CRP loss

I know UGUIDE and he, like myself, are habitat producers. Neither of us have high fences and nets over our properties, therefore, the abundance of game produced on lands that we control have no restrictions and can stay or go as they wish. I would not describe a hunt at either of our places a "canned hunt".

Um maybe I should define more what I was meaning by the word canned. Anything non-public meaning private. If public hunting gets bad people will either have to turn towards that or quit hunting. I agree there is a difference between released birds and habitat produced for wild birds but bottom line both are private hunting type arrangements.

I agree that if public hunting gets bad people will have to make choices. If there are places that provide habitat to produce wild birds one of the choices will be whether to pay for a place to hunt. If those places don't do that, there will be one less choice. I would like to think having a choice is better than not having a choice.

Gotta love the dollars spent on buying public land in MN.:thumbsup: Not a sole in many of them now. The weekend warriors are getting their ice fishing gear rounded up. Perfect time to go for the next month and a half.:thumbsup:

Um maybe I should define more what I was meaning by the word canned. Anything non-public meaning private. If public hunting gets bad people will either have to turn towards that or quit hunting. I agree there is a difference between released birds and habitat produced for wild birds but bottom line both are private hunting type arrangements.

Walk up to my door and ask to hunt and you will likely be told to go ahead--its private property for sure but to call it a CANNED HUNT --not even close--in fact that notion kind of upsets me.:mad:

Well I guess I am "canned hunt" producer. I do what I can on the farms I control, ( I own because I inherited them or bought them, and not always with the support of the family. who would have liked the spending money), I let people hunt. I also became an equity owner of a a waterfowl property, we farm a little, food plots, manipulate water, as we can, I guess it's a "canned" too! I guess so is the BLM lands which provide habitat, the state game departments who provide habitat, the game departments across the country who release pheasants into non-productive habitat to give you something to shoot. Looks to me that "canned" really means "no cost to you"! Rest of us can provide the opportunity for you as a gift. There were costs in the old days too, you took the risk of being in a remote area, and fighting indians to shoot sharptails on the plains, or braving the big water for ducks, the bad luck which left you with a broken leg where you could get out. Cost are relative, Determine what value the life style has to you, or play billiards or golf, there are lots of golf courses everywhere. Might have to up the ante.

Farmers purchasing pheasants and releasing same...this is currently the practice at some preserve sites. I believe the preserve (sites) need to release 500 roosters per season and replace those roosters that are harvested, on a one- for- one basis.

I'm not sure about other states, but believe this is the SD rule.

All this talk just makes me really appreciate where I live.:thumbsup: Rarely do I hunt public, even though there is literally thousands of acres minutes away,or across the road from my front door. I am blessed to live in a rural setting that has good neighbors, who will allow me for a simple asking, to go harvest a couple birds on their land. For this I am thankful today, this thanksgiving. Amen

They pretty much could take away quite a bit of CRP here with little affect. We have so much cover that will never be farmed it will make your head spin. This CRP loss does little around here. But It will do some damage to the areas that are just dirt.

:cheers:

It's a good thing that there are people making some $$ on pheasants. For the most part they care enough about making the $$ and having the birds that they will put extra effort into habitat. The more and better the habitat the better hen survival in bad weather. Those hens go off and produce chicks in public hunting areas.

Speaking of CRP, I hunt ranches that have never had CRP and never will have CRP. Or corn either for that matter. :) Bird hunting is purty good.:thumbsup:

Walk up to my door and ask to hunt and you will likely be told to go ahead--its private property for sure but to call it a CANNED HUNT --not even close--in fact that notion kind of upsets me.:mad:

Just got back from a 3 day outing and let me clarify more here. Private is referring to pay to hunt private land operations. It is not referring to every private landowner who is not running a commercial operation. I would have deleted this post a week ago as too many people seem to be misinterpreting things but unfortunately I don't have the power to do so.

Well I guess I am "canned hunt" producer. I do what I can on the farms I control, ( I own because I inherited them or bought them, and not always with the support of the family. who would have liked the spending money), I let people hunt. I also became an equity owner of a a waterfowl property, we farm a little, food plots, manipulate water, as we can, I guess it's a "canned" too! I guess so is the BLM lands which provide habitat, the state game departments who provide habitat, the game departments across the country who release pheasants into non-productive habitat to give you something to shoot. Looks to me that "canned" really means "no cost to you"! Rest of us can provide the opportunity for you as a gift. There were costs in the old days too, you took the risk of being in a remote area, and fighting indians to shoot sharptails on the plains, or braving the big water for ducks, the bad luck which left you with a broken leg where you could get out. Cost are relative, Determine what value the life style has to you, or play billiards or golf, there are lots of golf courses everywhere. Might have to up the ante.

Um so you are implying it is a rich mans game? The more loss of CRP the better as hunters will have to turn to your operation? NE, KS and CO G&F don't stock any birds to shoot at. Your post here is exactly why I would never pay an arrogant operation money to shoot them. I am a Pheasants Forever member and pay my share of license fees every year so there is a "cost to me" there guy.

Um so you are implying it is a rich mans game? The more loss of CRP the better as hunters will have to turn to your operation? NE, KS and CO G&F don't stock any birds to shoot at. Your post here is exactly why I would never pay an arrogant operation money to shoot them. I am a Pheasants Forever member and pay my share of license fees every year so there is a "cost to me" there guy.

I will repond because you seem to be aiming at me. I don't charge to let anyone hunt. So you can fix that in your response, I am not a shooting preserve. I spend MY capital to make sure hunting continues. I support pheasants Forever, D.U. Quail Forever, the Prairie Grouse Initative. I encourage you to do what you can. If you are a $35.00 PF member, and buy a non-resident lisence ocassionally, it will not stem the tide of what we are seeing. There is no free ride, you may have thought there was, but it is an illusion. That circumstances made have made it seem so. Now to many customers, to little resources. Hunting was never free or easy, others made sacrifices for you, or allowed you to hunt by their good graces. I don't say it's a perfect system, but it's what we have now and going forward. So get your back up and rail at the moon or reality, but if I were looking at hunting upland game, and I was a young man, based on what I have seen in the last 40 years, I would be certainly looking to secure my opportunities for wild upland hunting sooner rather than later. Buy some property, go somewhere where the have public acreage you can access, make friends with landowners, be a volunteer on habitat plans, lobby and for donations of property, and cash from those who can. Hopefully, that will assure you a place to play. Now that seems like a "cost" valuation to me, whether you pay to hunt on a lease, or do the work to make it better for others and you. I would like to grab my gun and go out the back door, holler to the birddogs, who run free, and sleep under the porch, and hunt till dark, across any acreage I have the fashion to see, like Nash Buckingham. I am about 100 years to late, sorry to say, so are you!

I will repond because you seem to be aiming at me. I don't charge to let anyone hunt. So you can fix that in your response, I am not a shooting preserve. I spend MY capital to make sure hunting continues. I support pheasants Forever, D.U. Quail Forever, the Prairie Grouse Initative. I encourage you to do what you can. If you are a $35.00 PF member, and buy a non-resident lisence ocassionally, it will not stem the tide of what we are seeing. There is no free ride, you may have thought there was, but it is an illusion. That circumstances made have made it seem so. Now to many customers, to little resources. Hunting was never free or easy, others made sacrifices for you, or allowed you to hunt by their good graces. I don't say it's a perfect system, but it's what we have now and going forward. So get your back up and rail at the moon or reality, but if I were looking at hunting upland game, and I was a young man, based on what I have seen in the last 40 years, I would be certainly looking to secure my opportunities for wild upland hunting sooner rather than later. Buy some property, go somewhere where the have public acreage you can access, make friends with landowners, be a volunteer on habitat plans, lobby and for donations of property, and cash from those who can. Hopefully, that will assure you a place to play. Now that seems like a "cost" valuation to me, whether you pay to hunt on a lease, or do the work to make it better for others and you. I would like to grab my gun and go out the back door, holler to the birddogs, who run free, and sleep under the porch, and hunt till dark, across any acreage I have the fashion to see, like Nash Buckingham. I am about 100 years to late, sorry to say, so are you!

Last edited:

Just so you know, Nebraska raised and released pheasants for shooting at Sacremento-Wilcox, until around 1983. South Dakota requires the release of pheasants from game preserves for every pheasant they harvest. Kansas had a raise and release program in the sixties, Iowa just authorized rearing and releasing birds this last legislative session. You never no if that bird is a "free wild rooster" or some pigeon flown over from a local game farm in the a few hours ago, yesterday, last week or last season.

sounds like some states are starting to look like Ohio. Im not even 30 years old and i can remember growing up and not every square inch of every field was in production. Me and my old 20 gauge single shot sprayed alot of shells at roosters. I would like to see PF start to do alot of news paper articles, and ads about the toxic algae out breaks were having and try to get more CRP enrolement. Farmers seem to rent most of their land around my area so folks are much better off having CRP. The paper work needs to be scaled back on the conservation programs also. They send you form after form to fill out.

The light went on for me this year.

There are no good and bad farmers. Only commodities markets. What's a commodity? Corn for one.

The markets drive farmer behavior. For the most part they always have and always will.

When corn is $2/bushel you will see a lot more CRP and pheasants. When corn is $8/bushel you will not see a lot of CRP and pheasants.

You think pheasant hunting is becoming a rich mans sport? At $8/bushel corn there aren't enough rich men in the hunting market to compete with $8 corn as far as habitat and pheasants are concerned.

It does not take a mathematician to figure out that the government nor the taxpayer can afford to make CRP rental payments competitive with land use for conservation as opposed to land use for producing $8 corn.

And another important element....the commodities market is ONLY concerned with the product it seeks and its prices and not the resources required to attain it or the sustainability of producing that product.

The solution is simple....convince the world to stop buying products made with corn and soybeans. No demand...no market.

Demand for corn and soybeans continues to push higher and higher than the demand for wild pheasants.

There are no good and bad farmers. Only commodities markets. What's a commodity? Corn for one.

The markets drive farmer behavior. For the most part they always have and always will.

When corn is $2/bushel you will see a lot more CRP and pheasants. When corn is $8/bushel you will not see a lot of CRP and pheasants.

You think pheasant hunting is becoming a rich mans sport? At $8/bushel corn there aren't enough rich men in the hunting market to compete with $8 corn as far as habitat and pheasants are concerned.

It does not take a mathematician to figure out that the government nor the taxpayer can afford to make CRP rental payments competitive with land use for conservation as opposed to land use for producing $8 corn.

And another important element....the commodities market is ONLY concerned with the product it seeks and its prices and not the resources required to attain it or the sustainability of producing that product.

The solution is simple....convince the world to stop buying products made with corn and soybeans. No demand...no market.

Demand for corn and soybeans continues to push higher and higher than the demand for wild pheasants.

Yes indeed the light has come on.

That was well put. If pheasants are a commodity, the price of pheasants has to be $______ per pheasant to keep the land producing pheasants. Fill in the blank any way you want to. In my opinion it probably should be $100 per pheasant to compete with crops the way they are priced now. I can buy crop insurance for crops, I can't for pheasnts.

Yep exactly Chris. Just like I said for a couple years now. History will repeat itself. Generations get old and people forget. At least till something jumps up and slaps them right in the face. That PBS show is a great watch. It was called the "Great Plow Up". Driven by commodity's back in the 30's, then Wheat at $2 and change a bushel. Huge back then. Just like 7-8$ corn now. I am seeing fields of grass that have been in since before I was born being plowed up. It will not take long, and this behavior will be right back to the dust bowl. Signs of drought are already hear. Sad thing is we know what can and will happen. Has already. Same everything, economy on the cliff, drought, great plow up, stupidity and man kind. hear we go again,LOL. Sad but nothing to do but watch, and hunt where you can. Thank God for cattails.

Yes, farming is a business. I understand the difficulty in the business, but I wonder which it just about money? You live there, I assume you like there, are we going to dust bowl ourselves into a vast wasteland and walk away, (like many of the forefathers in the 30's), and say well we can retire on the Rivera, or we had Paris? Or in our case we can go somewhere else and hunt because we already destroyed what we had here? We see that now, go to Ohio, Indiana, their coming here! a lot of us big game hunt, have to go west to do that. Don't have antelope in Iowa, heck they don't have jackrabbits in Iowa. The reality is yes the light bulb came on, we know that man is not satisfied by any level of comfort. He has an urge to have it all even if he kills himself, true of country or city populations, maybe the worst of human tendencies. You see we are the plague. A few of know the result of this because we are the supreme reasoning animal, we a despaired because we realize the bulk of us just want to keep going. So we see the future but are unable to stop the eroding till the end. Only a disaster event of "biblical proportion" will stop it. If we're lucky. We are unable to rule ourselves. It's disappointing I hoped better for us.

By the way $2.00 corn is the "biblical plague" aforementioned. I hope that there is not EDP payments at that! We are the abusers, producers, the consumers, and the hanger on enablers both suppliers and politicians.

Back