Coyotes!

duckn66

Got home from work last night. Took my uniform off and let the EP pups out to do their business and then brought them in. Sat down to watch TV for a bit and my dogs outside were going crazy barking. Grabbed the spot light and shined it out near the kennels and all be darned if their isn't a coyote not 20 ft from the pens! Then I look in the pasture to the east and another is on the edge of the yard. Both take off and I shine my light up in the neighbors feedlot and two more are running around among his cattle.

I never let my pups out without being out with them because we have had coyotes eyeballing my wifes ankle biter before too. But these coyotes definately had no good on their brains!

Tonight I will break out the rifle and if they show up I'll feed them some lead!

Do you think they would attempt to get in the pens with the dogs? Anyone ever have that happen before?

Been proven over and over they will have dog on the menue. Had them attack coon hounds before my self. You better do something about them. Get some 220's and snares and get rid of them. It will get worse before better otherwise.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I agree. If they are getting that bold time to get rid of a few. They are really thick where I am at too.

If I had pups or an ankle biter I might be concerned. An average male coyote only weighs 30lbs. They would have no reason to try and kill a 60 lb dog. My labs jump them in sloughs a couple times a year and I have never had one want to stay and fight.

If I had pups or an ankle biter I might be concerned. An average male coyote only weighs 30lbs. They would have no reason to try and kill a 60 lb dog. My labs jump them in sloughs a couple times a year and I have never had one want to stay and fight.

That may be true with one Yote. But if there is more than one they could raise heck with any dog. And if your dog got that 30 lb. Yote backed into a corner you would likely end up with some vet bills. Don't underestimate what a 30 lb Yote can do.

They are thick and everywhere. So far this year our predator district has killed 275 since the snow started falling.

That may be true with one Yote. But if there is more than one they could raise heck with any dog. And if your dog got that 30 lb. Yote backed into a corner you would likely end up with some vet bills. Don't underestimate what a 30 lb Yote can do.

So a pack of coyotes are going to come in my yard and attack my dogs because why? I would be more worried about them getting into it with a stray tom cat and getting its eyes scratched.

Last edited:
So a pack of coyotes are going to come in my yard and attack my dogs because why?

They are hungry. I know of 2 cases where coyotes have done that around here. One case they had the dog up against the house. The owner got there in time to save the dog.

Gosh all this talk of Yotes killing dogs for food or fun makes me wonder why guys use dog to protect there herds and flocks it appears the would just be providing the Yotes a free meal. Don't get me wrong I'll shoot a yote any chance I get but of all the things that will hurt my dogs Yotes are not high on my list.

I have a neighbor lady that takes her dogs for a walk in the evening when the weather is good. There have been a few times when coyotes followed them home. The plane put a stop too that.

Tell the neighbor before you start firing.

:)

ha ha. Yes I called him earlier in the day. He called me back and was out and about before I got home looking for them.

One of my other neighbors had a calf killed by some coyotes last fall.

I posted in another thread about the two coyotes on the land I am buying, stalking my young setter. I could see exactly what was going on, they were trying to get close enough without being seen, to attack my pup. Then when I ran at them they did not move off very quickly. They did not show much fear at all.

This type of behavior is not going to be tolerated, and once I close on the ground, there will be a new sheriff in town.

Just out of curiosity, is there any market for green hides? Now that bird hunting season is effectively over might be time to take out the .22-250. Where do you find buyers? No sense wasting...

2 years ago I was out back waiting for my lab to do his business. We had a coyote come right with 10 yards of us. Winston chased him over the hill, then I saw another coyote move in towards my dog.

I called the dog back, grabbed a shovel and ran back there to chase them off. They walked about 40 yards away from me. I started walking back to the house. When I look back they were 10 yards behind me coming in closer:eek:. Almost saying they could give too hoots about me and my shovel.:rolleyes:

Anyway, the next night my wife and I woke up to barking and howling out back. I turned the outside light on and there stood a whole pack of coyotes right outside my sliding-glass door. It seemed to me, the were back for my dog. Almost to teach him a lesson for chasing one of their own. They just stood there facing the door of our home howling.

A week later a neighbor and her rottie had to escape into someones car. She had coyotes following right behind her and her dog. They were within feet of her.

I could go on with the coyote issues around here. They've formed packs. One or two coyotes aren't a deal. But 8-12 of them is something to be a bit concerned about.

This is off subject a bit, but these videos show a couple coyotes taking deer down.

http://youtu.be/FU4d-EmM08w

http://youtu.be/lgjaz2RdcJc

I have not seen where 1 lone coyote is much of a problem for a fair sized dog. But a group of them is nothing to be taken lightly.

Coyotes kill other canines if they are coming around your dog they aren't looking for a friend. They may or may not kill your dog but I'd call them and kill them why chance it? Plus they are fun to call and shoot. In rare cases they have gone after adult humans but if somebody is fine having them around home rock on.

P.s nobody uses labs or other sporting dogs to guard their sheep.

Not sure where or what sub species are in others area, but the northern yotes around MN are bigger then 30 lbs. Many of my friends and dad have shot are 45-50 lbs and bigger. Coon we shot all the time weighed 30 plus. I was at a night hunt with a brace of 4 coon hounds in the woods, they attacked all the dogs and ran them out of the woods with injury to all. Mine was the last one out with ears tore up and several bites. Coon hounds are tough as heck and put up a good fight. We think there was luckily only 2 yotes maybe 3 based on the commotion. A bigger pack would have had one or more of those dogs we believe. I know folks near the metro that have lost dogs from their yards to yotes. Yotes are shot every year much bigger then 30 lbs. They are not a nice critter to have too many of. There are I think 19 sub species of yotes, the largest of which is the northern dogs found around here. My dogs are 32-50 lbs, and these that I have seen are that big and bigger. Often called a brush wolf by locals.

Coyotes typically grow to 30–34 in (76–86 cm) in length, not counting a tail of 12–16 in (30–41 cm), stand about 23–26 in (58–66 cm) at the shoulder and weigh from 15–46 lb (6.8–21 kg).[3][11] Northern coyotes are typically larger than southern subspecies, with the largest coyotes on record weighing 74.75 pounds (33.91 kg) and measuring 1.75 m (5.7 ft) in total lengt

Back