Cold weather dog? yours?

FieldKing

1st 2 years when winter hit and when it got below 25 I brought him in the garage, he loved it, in a nice carry light with straw beeding, after a couple of weeks this year he would hunker back in his outdoor house in the kennel, I would reach in and make him come in, finally after feeling that he was warm to the touch I just let him stay, I would call but he does not want to come inside, I freshen the water, check the feed, but he likes it out there, I did build his house with 1/2" rigid foam board insulation then plywood, but door is open, anyone else dog love it outside in the cold?

My GSP doesnt like cold for a long period of time. He has to wear a coat if he is out for more than 30 mins.

Mine stayed in my house as much as possible. i dunno if you leave your dog out all night or what, but mine was indoor dog and out when im out.

How is your dog house set up? is it where he walks in and takes a left and thats the room? or is it just a straight house with no wind blocks other than the walls?

my parents have a mix golden/english settler. they straw and she hunkers in that during heavy snow and frigid cold.

now my GSP, hes indoor so hes not no issues.

cold

weve been over this and over this what do the big boys do that sell dogs and breed them that have 30 to 50 dogs they all come in the garage and in bed NOT they stay outside and do fine!

weve been over this and over this what do the big boys do that sell dogs and breed them that have 30 to 50 dogs they all come in the garage and in bed NOT they stay outside and do fine!

i agree. if i wanted my dog to stay outside. he'll adapt and stay.. it may be toture to them, but they will adjust.

I got a yard and a doggie door for the garage. he's opt to go in or out... but at nights, hes in the house. why? wife said so. Apparently I PAID for the dog and i have no say.

My dog asks to go out in the kennel, when its cold. He has an insulated dog house to use if he wants it. Normally he is laying on a carpeted pallet (I made to get him up off the concrete). He loves it on there, curled up in a ball. He does come in at night and sleeps in a crate........Bob

Last edited:

well if subjects on forums were not gone over again and again u can just shut the forum down, most people will not search for hours for back post to find out what they want, people posting questions and getting conversation going is why forums exist! I understand your point about the big kennels though, but my question was about my dog changing now that he got older, he use to be fine with coming in but now prefers the outside house!

ok

right on i just like new topics same old ones get boring like shot sizes in guns i dont know how many times that has been brought up or dog food brands lol

As a Moderator, I will give my view on why these things come up so often. In the past few days this forum has gotten a lot of New Members. In one evening from 5-9 (my time,) we got 5 new members. They are the reason we permit these things to be rehashed. They have the same right, just as you did when you joined, to get these questions answered.........Bob

true

right on if i recall bob you were also saying we will rehash this shot size again that is above us now but your point is well taken i forget about new members and the same old topics

As a Moderator, I will give my view on why these things come up so often. In the past few days this forum has gotten a lot of New Members. In one evening from 5-9 (my time,) we got 5 new members. They are the reason we permit these things to be rehashed. They have the same right, just as you did when you joined, to get these questions answered.........Bob

Well ain't that what it is all about? If not shut er down, not being an as**** but jeez, if we cannot ask or start topics without some guy who stays online complaining that this is old news then we might as well not have the forum?

Whether or not is "old news" that fact remains that we care about our dogs. If you think it's too cold then bring them in if not leave them out. Torture is not a good word to use around me and my typing fingers as I rescue many GSP's that have gone through some hard times. If you can create a SAFE environment outside then great; if not create one inside. Mine come in at night and out by 7:00 am. It is usually colder at that time than the night; however, the sun is just around the corner and the dog houses are insulated and full of prairie grass (it holds together better than straw). Just my 2 cents...

Whether or not is "old news" that fact remains that we care about our dogs. If you think it's too cold then bring them in if not leave them out. Torture is not a good word to use around me and my typing fingers as I rescue many GSP's that have gone through some hard times. If you can create a SAFE environment outside then great; if not create one inside. Mine come in at night and out by 7:00 am. It is usually colder at that time than the night; however, the sun is just around the corner and the dog houses are insulated and full of prairie grass (it holds together better than straw). Just my 2 cents...

I totally agree.. my dog would not stay outside for any longer than 15 mins if its minus any weather... my dog can handle 30 plus weather, but when its 15 degrees out.. i wont keep him outside.

i consider this......

dress in just shorts and a t-shirt.. go outside.. if you cant stand for more than 10 mins.. then you shouldnt let a GSP out.. they are thin layered of fur dogs.

Huskies on the other hand have two heavy coats.. they are designed for cold. GSP are designed for hunting, not sledding. most 99% of the time, hunting is done when its a fair to good condition. would you hunt in a blizzard with -22 wind chill? if you say no i wouldnt!! then dont send your dog out. simple as that.

All 6 of my dogs are in the house. They would be happy to be in the kennel if it was 0 to 25 above and no wind and so would I. We just can't get there for more than a few hours. It's a matter of degrees. I'll get some pics one of these days.
________
SIMCA ESPLANADA

Last edited:
I totally agree.. my dog would not stay outside for any longer than 15 mins if its minus any weather... my dog can handle 30 plus weather, but when its 15 degrees out.. i wont keep him outside.

i consider this......

dress in just shorts and a t-shirt.. go outside.. if you cant stand for more than 10 mins.. then you shouldnt let a GSP out.. they are thin layered of fur dogs.

Huskies on the other hand have two heavy coats.. they are designed for cold. GSP are designed for hunting, not sledding. most 99% of the time, hunting is done when its a fair to good condition. would you hunt in a blizzard with -22 wind chill? if you say no i wouldnt!! then dont send your dog out. simple as that.
simple as that its called shelter from wind straw,wood chips, and they are fine if your dog cant take that then how in the heck would he hunt in 0 degree weather i guess i should tell all the big time kennels who have lots of dogs bring all your dogs in its to hard on them in barrels with straw HELLO!

Our dogs are indoors all of the time I don't have enough room for kennels

Here is Gunner (Pudel Pointer) loves to play in the snow.

GIVE ME A KISS UNCLE BUCK !!!

2944b79dc9d8935b.jpg

DONE!!! I HAD ONE CHESSIE AND HE USED TO SIT ON TOP OF THE DOGHOUSE IN A BLIZZARD. THE pUDS WOULD PLAY ALL DAY IN THE SNOW REGARDLESS OF COLD AS LONG AS THEY CAN KEEP MOVING.
________
WEED NEWS

Last edited:
haha thats a great picture!

I myself did hunt in a blizzard conditions this year. it was 15 degrees with 30-40 mph winds and 50mph gusts with a 1/4 to 1/2 ice covering everything. It sucked with the biting wind but it was fun. I walked a small creek with a bunch of cattails that held birds. When the birds flushed they hit the iced over cover and couldn't break through. They just fell right back down! It was fun figuring where they were gonna come out at. The dog couldn't tell the difference in the weather either.

He stays inside seeing as I dont have a dog house for him yet but thats alright he does make a good blanket on those cold cold nights.

Back