Crop weed killer killing chicks?

I've enjoyed this thread. A lot of good and interesting information. Good attitudes as well. Sometimes these types of topics turn into farmer bashing. I have no doubt that change in farming practices have affected wildlife habitat and bird populations. However, farmers have to make a living. I happen to earn my living in the technology field. I wouldn't be very successful today using the same practices and equipment that allowed someone in this field to be successful 20 or 30 years ago. Thank you all for the information provided and your perspectives.

we need reasonable farm bill content......good luck with that. never happen.

the chemical salesmen are hammering away at the producers with the advent of a greater harvest, which is most important to the farmers. environmental affects take a backseat to production.

yes, Paraquat about to take over the job Round Up can no longer do.....weeds gaining resistance.
spraying Round Up for aphids on beans will be the next problem, as this agent of control will change as well.

birds are in trouble everywhere......weather has also killed off a ton of birds in the Dak's, Montana, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebr.

Lol if anyone sprays Roundup trying to kill bugs they are going to get a surprise. It isn't an insecticide. This is a perfect example of people assuming things about glyphosate that is just plain false. You would make a good juror in California when people can claim Roundup causes cancer w/o absolutely no proof. There isn't any unbiased studies that show it to be true, including USDA.

Last edited:
If you've ever gotten any of this product on your skin, then you know what it does to a birds craw, gizzard, and gut after they go feed on grain lying in a harvested field that ha

If you've ever gotten any of this product on your skin, then you know what it does to a birds craw, gizzard, and gut after they go feed on grain lying in a harvested field that ha

Glyphosphate?. Its dry in 10 minutes. Effects on fertility I can understand that their could be an argument, chick survival maybe, but harming an adult bird that may live 10-18 months is stretching it.

I’ve gotten plenty on my skin, what was I supposed to notice ?

I worked for a large farmer in high school and college. When we weren't in the fields plant/harvesting/working ground, my main job was to run around on a four wheeler spraying Johnson grass in the field edges, around oil wells, in waterways, etc. I did take a bath in it, on more than one occasion. Mixed 4 ounces to the gallon for spot spraying, you don't even notice that it is anything other than water. Mixing up in a big sprayer for the fields you dilute it even further. Dries at the rate of water. If it rains within an hour its washed off and does no good. I'm not sure what I was supposed to notice if I'd ever got it on my skin. Both the heavily concentrated version, as well as the self-diluted version.

I have had it all over me. I had a hose on a bulk tank blow and doused me in it. I have never seen it have any effect on my skin. You have to eat more of it than table salt to kill you, caffeine has a lower lethal dosage.

I like several others on here have been bathed in roundup on several occasions. I am more likely to die of lip cancer or a car accident before I worry about glyphosate killing me. If Fsentkilr hasn’t shown any signs of this cancer I am not worried since he has been exposed to it 1000 times more than most people ever will. My math may be off a little but.......

I heard an add on the radio today from a law firm. They were soliciting clients who have been exposed to Roundup. Basically saying that many countries have banned it and that the US has turned a blind eye. They claim that even 8 hours of exposure spraying weeds can cause cancer. I had a good laugh thinking back on what I've read on this thread.

The problem is they can “claim” anything. It can’t be proven or disproven. All they need is a sympathetic jury to win the case whether Monsanto is at fault or not.

My grandma had 4 cancers over her 80+ years. The last one got her. Think we can start sone lawsuits, surely something caused it other than poor genetics right?

The problem is they can “claim” anything. It can’t be proven or disproven. All they need is a sympathetic jury to win the case whether Monsanto is at fault or not.

My grandma had 4 cancers over her 80+ years. The last one got her. Think we can start sone lawsuits, surely something caused it other than poor genetics right?

Totally agree. Monsanto was mentioned by name in the add.

The topic here was mostly about the effect of glyphosate on ground nesting bird hatches, like pheasants, quail, partridge.

Last edited:
The topic here was mostly about the effect of glyphosate on ground nesting bird hatches, like pheasants, quail, partridge.

I realize that. However, if you read through the entire thread, you'll notice several mentions of farmers being exposed and "practically bathing in" glyphosate with no ill effects.

Back