Crop weed killer killing chicks?

I don’t know if roundup causes cancer, but judging by this thread, exposure to it seems to make people dumber.

Animals do not have the enzymatic site of action that glyphosate binds to and reacts with, only plants. Which is why glyphosate has no effect on humans or animals.

Secondly, RoundUp is on its way out (for agricultural use in KS) due to increasing weed resistance issues. Farmers are using less RoundUp, and more herbicides with different sites of action, as well as new cultural control techniques (i.e. cover crops, different crop varieties) to help control weeds. They heyday of glyphosate use was in the 90's, so if it had a negative impact on pheasants, it would've been evident a long time ago.

I used to raise pheasant to release. I sprayed my flight pen with round up to keep the ragweed from growing up through the netting. I never saw any harm to the chicks from it and they would have got a lot higher dose from a hand sprayer then they would in the field. Gly attacks an enzyme that animals don't have.

From what I've read exposure to some of the other solvents that are combined with glyphosate can also be unhealthy. There is supposedly also evidence that over time the use of roundup has a damaging effect on soil microbes and digestive tract microbes in various animal species which can weaken the immune system. I expect the degree to which it is used in the environment can make a difference.

From what I've read exposure to some of the other solvents that are combined with glyphosate can also be unhealthy. There is supposedly also evidence that over time the use of roundup has a damaging effect on soil microbes and digestive tract microbes in various animal species which can weaken the immune system. I expect the degree to which it is used in the environment can make a difference.

I am not a farmer and don't pretend to know much about practices. However, I did grow concerned last summer when the farmer sprayed the field directly behind my house 4 different times between June and August. He could not control weeds and kept spraying and working the ground for fall wheat. We had rabbits everywhere and by August most were all gone. We have one hanging around now but that is off from the 6 to 8 we would see every evening and morning for the last 4 years. It was planted to wheat in October so I expected to have pheasants around this spring like usual, but seems to be only one rooster hanging out this spring. The Coop sprayed excessively last summer as well right next to my property. They always wanted to spray when the wind was out of the north so it would drift directly on my garden, go figure. I got a stop put to it but really had to raise hell.

I am not a farmer and don't pretend to know much about practices. However, I did grow concerned last summer when the farmer sprayed the field directly behind my house 4 different times between June and August. He could not control weeds and kept spraying and working the ground for fall wheat. We had rabbits everywhere and by August most were all gone. We have one hanging around now but that is off from the 6 to 8 we would see every evening and morning for the last 4 years. It was planted to wheat in October so I expected to have pheasants around this spring like usual, but seems to be only one rooster hanging out this spring. The Coop sprayed excessively last summer as well right next to my property. They always wanted to spray when the wind was out of the north so it would drift directly on my garden, go figure. I got a stop put to it but really had to raise hell.

You were on here talking about the hail, bad weather ect, and how that was ruining the pheasant hatch and now it's chemical? Lol. And why you are at it show one positive post you ever made about bird numbers. To me you are the troll on here trying to keep others from coming out hunting.

Last edited:
You were on here talking about the hail, bad weather ect, and how that was ruining the pheasant hatch and now it's chemical? Lol.

Never said anything about chemicals ruining a pheasant hatch. Just stated that a farmer sprayed excessively and that shortly after that rabbits disappeared. Could have been all the owls hanging out last spring. Are you obsessed with me? Or just a troll? I see you took another jab at me on another thread.

Never said anything about chemicals ruining a pheasant hatch. Just stated that a farmer sprayed excessively and that shortly after that rabbits disappeared. Could have been all the owls hanging out last spring. Are you obsessed with me? Or just a troll? I see you took another jab at me on another thread.

I don't like you because you called me a liar whan I said I have 3000 acres of corn. You do come on here and talk the hatch down every single year. IMO it is to keep others from hunting in your area. Show me one post where you were ever positive about the hunting outlook. I have met guys like you, you want to have all the local ground to hunt on yourself, and that is why you are gloom and doom about bird numbers on here every year. As far as a troll, there are guys on here that now me and would have called me out if I am a troll. You on the other hand fit the troll name way more than I do.

Last edited:
I don't like you because you called me a liar whan I said I have 3000 acres of corn. You do come on here and talk the hatch down every single year. IMO it is to keep others from hunting in your area. Show me one post where you were ever positive about the hunting outlook. I have met guys like you, you want to have all the local ground to hunt on yourself, and that is why you are gloom and doom about bird numbers on here every year. As far as a troll, there are guys on here that now me and would have called me out if I am a troll. You on the other hand fit the troll name way more than I do.

I called you a liar after you insulted my dogs calling them robots just because I don't train or hunt the same way you do. You threw the first stone. But you probably don't remember that. I never had a conversation with you before that happened. As far as liking or disliking you, I could care less, which is why I don't respond to any of your posts. Seems like if you don't like me, you would do the same and just ignore my posts like I ignore you.

Last edited:
I called you a liar after you insulted my dogs calling them robots just because I don't train or hunt the same way you do. You threw the first stone. But you probably don't remember that. I never had a conversation with you before that happened. As far as liking or disliking you, I could care less, which is why I don't respond to any of your posts. Seems like if you don't like me, you would do the same and just ignore my posts like I ignore you.

Funny you don't respond to any of my post but here we are. I don't like hunting with dogs trained like machines. Stating that is different than calling you a liar like you did me. How does the fact I don't like your dog training methods have anything to do with how much I farm?

Funny you don't respond to any of my post but here we are. I don't like hunting with dogs trained like machines. Stating that is different than calling you a liar like you did me. How does the fact I don't like your dog training methods have anything to do with how much I farm?

Nothing better than a well trained dog and an owner that puts in the time. Golden Boy, Gatzby, FC Springer are just a few examples of quality members on this forum that love to hunt and train their dogs like myself. Robots or Machines, our dogs are some of the best hunting dogs you will find anywhere. Good luck hunting and farming this year!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing better than a well trained dog and an owner that puts in the time. Golden Boy, Gatzby, FC Springer are just a few examples of quality members on this forum that love to hunt and train their dogs like myself. Robots or Machines, our dogs are some of the best hunting dogs you will find anywhere. Good luck hunting and farming this year!!!!!!!!!![

So explain to me again why this justifies you calling me a liar? lol. Also again show me one post where you have ever said anything positive about bird numbers. You are the troll no me, you come on here to dissuade other hunters from hunting trying to keep them for your self. I know lot's of locals who are just like you are.

Last edited:
OK if I bump this thread? I'm concerned about pesticides and the bird population (let alone my health)

"Some tests carried out on Pheasants, Grey Partridges and Quails show that the eggs of the aforementioned Galliformes hatch in a considerably reduced percentage, if subject to Glyphosate action."
from: https://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=XE8264732

Glyphosate is apparently the most common pesticide in america. I read here that it's in 94% of US streams, which is pretty disturbing.

It looks like South Dakota State has been looking into whether other pesticides hurt the pheasants too. But I haven't read their results yet - https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2019...ecked-pheasants-for-neonicotinoid-pesticides/

It stands to reason that unnatural chemicals that can kill bugs wouldn't be good for any creature really, not pheasants, and not us either.

Last edited:
I know 2 fellas that should use the "Ignore" button on each other....there is a reason it is there. Just hover over the name and see what you get. Thanks

My option on the thread topic is "No".

Back