly my best) and she passed away without a title. Every person I hunted with (brother, fellow dog owners, farmers, friends, friends of friends) said she was the best dog they had ever hunted with.

Her ability to pin and point roosters ... running ahead ... was amazing. Several times I was able to reach down and simple grab the wild rooster and let him fly away in my hands. If it dropped to the ground it was wounded and caught. If it flew ... he had the same chance as a bird flushing normally.

We could walk a public plot right after others and quickly produce birds ... this happened time and time again ... some times with the previous hunters watching as they had a snack at their vehicle.

No yelling, no whistles, no e-collar, no GPS tracking collar. As she passed the age of 6 the two of us could hunt an hour or more without ever saying a word. Often the only sounds were nature around us, a cow mooing, or my gun barking off a round or two or three and if I managed to drop it ... Good girl as the bird came back to my hand.

My current two dogs are very good pheasant dogs, but not as in tune ... probably because I just don't make the time to hunt with them as often. Hoping the fall of 2015 will change that trend.

I digress ...

I've ran a couple club level "gun dog challenges". We flushed, shot, and retreived 3 chuckers to hand in 2 minutes and 38 seconds. This earned us a 3 rd place finish. If you are willing to let your flusher work at 70-90 yards while you run wide open you can be competitive. Take away the stop watch and I would still be playing.

Kind of where I am at. Used to compete at the"Open" at Minnesota Horse and Hunt, did well on occasion. I can't run any more. They need a Senior Division. I have participated and judged some NAVHDA club competions where we set up with ' can't break stride rule.

Kind of where I am at. Used to compete at the"Open" at Minnesota Horse and Hunt, did well on occasion. I can't run any more. They need a Senior Division. I have participated and judged some NAVHDA club competions where we set up with ' can't break stride rule.

Buck, these competitions I'm talking about DO NOT allow running.

Back