CRP loss

In the overall scheme of things, and the market prices, I understand making a fiscal decision to pull CRP out, and grow crops.. I understand the difference between getting $65 per acre cash rent on a section of pasture ground, compared to $150 or more row crop it . I understand that. What I dont understand, is the mentality of tearing out fences and groves , discing into right of ways and plowing up the old ladys 2 1/2 acreas of lawn in order to produce more grain, just because its high.. If anything, all those things shouldve been done when the commodity prices were lower, to increase income in the lean years..

I think that alot of it has to do with the producer having the money to spend now to tear those things out. Previously, they never wanted to spend the 11K needed to tear out 5a of grove or treelines. Now they do, and they are getting it done..

When a large farming operation has 3 combines, 7 semis, several 4 wheel drive tractors, a 28 row planter and a track hoe, scraper and a dozer in their equipment shed, its not going to bode well for wildlife on their acres..

Im sorry, but it just seems like greed to me..

Hell, I bought my acreage and took all the crop land out of production, and restored it back to native prairie. (without any assistance from Uncle Sam).

6 years ago, I had pheasants and deer on my acreage. I havent seen a pheasant or deer all year. Not even a frikking rubbed tree in my 10 acreas.

Im thinking about tearing it all out, and growing corn, since theres no wildlife around.:(

o & N, unfortunately it has been proven time and time again. The government is the glue and moderator between the ignorant.

Its still about markets and freedoms.

I have all my land in a no drain no ill wetland easement. This year would be perfect for me to disk all the wetlands up and get them ready to crop but I won't. Some will and actually many would.

Actually now that I think of it most all my stuff is in CRP so that would also prohibit me from tillage.

Back