Chicken killer

RoosterTim

So my GSP got into my neighbors chicken pen and may have dispatched all of his laying hens. I am leaning toward that she was just doing what she was bred to do but don't want this to happen ever again. And I know keep her out of the pen be a good neighbor.

Ah:eek:. That's no good. Yeah, at this point keeping the dog away from his property will be a good idea;).

Are you replacing his hen's? Maybe do a little something more to smooth things over with him too:confused:. God forbid the dog does something like this again.

One of my dogs retrieved a neighbors chicken and I think it died of fright. Not a feather out of place. What a nightmare it started. I spent 3 weeks and $2000 fencing our 5 acres and we still get blamed for every thing that wrong in the world. I even got messages that my dog killed 6 more of her chickens while we were 200 miles away pheasant hunting.

My advice- appease the neighbors if possible and make an extra effort to see you dog doesn't develop 'hard mouth'. In my earlier days I figured if my dog brought back a bird with wounds that didn't have blood in them that it was dead when it happened.

Good luck- you're going to need it.

All of my bird dogs are "yard bird" broke without I'll effect to their prey drive. Sadly it takes more than one mis hap to do. Luckily my dogs only killed my own chickens.:eek:

david0311

So my GSP got into my neighbors chicken pen and may have dispatched all of his laying hens. I am leaning toward that she was just doing what she was bred to do but don't want this to happen ever again. And I know keep her out of the pen be a good neighbor.

R U sure it was your dog? Killing them all sounds more like preditor--Mink-Coyote etc,

dc

so is there a question in there somewhere or?

all my dogs have done it.
The first time I had left the dog with my sister while I was on my honeymoon. They had left her out and she had killed 6 or 8 before they caught her. When I pulled up there were feathers every where and she was back in the kennel. Another time a different dog caught one through the wire of the cage causing a commotion and prompting a second one to escape which was quickly caught.
Current dog we were helping an inlaw with some work when the aunts pulled up and decided a kennel was no place to keep a dog. Latest one my fault, I had pulled the kennel out of the sun while I was doing something and when I went to load him and the box back up he quickly bolted and caught one.

I wouldn't trust a bird dog anywhere near someone elses chickens. Even one with a softmouth. Chickens have no will to live.
Do the right thing and move!

I'm getting more convinced that it was not her that killed them. She is a great retriever and I was outside and in the workshop at the time and she did not bring a single bird back to me. Also there were no parts of the chikens left. I don't think one shorthair could eat eight chicken in 15 minutes.

david0311

I'm getting more convinced that it was not her that killed them. She is a great retriever and I was outside and in the workshop at the time and she did not bring a single bird back to me. Also there were no parts of the chikens left. I don't think one shorthair could eat eight chicken in 15 minutes.

Something did not seem right from the first post--You said there were no parts or chickens left in the area?

Based on many years of predation complaints --I'd darn well want some evidence of guilt before taking responsablity--:cheers:

I've seen foxes grab food, hide it, then go back of more. Not sure if a coyote would be as smooth:confused: but coyotes can do some damage very fast and leave little to nothing behind. Especially if they're competing with other coyotes for the same meal.

Other predators such as mink, weasel, owls, and hawks would leave proof behind. Mink tend to bite the back of the necks, weasels the throat, and owls/hawks (if in the pen) would most likely consume a chicken on the ground of the pen.

david0311

I've seen foxes grab food, hide it, then go back of more. Not sure if a coyote would be as smooth:confused: but coyotes can do some damage very fast and leave little to nothing behind. Especially if they're competing with other coyotes for the same meal.

Other predators such as mink, weasel, owls, and hawks would leave proof behind. Mink tend to bite the back of the necks, weasels the throat, and owls/hawks (if in the pen) would most likely consume a chicken on the ground of the pen.

All above right on--did not want to go into that much detail--my first guess and just a guess-- that-- if coyotes present in area--female teaching young how to kill--just most likely imho--something just not right with no evidence what so ever--

If owl-Great horned by far most likely--pin down an rip head of--will kill many but consume on site--

Again I would not accept any wrong doing with out evidence of guilt--:rolleyes:

I'm with the nay sayers! Any dog who comes home without evidence of feathers or blood spatter, is likely innocent. Hard to believe she would come home with out evidence of the prize, to show you. Of course we can do scatology, feathers do not completely digest, like the bear who killed the camper has red flannel out the other end, so does the dog. Invite your neighbor for the unveiling. My guess is bobcat, fast, sneaky, never even no their there. A guy saw a your dog loose, and assumed the worst.

I hope you are right and it was not your dog.
I had sheep years ago and had a neighbor who let his dogs run loose. I lost several sheep to his to dogs and he took no responsibility (said he did not think it was his dogs) so animal control brought us over box traps and we trapped his dogs in the pen with my sheep and off they went to the pound. We would have also been in our rights to shoot this mans dogs but decided to trap them instead. FYI it is also within a livestock owners rights to go after your homeowners insurance for moneys lost on livestock.

When you say no parts left- do you mean no feathers, nothing?

Dogs will kill chickens for sport but It's a big dog that can eat 8 chickens. I've seen coop that raccoons got in and killed them but just ate the parts they wanted.

It really doesn't matter if your dog did it or not- it's what your neighbor thinks and what kind of a relationship you want to live with.

david0311

When you say no parts left- do you mean no feathers, nothing?

Dogs will kill chickens for sport but It's a big dog that can eat 8 chickens. I've seen coop that raccoons got in and killed them but just ate the parts they wanted.

It really doesn't matter if your dog did it or not- it's what your neighbor thinks and what kind of a relationship you want to live with.

Sorry do not agree at all:

Dog should not be blamed and owner of dog responsible if not guilty-

Owner of chickens should find out what is really harming chickens (if they don't already)

I was first to question this and the more I hear the more it does not make sense or pass the smell test

I was called out on to many depredation complaints in my career that were not what presented-- thought --or in some cases an out right attempts to collect damages they were not entitled to and damn well knew it in more than one case--

Sorry but I would rather be thought of as a a** h*** (which would leave you with many in agreement:eek::) ) than stupid or gullible

JMO :cheers:

My guess is bobcat, fast, sneaky, never even no their there. A guy saw a your dog loose, and assumed the worst.

Do you think a bob cat could take eight of them though? Unless they kill and hide their prey too:confused:

To many unknowns at this point. Id say 50/50 on the dog. If it was a pred. it should happen again. Same with the dog if he/she gets out again. Simple test: Let the dog out and spy on him/her, meaning provide a way for it to get out without people being present. If he/she killed 8, should make a beeline to the pen. And a shock collar will do the trick rather quickly. Dog will think that big Rooster is a badass, wont be going over there anymore.

The only evidence hat was left were piles of feathers and blood at several locations. I did not chech the dog for blood but I think I would have noticed if she was bloody. We have a coyote problem around here so that is the way I'm leaning. The neighbors and my family are very good friends so no issues between us. All is forgiven. I'm still going to help replace the birds as my daughter was helping take care of them while the neighbors are away. I shot two roosters over Christmas and she brought each one back like she was supposed to. Not a feather out of place so my worries of her tearing up birds is put to rest. Thanks all for the advice

Back